The Student Room Group

What do you think is an appropriate body count?

Me and my guy friends talk about sex a lot and we disagreed on body counts when it comes males and females. What I wanna know is what you think is an appropriate number of sexual partners each sex should have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As many or as few as they want.
Reply 2
There's no right and wrong for me, I don't see why having sex with more, or less, people than someone else could be seen as "more appropriate".

The average in a lifetime is something like 7 for men, and 3 for women, according to studies done.

Edit: The numbers vary a bit depending on the study (admittedly I was a tad wrong, the numbers I mentioned weren't averages among the studies, they are the numbers at which the surveys start ascending), see here for a few webpages: (Yes, I know a couple are journalism articles so shouldn't be trusted, but the source pages seem to have disappeared.)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19374216/ns/health-sexual_health/t/new-survey-tells-how-much-sex-were-having/#.UO4R0jXldBk
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/sex/sexual-health-and-advice/8958520/Average-man-has-9-sexual-partners-in-lifetime-women-have-4.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promiscuity (take a look at the references)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Some of them would say they prefer a really experienced girl as opposed to a virgin and other they don't want a slut.. 3 was the general consensus they eventually reached..
There's usually a double standard in this case also

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by AmbernoRose
Me and my guy friends talk about sex a lot and we disagreed on body counts when it comes males and females. What I wanna know is what you think is an appropriate number of sexual partners each sex should have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe as an expected value you would think it should be proportionate to the density of the area you live in.

So much higher for somebody living in Mumbai or Macau than for somebody living in Wales or Mongolia.
Original post by Treeroy
There's no right and wrong for me, I don't see why having sex with more, or less, people than someone else could be seen as "more appropriate".

The average in a lifetime is something like 7 for men, and 3 for women, according to studies done.

That's nowhere near right. It's roughly 15 for men and 14 for women.
Reply 6
Just like to point out that average (mean) number of sexual partners for men and women must be the same, assuming no one is counting gay sex.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr.Guy
Just like to point out that average (mean) number of sexual partners for men and women must be the same, assuming no one is counting gay sex.

And why would we not count gay sex?
Original post by Mr.Guy

Which is why the statistics of 7 for men and 4 for women is BS.

However, if it's only a country-wide study, a lot of men will have had sex abroad so that's an extra notch for them, but not for women of the surveyed country.
Reply 9
I really don't think it matters at all.
Original post by Mr.Guy

Not necessarily?

M1 W1 W2 W3
M2 W2
M3 W3

Man 1 sleeps with 3 women, the others sleep with only 1 - average = 1.7 (ish)

Woman 1 sleeps with 1 man, the others sleep with 2 - average = 1.3 (ish)
Reply 11
Original post by linkdapink
Not necessarily?

M1 W1 W2 W3
M2 W2
M3 W3

Man 1: 3
Man 2: 1
Man 3: 1
Total: 5

Woman 1: 1
Woman 2: 2
Woman 3: 2
Total : 5

So the average is 5/3 for both.
Original post by Mr.Guy

I'm not even good at maths but I'm pretty sure that's BS.
A man could sleep with 5 women, but each of those women could have only slept with that 1 man. :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by Daniellejo.
I'm not even good at maths but I'm pretty sure that's BS.
A man could sleep with 5 women, but each of those women could have only slept with that 1 man. :s-smilie:

You'd assume the same number of men and women, which is close enough if you look at a whole country. One man sleeping with 5 women, and 4 men sleeping with none brings the men's average down to 1.
Original post by Hopple
You'd assume the same number of men and women, which is close enough if you look at a whole country. One man sleeping with 5 women, and 4 men sleeping with none brings the men's average down to 1.

Yes but going on the assumption that generally men have more sexual partners, then statistics of the country are going to reflect that.
I'm just trying to say that just because there are an equal amount of people in 2 groups; that in no way means that the average has to be identical like the other poster was saying.
Reply 15
Original post by Daniellejo.
Yes but going on the assumption that generally men have more sexual partners, then statistics of the country are going to reflect that.
I'm just trying to say that just because there are an equal amount of people in 2 groups; that in no way means that the average has to be identical like the other poster was saying.

They do have to be equal. Average number for men = total number of sexual encounters / number of men. Average number for women = total number of sexual encounters / number of women.

I am ignoring sexual encounters with the same sex though.
Depends on their age...
By 18 (my age), no more than 2.
Reply 17
Original post by linkdapink
Not necessarily?

M1 W1 W2 W3
M2 W2
M3 W3

lol maths fail.

(3+1+1)/3 = (2+2+1)/3 = 1.67

Its a mathematical identity that the average number of heterosexual sexual partners is identical for both sexes.
Original post by Cryogenic
As many or as few as they want.

Yeah, that
Reply 19
What amazes me most is that people actually keep count of these things. How on earth do they remember, do they write it down in a book somewhere?

I reckon 90% of answers are just made up. I honestly can't remember my number, I couldn't even hazard a guess. TBPH, I couldn't really give a ****. I don't remember how many sandwiches I've eaten either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending