The Student Room Group

Books with sad endings?

Scroll to see replies

Any of the Twilight ones. They're all pretty sad and so are most of the people that read them.
Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman :cry:

Book spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
I thought "The Sun Also Rises" had quite a sad ending, in a kind of reflective way.

1984-- tbh it's a book everybody should read anyway.

Metamorphosis.
Allegiant from the Divergent series and Mockingjay from Hunger Games series:frown:
Shadow Kissed and Blood Promise from Vampire Academy(3rd and 4th book) - cried from end of shadow kissed til end of blood promise.
The Bridge to Terabithia. I think it was the first story I was truly devastated by the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
I'm going to suggest "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly. You may or may not find the ending sad, for example I found it beautiful but my granddad and mother found it depressing. It's a wonderful novel anyway, no loss if you don't find it sad
(edited 9 years ago)
One Day by David Nichols. The ending was so unfair but also really realistic. I was bawling 😭 and then there is A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I was crying. While reading it. In my English lit lesson...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of Mice and Men - it's a relatively short and easy to read book, but carries deeper layers of meaning; it's brief but evocative, it's sad but beautiful.
(edited 9 years ago)
'My sister lives on the Mantelpiece' and 'Ketchup Clouds', both by Annabel Pitcher, resulted in me bawling my eyes out at the end. They were incredible novels but resulted in an interesting train journey with four women on their way home from work trying to comfort me because I was sobbing that hysterically.
Sad ending? Love Story. It's proper absorbing and such a tearjearker! :frown:
Reply 70
Private Peaceful
Original post by Luffy.
A level books. After reading those for 2 years and when you got Us. Its a sad ending.

lmaoo!!
Bridge to Terabithia just broke my heart when I first read it (and every time since)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Original post by Fashion Girl
Sad ending? Love Story. It's proper absorbing and such a tearjearker! :frown:

The book which was filmed in 1970? the one where a young married woman died of leukaemia? have watched it a week ago coincidentally. Indeed, it was tragically.
Brave New World

c:
while when done right (as opposed to having been done for the sake of it) i can appreciate them, i wouldn't say i prefer sad endings. :lol: but some books i've read with them are:

soulmates by holly black.
in bloom by matthew crow.
me, earl and the dying girl by jesse andrews.
we were liars by e. e. lockheart.

and i don't know whether you've read cat clarke's other books, but undone was quite a good book by her with a sad ending (as most of her books tend to :lol:).

happy reading! :five:
The Book Thief. Honest to God, I don't cry much but I was a effing mess after reading that. I still read it because it's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read but every time I cry like a baby.
Original post by happysmile
Of Mice and Men - it's a relatively short and easy to read book, but carries deeper layers of meaning; it's brief but evocative, it's sad but beautiful.

I had to analyse Of Mice and Men until it screamed for mercy in my GCSE literature exam; I lost all ability to be emotionally affected by it! (I can appreciate Steinbeck and the emotional impact he created with it though :smile:)
Reply 79
All the bright places made me cry THREE TIMES. Saddest crap ever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending