The Student Room Group

Landing a job without prior experience?

Hey, guys!

This is difficult for me to say but, I'm at university and am looking for a job. My background experience in ANYTHING is terrible (in short, I have NO experience in ANYTHING, so technically, I have an empty CV - this has actually caused me trouble with getting into a good university despite good grades). I have reasons for this, but it's so weird that I hardly think any employer would even care. My question is, what kind of part time jobs can I land (preferably a job which I can earn at least £200 a month) with such little experience? ARE there any jobs out there that could accept me despite my lack of experience? And if anybody is willing to help me out with my CV, I'd very much appreciate it. Please let me know. Thanks!
hey, i've finished university and i'm struggling with little to no experience as well. I assume most people would say volunteer, it would be good if you can afford to work for free.
I have experience and am unable to get work after finishing my MSc.

Volunteering in a local charity shop is an excellent way to get retail skills.

Really it is down to mainly luck, as it depends if they are looking to train you up, depends on the strengths of the other applicants, and depends how many people have applied. Another aspect that helps if connections within the local community so at least you can hear on the grapevine if anywhere is suddenly advertising or if anyone is considering it. If the latter then you need to talk to the manager about the rumour and give over a CV as if you make a good impression you should land the job and save them having to advertise the post (I have landed a job by this blind luck before).

I would avoid handing a CV out around the town centre as its a waste of your time. You are far better spending time producing targeted tailored CVs and cover letters for jobs that are being advertised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending