The Student Room Group

Thursday 7 March 2013 GCSE results - grade boundaries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
I feel sorry for my class a bit because the teacher for Physics wasn't too good but a lot of it came natural because it was a very maths based unit, which is my top ability.

You can use an example such as Stephen Hawking to explain why such boundary setting is not right, 60/60 is 100% and he could easily make the odd mistake yet hardcore revisers, who don't know the subject half as good but didn't make any daft mistakes would get 100%, they deserve an A* but not 100% and he would obviously deserve 100%.If grade boundaries where set low but questions made harder then Stephen Hawking still might make mistakes but would get the 100% and people, who don't really understand the subject would get the A* they deserve and not 100% because they might struggle to even answer the questions but people, who understood the subject could.

Same... Math is probably my best subject but my teacher spent all her time teaching p1. I made so many stupid mistakes its unreal... I didn't know the units so I forgot to convert etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by ChronicBoredom
Do you know where to find the a-level grade boundaries for jan 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

See here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2262612 :smile:
Reply 22
When are the edexcel grade boundaries releasing for 2013 january?
Original post by BO$$MAN
When are the edexcel grade boundaries releasing for 2013 january?

try at 00:01 otherwise at 08:00 in the morning
Reply 24
Original post by Captain Anonymous
try at 00:01 otherwise at 08:00 in the morning

Ok thanks ill check in the morning
Reply 26
Hmm OK History grade boundaries...
When are AQA releasing the grade boundaries?
They're already out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to the first comment on the thread and you'll find a link at the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh man these science boundaries remind me of January 2012 unit 1's ridiculous boundaries :'(
I want to show my friends (who don't go on TSR) the Aqa boundaries at school, but we can't access online forums at school... How do I find the same PDF grade boundaries file as is linked above but using the Aqa website? What buttons do I click! :smile:
Reply 31

Thanks, I've added them to the OP :yy:
Reply 32
OCR's grade boundaries have been released; see the OP. :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Thanks, I've added them to the OP :smile:

There is no "actual" time for when they are released. :wink:

Grade boundaries for the UMS grades are always on the websites because they don't change. It's the raw mark grade boundaries that teachers need that are released at specific times.
Reply 34
Ignore.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Where can I find the gradeB's for English GCSE The Writers Craft?
anyone know if the grade boundaries for chemistry, physics and biology are generally lower/higher than last year's?
Original post by rihannagirl
anyone know if the grade boundaries for chemistry, physics and biology are generally lower/higher than last year's?

what exam board?
Original post by Dalek1099
Grade Boundaries for Physics and Chemistry are shocking and unfair.Grade Boundaries for French are good and the Grade Boundary for Geography is wonderful.I think that grade boundaries should always be kept low as a rule because grade boundaries like 51 for an A* in Physics only discriminate against good pupils through the silly and daft mistakes, which I feel isn't a fair system.Papers should be made harder to be more challenging and to prevent really clever people, from losing out for silly mistake and this system would give A*s to pupils who hasd risen to the challenge and conquered the really tough, extension of spec questions and not missed out by silly mistakes.

I don't understand what you're saying. Only around 5-10% of pupils get an A*, so why should the entire exam change just for a small minority? If the A* boundary is low, the boundaries for other grades will be even lower. A scenario where an average (C) student can only expect to attain 50% or lower is just insane. If pupils want to be stretched, they should take a more difficult exam rather than expecting the entire GCSE specification to change for them.

Besides, good pupils shouldn't be making "silly and daft" mistakes. A mistake is a mistake regardless of how "silly" it is, and if a student who has revised properly does better than a student who may have more innate talent but keeps doing "silly or daft" mistakes because they're not thinking properly, then so be it.

If anything, I'm surprised by how low the boundaries are. Maths exams often require over 90% to get an A*, so I don't see anything wrong with needing 85% in Physics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
I did an exam in january 2013: Edexcel GCSE English: The Writer's Craft (5EH2H) and cannot find it.

Quick Reply

Latest