The Student Room Group

14 year old girl gives birth, STRANGLES her newborn then tries to hide the evidence

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh my god..
:lolwut:
Messed up shizz
Reply 4
How baggy must those clothes have been to hide your pregnancy? :eek:
Original post by jumblehunter
I've just been watching the news and visited the BBC website recently, whilst listening to Radio 4 on the way back from school. I smell a troll, and a bad one at that.

#Trollinthedungeon.

This isn't a local story, tool -_- It probably hasn't been covered as much by the UK press. More articles on it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/cassidy-goodson-14-year-old-mom-kill-newborn_n_2154995.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2210159/Florida-teen-14-charged-degree-murder-strangles-newborn-baby-hides-body-shoe-box-dumps-laundry.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jumblehunter
I've just been watching the news and visited the BBC website recently, whilst listening to Radio 4 on the way back from school. I smell a troll, and a bad one at that.

#Trollinthedungeon.

Why would new evidence to a murder from 2 months ago - in America! - make UK national news?

There are so many murders every day in America, and few make the news across here. Even UK murders don't always make national news!
Wow...
I dont care what people think of me saying this but;

She should not have been tried as an adult.

She is a young girl who clearly needs help.

What the hell is prison going to do? "And dont kill your newborn again"

Brilliant move America. Excellent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)

What the hell is life in prison going to do? "And dont kill your newborn again"

i agree with you but america will unfortunately put this little girl behind bars

I couldn't agree more
While obviously worse, it doesn't seem that different to abortion to me. You of course shouldn't treat them the same, but I don't see how you can find one completely acceptable and one abhorrent.
wow at the comments..

"Poor little newborn. Shame on her parents for raising a child like this. Only in a world where abortions are legal can something like this happen."

The ****? How in the....sigh.
That's incredibly sad. The girl must have been terrified to hide her whole pregnancy, give birth alone and then kill the baby. She must be traumatised after going through all of that and having no-one to talk about it for the whole time. To try her as a adult is absolutely awful and will achieve nothing but cause more suffering for a family already going through a lot of pain. It is completely unfair to treat an emotionally unstable, frightened child the same as an adult who intentionally killed someone.
Reply 14
There are quite a few similar cases in the US where a young person is put in a crappy situation, ends up fighting their way out of it but end up in prison forever. I heard about another case with a teenager who had been pimped and forced to have underage sex for years... she killed the pimp in self defence when he assaulted her for the billionth time after years of abuse... boom, locked up for life. She's still there.

The US "Justice" system really is medieval and totally unjust as well as being wildly inconsistent between different areas of the same state let alone the entire country [Federal justice only applies if the crime affects the entire country i.e. terrorism or was committed in a number of states IIRC].

Original post by sucess
i agree with you but america will unfortunately put this little girl behind bars

What's really shocking is that the US Supreme Court ban on executions for crimes committed under the age of 18 was only introduced in 2005. Even then, it was only a 5-4 majority so there were still some who agreed with it. This overturned a ruling in... wait for it... 1989 stating that it was still okay to execute 16 and 17 year olds.

As recently as the 1950s teenagers of her age and sometimes slightly younger were being sent to the electric chair.
(edited 11 years ago)
****. imagine living the rest of your life knowing you did this. Also imagine being stupid enough to leave the corpse hanging around in your house for 3 days.
(edited 11 years ago)
the girl does deserve prison she still murdered a human life and she is old enough to know exactly what she was doing.

I don't agree with her being tried as an adult though how is that even posibble she definetley needs help so put her through a children court or whatever you call it and give her mental help along with the punishment.
Reply 17
Original post by callum9999
While obviously worse, it doesn't seem that different to abortion to me. You of course shouldn't treat them the same, but I don't see how you can find one completely acceptable and one abhorrent.

I know several jurisdictions have an offence of infanticide, separate from murder. It purports to recognise the mental state and diminished responsibility of new mothers soon after the birth of a child.

I recognise something in what you say - if there was to be an acceptance of late-term abortion, infanticide isn't much different. I seem to recall the Romans being fine with it - if the head of the family didn't accept a child, it'd be left outside to die of exposure just after birth.

Original post by ch0llima
There are quite a few similar cases in the US where a young person is put in a crappy situation, ends up fighting their way out of it but end up in prison forever. I heard about another case with a teenager who had been pimped and forced to have underage sex for years... she killed the pimp in self defence when he assaulted her for the billionth time after years of abuse... boom, locked up for life. She's still there.

Well clearly the courts - who were in fuller possession of the evidence than you are - didn't come to the same conclusion that it was self-defence. Because that's not a crime.

For one, it punishes a fairly obscene crime in a vaguely fitting way. Secondly, it potentially allows the state to - if seen as necessary - instill certain moral values in the girl that she has lacked. Thirdly, it conveys a message that such behaviour will not be tolerated.
Sickening
Reply 19

I agree, as horrible and devastating as it is, she is a child herself who obviously had no idea what to do and needs some help. If you add that birth can sometimes mess people up mentally then its a pretty bad mix.

I cant understand how her mother didnt know, i dont even live with my mum and she would know if i was pregnant even with baggy tops etc.

In fact it says a lot about the relationship with her parents that she couldnt go to them for help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending