The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mcleom03
I have to say, I'm finding some of what you guys say to be astonishing. There is a severe lack of passion in English football, from the very bottom right to the top. English football is quite simply a very successful business, it's incredibly well financed, well run and well supported by its vast and well populated nation. Give Rangers or Celtic the same opportunities, financially, then I could only imagine the impact they'd have on European football. I'd imagine for example that there fans would not except have a 'good run' in the champions league, in fact they'd expect them to win the champions league, year in year out. Two massively supported clubs with the budgets and competition of the EPL, my god it would be scary. You only have to go back to the 80's, when at least 7 of England's national starting 11 played for Rangers. Why did these players choose to play in Scotland?. Why did they choose to play for rangers?. And what was there opinion of playing for rangers?. Have a look for yourself, I think you'd be surprised. Now the gap is huge between north and south of the border, but only financially, the passion for football is still at home north of the border. I think personally we could learn a lot from them, problem is were so scared to stop this financial rollacoaster that were on.

I'd assume in the 80s the English players played for Rangers because of those murderous scousers back in the 80s causing all English clubs to not have europe.
Reply 41
Aberdeen.
Reply 42
I will always have a soft spot for Celtic.

Because when I was about 6 and I first saw them on tv I marvelled at their kit and their kit along with the names of Scottish teams (Heart of Midlothian and Queen of the South especially of course) which I saw when the football results were being read out were a big part in getting me hooked on football in the first place.

I don't really care about the antics of any teams supporters.People are people.

I think it's a massive pity that these clubs are having to play very small clubs week in week out but thank God Rangers will be back where they belong next season.

Meanwhile looking forward to the Cup semi final.....
Reply 43
It's great to see Rangers get promoted this week, because - whether they like it or not - there is no point in one Old Firm club without the other. Without that rivalry, the SPFL is utterly redundant.
Reply 44
Original post by Mackay
It's great to see Rangers get promoted this week, because - whether they like it or not - there is no point in one Old Firm club without the other. Without that rivalry, the SPFL is utterly redundant.

Well said.

Congratulations Rs
There is no Old Firm,they,Rangers,died on February 14,2012,liquidated after shafting taxpayers and companies over
They became a NEWCO club called SEVCO 5088.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34720850
Reply 46
One would then have to conclude the Linfield supporters (loyalists) in Northern Ireland are plastic Brits.
English Man U fan - don't really like or care about either team but if had to choose it would be Rangers just because they've had a good story of being successful going into admin and the 2nd division then working there way back into the top division, would like to see them challenge and win the scottish prem again
Lol @ Rangers getting knocked out of the first EL qualifier round by part-timers :rofl:
Reply 49
Scottish football is a joke
Reply 50
At least my club is still alive ya hun
Reply 51
Original post by Mackay

There is no such thing as "rangers" anymore. The Rangers Football Club were liquidated in June 2012. Another fact - attendances in the SPL over all increased in the seasons following the liquidation of Rangers. Oh and also their new club's a joke as well! :biggrin:
Reply 52
NTipper99 - even more amazing than that - they didn't only go into administration, Rangers FC were liquidated - like Woolworths, the club established in 1872 has ceased to be.

A brand new company (Sevco 5088) was set up in 2012 to purchase the now deceased Rangers FC's assets (primarily Ibrox plus traing ground). Sevco 5088 were then gazzumped by another new company - Sevco Scotland Limited also established in 2012 - and current ownership of the assets of the now defunct Rangers FC are being disputed in the courts by both of these new companies - a shameful and tawdry business you'll agree.

Under employment law, some former employees of Rangers FC TUPE'd over to the new owners of Ibrox. Others, like Gary Naismish, chose not to do so, and were therefore completely free to take up employment elsewhere - Everton in his case.

Sevco Scotland Limited (est 2012) then came up with the wizard wheeze of renaming itself as Rangers International Limited, and established a fully owned subsidiary that they registered as The Rangers FC - all to fool the willingly foolish, or anyone who wasn't paying attention, and for other more nefarious financial reasons.

It was The Rangers FC (est 2012) that was allowed to enter the Scottish league system for the very first time - and ahead of much longer-established clubs - in the 2012-13 season. And they have done well for a new club - climbing through the four leagues in only five years.

In the meantime, our old friends Rangers FC - est 1872 and sadly no more - had to suffer the final ignomony by itself being renamed as Rangers 2012 - the year of its death. This posthumous renaming was done again to fool the willingly foolish.

Just wanted you to know who you were actually choosing to support.

Toodle-pip.
Original post by The Tic
NTipper99 - even more amazing than that - they didn't only go into administration, Rangers FC were liquidated - like Woolworths, the club established in 1872 has ceased to be.

A brand new company (Sevco 5088) was set up in 2012 to purchase the now deceased Rangers FC's assets (primarily Ibrox plus traing ground). Sevco 5088 were then gazzumped by another new company - Sevco Scotland Limited also established in 2012 - and current ownership of the assets of the now defunct Rangers FC are being disputed in the courts by both of these new companies - a shameful and tawdry business you'll agree.

Under employment law, some former employees of Rangers FC TUPE'd over to the new owners of Ibrox. Others, like Gary Naismish, chose not to do so, and were therefore completely free to take up employment elsewhere - Everton in his case.

Sevco Scotland Limited (est 2012) then came up with the wizard wheeze of renaming itself as Rangers International Limited, and established a fully owned subsidiary that they registered as The Rangers FC - all to fool the willingly foolish, or anyone who wasn't paying attention, and for other more nefarious financial reasons.

It was The Rangers FC (est 2012) that was allowed to enter the Scottish league system for the very first time - and ahead of much longer-established clubs - in the 2012-13 season. And they have done well for a new club - climbing through the four leagues in only five years.

In the meantime, our old friends Rangers FC - est 1872 and sadly no more - had to suffer the final ignomony by itself being renamed as Rangers 2012 - the year of its death. This posthumous renaming was done again to fool the willingly foolish.

Just wanted you to know who you were actually choosing to support.

Toodle-pip.

No one gives a ****
No they're not. When those idiots sacked Manchester like the Vandal horde they were all singing God Save the Queen, not Flower Of Scotland; flying the Union Flag, not the Saltire. Did these morons not realise that God Save The Queen doesn't work as well as a provocation in the country where it is the locals' national anthem as it does at an Old Firm game?
Im a Man Utd fan and despise Celtic one reason bein that they sing YNWA with the scousers but they are just genuinely scum Rangers all the way for me.
rangers took the biggest support ever to a uefa cup final man utd would hve taken about a tenth of that to a champions league final if held in glasgow rangers got 40000 plus crowd in the 4th tier of scottish football who else in the world could do this the police in manchester lost control as they did not know anyone could take such vast numbers
Original post by Adam27591
Im a Man Utd fan and despise Celtic one reason bein that they sing YNWA with the scousers but they are just genuinely scum Rangers all the way for me.

Is that the same Rangers who have large sections of support who openly oppose people of Irish descent playing for them?
rangers have played with players from all over the world including the republic of ireland when any of these players pull on that blue jersey they then know they are playing for the famous glasgow rangers
Original post by John downes
No they're not. When those idiots sacked Manchester like the Vandal horde they were all singing God Save the Queen, not Flower Of Scotland; flying the Union Flag, not the Saltire. Did these morons not realise that God Save The Queen doesn't work as well as a provocation in the country where it is the locals' national anthem as it does at an Old Firm game?

they also sang we are the people with the other 200000 we took to manchester i was one of them no other team in britain have such a support no one in the world can match the passion of this famous team

Latest