The Student Room Group

I didn't meet minimum requirements but got through anyway... (question)

Hi guys

I recently applied to some graduate jobs that I didn't meet the minimum requirements. However I still managed to get through to the interview stages and subsequently to an offer.

The condition was 2:1 and 320 UCAS points which I had and A from both GCSE Maths and English. However I only got a B in Maths and stated this in my application.

I must stress that on the application form I did not hide anything and everything is correct despite not meeting the minimum requirements. However I still got offered a position. I'm not sure whether they have a hidden leeway or if the HR screwed up.

I have confirmed my acceptance of the offer and the next stage is for them to verify my results from my certificates. They will find out that I do not meet their minimum requirements but at the same time I didn't hide this either. Do they have the right to cancel my offer? Surely it's their fault in the first place?

Thanks
Reply 1
This reminds me when I was applying for a placement interview with GSK. I didn’t meet the requirements and so I got rejected, a phew days later it looks like they lowered there standards and offered me an interview. However, by that time I had already found a better place. These places shouldn’t be so quick to reject you as they are still obviously holding your CV on the side. When they did this to me I felt like they were messing me around.
Reply 2
Original post by novadragon849
Hi guys

I recently applied to some graduate jobs that I didn't meet the minimum requirements. However I still managed to get through to the interview stages and subsequently to an offer.

The condition was 2:1 and 320 UCAS points which I had and A from both GCSE Maths and English. However I only got a B in Maths and stated this in my application.

I must stress that on the application form I did not hide anything and everything is correct despite not meeting the minimum requirements. However I still got offered a position. I'm not sure whether they have a hidden leeway or if the HR screwed up.

I have confirmed my acceptance of the offer and the next stage is for them to verify my results from my certificates. They will find out that I do not meet their minimum requirements but at the same time I didn't hide this either. Do they have the right to cancel my offer? Surely it's their fault in the first place?

Thanks

Providing you stated on your application that your maths GCSE grade was a B, not an A, then they cannot cancel your offer - it might have been a HR oversight or, more likely, the rest of your application is strong enough to offset a missed grade in maths. Have you shown you're capable with numbers elsewhere in your application, for example? It doesn't matter which - once you start the job and excel, your maths GCSE grade becomes irrelevant.
I think the HR messed up, it happens... However if they did not noticed the B, I doubt they will notice the B when reading your certificates. Only mention it when they ask about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending