The Student Room Group

Nearly passed out at the gym yesterday?

Yeah so I went the gym for the first time in like a year yesterday and nearly passed out!
I did about an hour of cardio stuff and then went on to the bench press type machine. Pushed myself a little bit not too the max on that.
I wanted to go for a 4th set but had to sit down because I started feeling sick. Then it got worse so I had to go stand by the toilets because I felt like I could throw up any second. Then my vision went and I could hardly see or hear anything. Made my way to the benches because I didn't want to pass out onto a toilet haha. My body felt red hot and was tingling and still couldn't see. This lasted for a couple of minutes while I was sat down.

Any idea why this happened? I had eaten before I went the gym and had drink plenty of water.
Reply 1
Original post by Camoxide
Yeah so I went the gym for the first time in like a year yesterday and nearly passed out!
I did about an hour of cardio stuff and then went on to the bench press type machine. Pushed myself a little bit not too the max on that.
I wanted to go for a 4th set but had to sit down because I started feeling sick. Then it got worse so I had to go stand by the toilets because I felt like I could throw up any second. Then my vision went and I could hardly see or hear anything. Made my way to the benches because I didn't want to pass out onto a toilet haha. My body felt red hot and was tingling and still couldn't see. This lasted for a couple of minutes while I was sat down.

Any idea why this happened? I had eaten before I went the gym and had drink plenty of water.

To do over an hour of hard exercise when you haven't done so in a year is the reason. You have to ease yourself into it, rather than jumping into the deep end

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2

Would suggest Cardio AFTER the free weights etc as it does tend to burn you out and make you feel a bit dizzy I guess. Other than that you're doing it right, it's an effective work out and your body just wasn't use to it - It will catch up and you shouldn't feel like this any time sooner.
Reply 3
Did you eat before?

If your sugar levels crash you can die!
Reply 4
Original post by McHumpy92
Did you eat before?

If your sugar levels crash you can die!

Yeah I had a roast dinner a couple of hours before ><
I also had a coffee with two sugars in about half an hour before going in so I assume my sugar levels should have been fine.
Your cardio vascular health is poor, that's why it happened. Nothing to be ashamed about. Just ease yourself in to it (work hard but dont kill yourself) . Don't go all guns blazing then lose your enthusiasm within a month.

Were you breathing properly on the bench press? people don't breath through an entire set which is pretty mad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
You are doing nothing wrong mate. As a wise man once said: if you want to be successful as much as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful. Keep with the intensity and you'll be just fine!
Reply 7
Cheers for the responses guys.
Is there anyway of getting fitter while putting on weight? I seem to struggle to put on weight. I don't exactly want to lose weight as i'm only 9 stone at the moment (i'm 5 foot 8).
I eat like any normal person :confused:
Is there anyway of getting fitter while putting on weight? I seem to struggle to put on weight. I don't exactly want to lose weight as i'm only 9 stone at the moment (i'm 5 foot 8).

Eat lots. You won't gain any weight eating like a normal person.
Reply 9
I agree with the previous poster in eating more, I use to gym for years with no real muscle gains because I was working too hard on not enough food/protein and also I was doin cardio so much tryna eliviate any fat from what I thougth was a "bulking" diet that it was wearing my muscles down for fuel.

Apparently this can also happen if you do really intense cardio but still eat good, somthing to think about!

But im more informed now and finaly making steady progress :smile: find what time of the day you work best and stick to it imo, and sort your meals around it

For me its before dinner, mainly because I have most energy and alertness then, also because dinner is my biggest protein high meal, so I like to have a good work out before that and can be sure ive got in some good protein directly after excersise.

I also drink more water during the days im working out but as a tip for anyone else who thinks drinking water is a chor, I take an old protein flask to work with me, and use the measuring gauge to fill it up with water, even if you did it to 500ml in the morning and 500 in the afternoon, thats aleady 1litre down before you even go home :smile:

I duno seems to work well for me, just a tip

Litre of milk a day will help you go a long way in my personal opinion. And I would suggest limiting to your cardio to around 20/30 high intensity 2/3 times a week. Also sort out a programme based around compound exercises such as the squat, deadlift and bench press- these are the most useful if you want to make gains and are having a hard time of it.
Yeah I had a roast dinner a couple of hours before ><
I also had a coffee with two sugars in about half an hour before going in so I assume my sugar levels should have been fine.

Don't think drinking coffee half an hour before exercise is good for you- it rises you blood pressure. Drinking coffee just before pushing yourself to the max was probably the reason you felt sick and nearly passed out
Reply 12
Although I'm not much of a gym-goer, the symptoms you have described is what I feel after exercises when I have a low blood sugar (I'm a type 1 diabetic, see). The thing you needed in that situation was a bottle of lucozade and a sandwich.

Swap jogging for high intensity training ( as steady state e.g. Jogging tends to break down muscle if done a lot) and keep on lifting weights to build muscle as muscle weighs more than fat and you'll start steadily gaining healthy weight :smile:
Reply 14

Sounds to me like "Blood pooling" or "Venous pooling" which has lead to Orthostatic Hypotension, commonly known as Postural Hypotension.

Did you cooldown correctly? If not this is more then likely the cause.

Have a look, at Pubmed - Orthostatic Hypotension and Blood Pooling.
Reply 15
By the sounds of it you may want to have a go at 30 minutes for a couple of weeks and make sure you have the required fuel.

first time in a year, hmmm.
just ease in man, the workout you described will most likely do that to you.
good on ya for getting back into it though:biggrin:
I'm pretty sure it's to do with lack of energy due to not eating enough. Even though you had a roast dinner prior to working out, it wasn't enough to provide for your body's energy needs.

I've had similar symptoms as you after intense workouts and came home feeling dizzy, having poor vision, feeling light headed, nauseous, and almost coming close to passing out. After forcing myself to eat, I recovered very well and this seemed to work on a number of occasions. I think we often underestimate how much energy our bodies actually consume and think that eating a plateful is enough to service our bodies.

Once I made the mistake (which I will never do again :tongue:) of working out whilst I was fasting and was minutes away from passing out. I downed two bottles of high-carb post-workout energy drinks when it was time to break my fast and felt much better.

The best thing to do is eat well prior to workout and also immediately after working out if weight gain is your aim. Also, it's better to do cardio after free weights as cardio is less intense and less strenuous on your muscles and can be stopped more safely once you get tired. If you do it the other way, you'll find that you wont be able to do as much reps on the free weights than you may have wanted as your body will already be tired. :wink:
Reply 18
I went the gym again today and it didn't happen haha. Funnily enough my mate nearly blacked out though. He went a bit overboard on the running.
I took it easy on the cardio though this time only did a 1KM run to warm up. Then onto the weights would have liked to have done another run to finish up on but I had to catch a train.

Was a bit concerned about how high my heart beat was at one point: 190Bpm on the running machine :s.

Think I need to ease the cardio in a bit. I've been doing a bit of weights over the year but haven't done any running so might have been a shock to my body haha.

I think I'm going to have lunch twice a day now to try and put a bit of weight on.

Quick Reply

Latest