The Student Room Group

I'm a good weight but my belly's fat!!

Scroll to see replies

Women are biologically made to store fat around their abdomens, for the purpose of protecting the organs that allow us to carry babies. You will always carry a certain amount of fat around this area; if you are underweight then to lose any more would be unhealthy.
I do not know how you could tone this area but perhaps some light stretching which would use the muscles may help? Running will only burn more fat and does not tone the tummy area.
Instead of doing endless cardio which burns fat more than anything else, try starting some weight training. Even if you don't want to lift at a gym, doing things like planks, crunches, sit ups, push ups, pull ups etc will all help.. but you have to eat more as well otherwise you won't get anywhere.
Original post by amberox
Because i'm concerned. And if I don't get an answer that's going to help me achieve what I am looking for, what am I supposed to do.. give up? No. I've put in so much effort to get to the stage I am at now and I want to be 100% happy with how I look and some people have gave me some really helpful and supportive advice which has made me feel better.
No offence but if you don't like it ignore it. It's not difficult is it? The only reason you're posting on this is so others will agree with you to give you a boost.

You've been given plenty of advice but you're obviously not taking it. Making multiple threads hoping for an easy fix or the answer you want to hear is not gonna happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
There is no such thing as spot fat removal. If you're exercising correctly, I suggest you look into your diet (people who normally think they are eating right...are not^^) Calculate how many cards/protein etc you should be having in a day & plan your diet. Don't worry about losing it from a specific place. If you do it properly you will have an overall better body shape anyway. Make sure you know what you're eating ^^ gl gl.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by silent ninja
You've been given plenty of advice but you're obviously not taking it. Making multiple threads hoping for an easy fix or the answer you want to hear is not gonna happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And how would you know this? I have been taking people's advice but there are many people saying different things. Most people have been saying eat normally and exercise which I have been doing and still losing weight in other places. Why you feel I have to explain this to you, I have no idea.. You don't know me or how I feel about my body, I purely post threads for advice and help, not for rude people like you to criticize what I am doing.
And as for an 'easy fix' you obviously haven't read my previous threads. I have already said I have been on a diet for over 6 months to improve my health and looks. If you think this is an 'easy fix' then please explain what is not an easy fix.
Now if you still feel the need to criticize what I am doing then carry on but I don't really understand what you are gaining from it. Like I have said I am carrying on to post threads to get other people's advice and tips, if you don't like it, then leave. Simple.
You need to see a doctor about your self-image issues. Lift some weights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You say your stomach is flabby - do you mean it's still fatty or it's just not toned? If there's not much fat there it could just be that the muscle needs toning; the advice about situps should work as it will help tone the muscles and tighten things up. Since you're only 15 your body will do this a bit on it's own as well, if you give it a few months.

If your stomach is still fatty then I'd need to tell you that you can't target fat-loss in one area. I'd love to tell you that it was possible, but sadly it's against the rules of the universe. When your body burns fat it does it from all over. Because you're only 15, your body is at the point where it's going to start change shape anyway and become more curvy (NOT fat, just curvy. Like Beyonce :biggrin:). It will naturally start collecting more fat on your bum, belly and boobs (hooray for boobs!), but this isn't necessarily EVIL fat, it's just WOMAN fat.

For the next couple of years the important thing for you isn't going to be losing fat so much as making sure you keep eating well (i.e. good food, not over-eating of sugar and junk) so that your body can grow healthily into the shape it's going to be, rather than it fighting you as you starve it and wear it out with too much exercise on not enough food. When you get to 18/19 that's a good chance to stop, see how your body has womanised, and then look at a new health and fitness plan to make the most of your new shape.

Original post by amberox
I want to be 100% happy with how I look
Don't we all! But being happy with how you look isn't always about trying to force your body into the shape of your dreams with a tiny tummy and massive breasts. It's about learning that you are the person that you are, and even if you never look any different that's totally ok. To say "I'm 83% happy, and that's pretty good!" Look around next time you go shopping and see how many people there are that look different from you, with funny noses or a couple of spots. Very few of them will make you go "Ugh! Gross!" and they certainly don't see you that way. We all have to learn this.
Reply 27
Original post by FlyingTeapot
You say your stomach is flabby - do you mean it's still fatty or it's just not toned? If there's not much fat there it could just be that the muscle needs toning; the advice about situps should work as it will help tone the muscles and tighten things up. Since you're only 15 your body will do this a bit on it's own as well, if you give it a few months.

If your stomach is still fatty then I'd need to tell you that you can't target fat-loss in one area. I'd love to tell you that it was possible, but sadly it's against the rules of the universe. When your body burns fat it does it from all over. Because you're only 15, your body is at the point where it's going to start change shape anyway and become more curvy (NOT fat, just curvy. Like Beyonce :biggrin:). It will naturally start collecting more fat on your bum, belly and boobs (hooray for boobs!), but this isn't necessarily EVIL fat, it's just WOMAN fat.

For the next couple of years the important thing for you isn't going to be losing fat so much as making sure you keep eating well (i.e. good food, not over-eating of sugar and junk) so that your body can grow healthily into the shape it's going to be, rather than it fighting you as you starve it and wear it out with too much exercise on not enough food. When you get to 18/19 that's a good chance to stop, see how your body has womanised, and then look at a new health and fitness plan to make the most of your new shape.

Don't we all! But being happy with how you look isn't always about trying to force your body into the shape of your dreams with a tiny tummy and massive breasts. It's about learning that you are the person that you are, and even if you never look any different that's totally ok. To say "I'm 83% happy, and that's pretty good!" Look around next time you go shopping and see how many people there are that look different from you, with funny noses or a couple of spots. Very few of them will make you go "Ugh! Gross!" and they certainly don't see you that way. We all have to learn this.

Thank you so much for this! It made me smile and feel a bit better so thanks! :smile: :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by amberox
Thank you so much for this! It made me smile and feel a bit better so thanks! :smile: :smile:

Why don't you just post in one of the other 10 threads you've made on the exact same subject instead of cluttering the fitness forum like this?
Reply 29
Original post by Whelanmk
Why don't you just post in one of the other 10 threads you've made on the exact same subject instead of cluttering the fitness forum like this?

Well this is my last one so stop nagging and I've only posted 3 and 1 of them was months ago.
Reply 30
Cross-posted from one of the other threads since god knows which one is supposed to be the current one:

Original post by mimx
You're skinnyfat. You don't weigh much because you lack muscle but your body composition is still largely fat. Gain some degree of muscle and -then- lose the excess fat and you will look better.

OP I know you're a teenage girl and eating more and lifting weights are apparently the scariest things in the world to you people but that's what you need to do.
Merged your threads into one :smile:.
It's dangerous to get to the point where your period stops. Please eat more. You need enough of the nutritious food, not less of everything. As for the stomach. Try toning exercises to tighten it up. You can't do this without eating properly though. Your body needs calories, fat, protein, etc, everything to repair and grow (that includes toning itself up).
Reply 33
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Merged your threads into one :smile:.

Thank you so much! You're so kind and helpful.
I am thinking of lifting weight but i dont own any is there anything I could use instead or any routines?? :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by amberox
I am thinking of lifting weight but i dont own any is there anything I could use instead or any routines?? :smile:

Why didn't you post in the same thread to start with
Original post by amberox

I used to use my degree textbooks! Actually, that's pretty much the only time I touched them.. they certainly never got read!
Reply 36
Original post by amberox

Well bear in mind doing tons of repetitions at a low weight isn't what you want to be doing either. You need enough weight so that you can do 6-12 reps of whatever exercise you're using them for in order to maximize progress.

Honestly if you really want to do it I'd say sign up for a gym... you can try and fudge it with bodyweight and random household items but proper weights are just so much better. You can find some pretty cheap memberships if you look around. If you're self-conscious or something then hit up a 24 hour one at 4am.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 37
Eat less carbs, more protein....do starting strength 3x a week and sprints 2x a week. In 6 months ready for summer you will be in great shape. I Guarantee you will still look like crap though.
Original post by amberox
Thank you for both your help.
@lattywatty - I have about 750/900 calories a day and lose about 150-250 calories from running about 3 times a week.

I think females are supposed to have around 1,200 calories per day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
But you're 15.. If I was you, just live a little and make sure you have more calories.. I know you have worked hard, but relax a little and not worry about your weight just yet! You're young and seems now you are underweight anyway, so treat yourself to perhaps having more calories, but perhaps something fatty every week like a takeaway..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest