The Student Room Group
Reply 1
gerrard02
I'm thinking of studying computer science at university and i'd like know which different kind of jobs it's possible to have, and the starting salary for a new graduate. I know this might depend on which jobs and which university u've graduated from, but i'd just like to have an approximate figure of how well paid computer science students are.

Thank you

im just finishing my degree in computer science. next year i am starting a pgce course and going to be a secondary school ICT teacher (for my sins!). jobs range from any kind of software engineering techy thing through to financial advice and network maintence, many people set up their own businesses. Graduate jobs start from around 18k and the most extreme go up to about 50-60k for excellent performers in the city. average is probably around 24k though i guess.
Reply 2
grad jobs- £17-30k really. Depends where you're located, what you're doing etc. Average i'd say is about £20k or so (companies such as atos origin, logicaCMG etc pay that).

Don't do comp sci for the attraction of a well paid job at the end of it, the IT industry is pretty damn competitive now :frown: (struggling to find work myself).
Reply 3
Ynox is right, a few years back it was eaiser but now there is a huge amount of godo quality graduates and the market is flooded.

Computer Science is a subject you have to out of passion rather than for a career these days.

I sometimes wished I had done geography or somthing.

Another alternative may be do physics or somthing as you can still easy get an IT job with that but it will also keep your options open.
Reply 4
No idea of any graduate salaries. I dont really know about jobs either. Im a second year IS student, so i should know something. But i dont. :frown:
Reply 5
I can't remember but its all in the Times. What I do remember though is that computer science grads are the most unemployable out of any other subject including gold studies :frown:

Hopefully things will change but its very bleak at the moment, the problem is a lot of grads just don't have the work experience and there are lot of people slightly older who have years of experience as well as a good degree (Pig is a good example).

If you do a computing related subject then taking a year out industry will help massively.

There are still plenty of jobs out there its just stupid amounts of people are applying for them.
gerrard02
I'm thinking of studying computer science at university and i'd like know which different kind of jobs it's possible to have, and the starting salary for a new graduate. I know this might depend on which jobs and which university u've graduated from, but i'd just like to have an approximate figure of how well paid computer science students are.

Thank you

as you go along the degree programme get yourself tech certified,
likewise , MCDBA or OCP or any leading vendor certification, software testing is one hot thing now a days.

and databases and SQL will always be in demand with JAVA as the front end.

learn Java too.

check this out jus as a sampler

http://careers3.accenture.com/Careers/Global/UK/0509_Microsoftnet_UK?c=uk_glrps_1005&link=.net_sL05.net_.net_jobs_uk

http://www.trainingcamp.co.uk/uk/schedules.asp

good luck:biggrin:
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies.

So is it possible that after 1 year after graduating i'll still not have a job? I live in london and i don't know if maybe there are more jobs available in london. do u have any other suggestions of other subjects that involve computer and that are in demand,and also offer a good salary? I heard that communications is a subject that's good to take at the moment. It's just someone that told me that is it true?
Reply 8
comms is covered by CS really (stuff involved is networks etc).

Do CS if you want to work with computers, but have a contingency plan in case you can't get IT industry work.
Reply 9
it's not really a problem for me if my job isn't in the IT industry. Of course it would be better, but the important thing for me is to get a fairly well paid job after i graduate.I heard that it's also possible to work in banks. That would be fine. All i want is not to find myself stuck with no job at all or with a low paid job that anyone with no degree could do.
Reply 10
AT82
I can't remember but its all in the Times. What I do remember though is that computer science grads are the most unemployable out of any other subject including gold studies

i find that hard to believe just because of the fact that ontario universities are placing 100% of their Co-Op students with job placements, and approx. an average of 96% of all ontario computer science students get a job within a year of graduating...however maybe that applies to students who have only taken software - specifically programming...i am taking compsci nxt year and have been warned by almost everyone to not JUST do the programming aspect but also throw in some business-management to increase my background in the field and to prevent becomming stuck in a single position without being able to move up the corporate ladder because i dont have the credentials
Reply 11

Thank you

A Computer Science degree (from a decent university) can lead to many different careers, ranging from Finance & Accountancy, Management Consultancy, Acturial, Teaching and many more. It is a very versatile degree, which shows that the candidate has good mathematical skills, and can cope with projects and deadlines and has good problem solving ability.

Many of my friends who graduated with me last year went into management consulting, mostly with Accenture and PA Consulting, a few also went to Cap Gemini and Logica. Some, including me, decided to opt for Finance (Accountancy, Acturial, Tax), while some decided to go into hardcore programming! And I also know a few going into teaching, so overall there is a whole range of opportunities available for computer science graduates.

Salary depends on which career path you take, my highest earning friend is on about £40k , although the average in consulting is about £35k. If you opt for accountancy then the starting salary is slightly lower at about £26k, which is mostly because your employer has to pay for the exam tuition (ACA/ CIMA etc) which costs an extra £20k a year! However some of my friends working in teaching have a lower pay packet (but many many more holidays!). So overall it really depends on which path you take.

Hope that helps:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending