The Student Room Group

What annoys you most about your college/sixth form?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
Mine is way too big, there are about 2000 students at my Sixth Form and most of them are complete nobs.

Oh my god, that's twice as big as my whole school :eek:

We aren't allowed to be at home/outside of school when we have free periods. All of us are in from 9 to 3:30 every day.
Overcrowding, it's a ridiculously small college for the amount of students it has. Also, it does not cater for people who aren't going to university.

But most of all, the fact that if the teacher doesn't do the register within 5 minutes of the lesson starting we all get a text sent home to our parents saying we aren't there! Half of us are 18 so this just feels ridiculous that we aren't solely responsible for our own education.
Distinct lack of amazing teachers (for the sciences anyway)
People that go to it (in my year anyway, other years seemed to be really cool!)
Unhelpful head of year
Registration every day..what is the point?
They make us fill out revision timetables which are utterly ****
I could go on for ages really, I absolutely can't wait for uni :redface:
I like mine, but agree with an earlier post - too old to get half fares and child tickets, yet no student ID to get student rates >:frown:
But that is a universal complaint, not really directed at my school...
Original post by leannesagoodman
The social divisions. There's so much judging and prejudice based just on where you hang out in the college.

That said, it's been pretty good to me. I don't dislike it too much.

Definitely this

My college is pretty big , about 2200 pupils go there . At my college there are two canteens , in one of them everyone knows each other , all the hoodlums and the pretty girls hang in it .

In the other its just everyone else :tongue: . At first I thought it would even out and everyone would be less conceited then to separate themselves based on race , looks etc . But it didn't :confused: in the first canteen everyone talks to each other and they all got to know each other pretty early on , they organise parties and stuff but the second canteen is just full of little cliques where people have their own freindship groups , theres a latina group , a snobbish group , a nerd group etc . This **** is like mean girls :biggrin: I really dislike it tbh I chill in there with my group of friends and im cool with that but I would like to know more people , its a shame the people in the first canteen aren't my type of people anyway.

Theres also quite a lot of segregation :frown: I thought it wouldn't be as bad as this but it is . if your black you hang with black people in the black canteen , its pretty much as bad as that . Im black and I hang around with people of every race so I don't really fit into a clique , I dont care as much as I used to but it does kind of limit my social circle and I think alot of judging goes on around it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by closeenemies
With my college it would be the serious lack of trips, apart from subjects like Photography and Film Studies, there are none!

What's yours?

Unlucky! London zoo on thursday for psychology! We are offered trips for the opera and ballet every term but they're not my kind of thing.

My maths teacher. We do weekly tests and if you get below a certain mark you are named and shamed and she has a go at you. Makes you feel like **** for the whole day.
Reply 26
My college's library -- or 'Learning Resource Centre' -- is extremely full all the time. On top of that classes always book the PCs so that they are never free.
Also, I hate the stools we have to sit on. There is no back support which really takes its toll after a while.

Apart from that it isn't too bad here.
Reply 27
My sixth form was great, the only thing I could think of was mixed ability (perhaps motivation is a better word) classes. Hours were wasted revisiting topics that certain people had been too lazy to pay attention to the first time, and it meant that we often didn't finish the syllabus till a week (or in one case, a few days) before the exam. Still, I don't think there was any way to get around that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
LRC is too small, not enough computers, not enough space to work.
The sheer number of imbeciles there who are jealous of my intellectual gifts.
Original post by Xiomara
Faith school with a non-religious (officially) sixth form makes us attend Mass twice a term.

Twice a term only? Why are you complaining? My primary school made us attend mass every single week!
Reply 31
Love my sixth form!

plenty of areas to work, special area for sixth formers in the library
huge common room
loads of computers in the common room
ping pong. Table
and a stereo. :biggrin:
Even if my first lesson starts at 10:50 I have to be in at 8:45 every day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Mine sixth form's quite good expect for the lack of space to do any work and how everyone's super b****y this year and weren't last year.
Reply 34
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Twice a term only? Why are you complaining? My primary school made us attend mass every single week!

I know, it's not too bad. I think it's more the principle of it as when it comes up, it's always when I only have one lesson/could have left at break time, and I have to wait until the end of the school day when I could have been long gone. :angry:
And the fact that us poor Further Maths students have to have lessons at lunchtime and after school
I'm a 2nd year student at uni now but I can think of lots of things that annoyed me with both the 6th forms (ended up going to two).

First 6th form
-Finally built a new 6th form block except it didn't have an actual common room, just some weird chairs in the hallway between classrooms
-Put all the computers in the study room which was silent study so you couldn't do group presentations together
-Some of the teachers treated us like the rest of the kids- one arranged a cover teacher for us once when she was away
-Hounded you over attendance - I got a letter sent home once because I missed an assembly
-We got weekly print outs of attendance, everything from bunking off to being ill counted the same and my tutor would name and shame people with poor attendance
-Expected us all to apply to university but never gave any help with choosing a course or uni

2nd 6th form:
-Again gave no advice with applying to university
-Not enough computers, plus they were all old and slow and invariably at least one had broken down
-We had a kitchen with fridge and microwave but it was locked 99% of the time
-Head of 6th form was incompetant- never around when you needed to see him and didn't know what he was talking about half the time

At both you had to go to registration daily in the morning but you could leave as soon as your last lesson finished.
Reply 37
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
Mine is way too big, there are about 2000 students at my Sixth Form and most of them are complete nobs.

:O My school (year 7-13) only has 700 students! That's ridiculous how big yours is and yours is only sixth form?????
Original post by Lauren___e
:O My school (year 7-13) only has 700 students! That's ridiculous how big yours is and yours is only sixth form?????

It's pretty big, it's a Sixth Form College :tongue:
Reply 39
No trips ( unless u do geography)
Office dress code (suits, dress shoes etc )
Waking up at 6am EVERY MORNING even though your first lesson is at 11 -_-
No I'd cards --> no discounts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending