The Student Room Group

Royal Grammar School or Colchester County High School for Girls sixth form?

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

So I currently go to CCHS and have always planned to go to their sixth form. Nevertheless, I still applied to the Royal Grammar Sixth Form to see if I could get in or not. Much to my surprise I did, and now I'm stuck between the two sixth forms. Generally I know the Grammar School is better in league tables and so on, but CCHS is so familiar and almost like home to me because I've been going there for almost five years.

I was just wondering if the likelihood of achieving my ambitions to go to Oxbridge would be significantly increased if I went to the Royal Grammar Sixth Form or not? I would rather not go there for the reasons that it is unfamiliar to me, but I have to put that into perspective when it comes to my future.

I would love if actual students who went to CCHS but now go to the grammar school could answer this! :smile:
This is really really late, I know. You're probably in University now. But can I ask what GCSEs you got when you applied, and what other extra-cirricual activities that you had under your belt?I'm thinking of applying next year, and don't really know the grades needed (I've heard stories from friends that straight A*s are needed, but the website says AAAAB as the min). I really am unsure of the standard, as I'm somewhere between the two (but closer to the second :frown: )
Reply 2
Hi Lewis,

I currently go to the sixth form now and would be happy to assist you however much you need. After you do your mocks and get your predicted grades, apply to the school whatever you get (you won't lose anything but time). If you get offered a place, you need to get a minimum of 4 As and a B, unless they say you need a specific set of results (only in extreme cases). So obviously study for your mocks to push up your predicted grades as high as possible so you get an offer. I don't know what school you go to, where you live, or what country you're in, nor do I know your required travel or living arrangements, should you need them so I can't be too specific at this stage. If you reply with those details or contact me privately with them I can be absolutely specific with you and maybe even recommend you (closer to the application period). The way they place offers depends on your school, country and arrangements. They have a specific number of places assigned either to specific schools and inter-national students so if many from your school apply then you need to be among the best, or have an interesting set of extra-curricular activities recorded. I know a number of students attending even with only a handful of As. Not that many students apply from non-local schools so if you are one of those then you have a good chance at getting in. I don't want to go on too long so reply back either with more information or questions so I can help you more directly.

Good luck.

-KJ
Reply 3
A friend of mine got in with 3 A*, 4 As and 3Bs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending