The Student Room Group

Is teaching a well paid job ?

Unsure whether to be a solicitor or Geography teacher ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Not hugely, admittedly it does go up each year, and NQT's are easier to employ cos they are cheaper you tend to start on about £19,000 per annum, my mum was on about £38,000 before she did her NPQH and now on about £40,000 as head teacher. The thing with teaching is you really need to love it for it to be worth it, so many young NQT's give it up in the first year because its not what they thought it was, it's a lot harder and not as enjoyable as people think. If you are not sure, don't waste your time.
Reply 2
The principal teachers of my school are on £40,000 a year, head teacher is about £70-80K. It all depends where you're teaching, how far you go up the ladder and the size of the school. Secondary teachers get paid more, a primary school teacher doesn't get a great wage normally.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
At secondary level around 22k going up to around 35k. Higher for senior teachers (heads of departments, assistant headteachers, headteachers).

Whether you think that's good enough will be down to you. It is an above average salary, reasonably comfortable, but not exactly "well paid" especially considering the hours involved (not just teaching but also lesson planning, marking, other admin, parent teacher meetings, report writing, stress of OFSTED inspections..)

Your earning potential may be greater as a solicitor, if at a large regional, national or international firm. A senior teacher (15 to 20 years experience) may earn around the same, or more, than a solicitor in a high street firm. Particularly a solicitor who isn't a partner. But a partnet or solicitor in a large regional firm will earn more.

Both roles will require you to determination and for you to enjoy what you are doing otherwise you will be at a higher risk of burning out.

I'm assuming you are about 17? You don't need to decide on your career at this young age.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Im 18 & I can't decide what course to study at university though :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by AmyFretters

As has been explained to you a billion times on the dozen or so identical threads you now have clogging up the front page...

if you study law, you cannot be a geography teacher.
if you study geography, the option remains open for you to become a lawyer.

Since as much as you seem keen to do is keep your options open, it would seem that geography is for you the better choice at present.
Reply 6
Does it have to be teaching geography though? You could apply for a law degree and then it you definitely want to go into teaching afterwards, you could teach A Level Law :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AmyFretters

Yes, I know. I've been merging all your threads :p:

I know you're trying to decide what to do at university, but you need to appreciate that whatever you decide to study, you will have many options.

As people have said, you don't need to study law as an undergraduate degree to become a solicitor. So if you chose Geography you can still become a solicitor.

Say if you were to do Geography you could spend your time doing some relevant volunteering such as tutoring. There are organisations such as Student Community Action who help place students into voluntary projects in the community and this can include tutoring. You can also try and get work experience in law firms during the summer, either through advertised internships or through placements in local firms that you organise yourself. This will give you an insight into both professions.

After your degree you can then chose to go into teaching by doing the PGCE. If you decide to go into law you can do the conversion course (GDL).

You don't need to decide now. The degree you do at university will not determine your career.

If I were in your position and really couldn't chose, or was feeling far more passionate about Geography, I would chose Geography. You will need to study a Geography degree (or a degree with at least 50% Geography content) in order to become a Geography teacher. When you graduate you will then have law as an option as well as the usual Graduate schemes (Civil Service fast stream, NHS managerial scheme, retail and business management schemes to name just a fraction).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
What type of teacher? An NQT outside London is going to making a lot less than a 'superhead'.

Ditto what kind of lawyer? A Magic Circle equity partner isn't going to be making the same as a high street solicitor.

My sister had the same decision to make about Geography or Law with the same career aspirations. My parents are both teachers and I do Law/becoming a solicitor and the concensus was to do Geog, for the reasons River outlined above.
Reply 9
???
The struggles of 2012. Any update on what you're doing at uni now? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending