The Student Room Group

why are some people in relationships unfaithful?

I'm asking the question because I just don't understand what makes people do it. If you've done it to someone, anything from flirting to full on getting it on!!! I wanna know why????

Scroll to see replies

sometimes they get bored with the same partner and want a change
Reply 2
Selfishness and a general dissatisfaction with what they have, probably. Along with a lack of respect for their partner.
I have no idea what makes someone do it. All I know is that its a totally sinking, terrible feeling when you're told that your girlfriend cheated on you - wish that never happens to me again!
Reply 4
Possibly their partner treats them badly?
Reply 5
:/ and what should you do if you suspect your other half is?
Reply 6
Because people are a*seholes.
People want a sure thing. Have your cake and eat it. They can sit in a relationship they are 70% happy with, have some exciting flings while looking for the one they are 100% happy with. Far less risk than having to jump into the unknown.
Reply 8
People's predisposition towards it is explained by game theory in evolutionary psychology. Essentially, it is in a man's best interest to cheat if he is reasonably in a position to get away with it, and likewise for a woman given the right circumstances (her body is 'ready' for a child). However, there is pressure for it only to be done in secret, because if a woman openly cheats on a man then the man has no reason to invest time and energy helping to raise another's child, and likewise if a man cheats on a woman, she has no reason to stay faithful to him. Sexual jealousy also evolved from these pressures.
Reply 9
Because people have no respect and don't understand the dynamics of a relationship?
Original post by ScarlettFever
:/ and what should you do if you suspect your other half is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he/she won't let you look at their phone...or they're very protective of it then be aware. This could be an early sign.
Original post by staceykimb
Posted from TSR Mobile

If he/she won't let you look at their phone...or they're very protective of it then be aware. This could be an early sign.

Thats a pretty broad statment, I know plenty of and am a person who generally doesnt like others on my phone, theres nothing wrong with that. just because your partner isnt letting you go on thier phone, the instant jump isnt and shouldnt be "oh they cheatin on meh" if thats what your mind goes to straight away then you obviously dont trust them anyway :L
Reply 12
I'm asking the question because I just don't understand what makes people do it. If you've done it to someone, anything from flirting to full on getting it on!!! I wanna know why????

pay back
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a feeling people could swing either way with their views on this.

One of my ex girlfriends was really open whereas another one really respected her privacy. I didn't mind either, I'd defo respect a girl's privacy but it was quite cool with the open gf - phones for example, she and I used to swap and use each others regularly (i.e. when the battery was down, insufficient credit, phone going haywire or when either of us left it at home). There was never any tension - it was never to keep tab, but it felt nice knowing that there was nothing to hide from both ends.
Reply 14
He's done this before and I found out. when i confronted him he denied it, until i gave him the proof and he said he was sorry and he'd do anything to make it up to me. at the time we weren't living together but i didnt do anything to give him motive to stray. is it true what they say, once a cheat always a cheat?
Reply 15
Original post by miser
People's predisposition towards it is explained by game theory in evolutionary psychology. Essentially, it is in a man's best interest to cheat if he is reasonably in a position to get away with it, and likewise for a woman given the right circumstances (her body is 'ready' for a child). However, there is pressure for it only to be done in secret, because if a woman openly cheats on a man then the man has no reason to invest time and energy helping to raise another's child, and likewise if a man cheats on a woman, she has no reason to stay faithful to him. Sexual jealousy also evolved from these pressures.

I like it!
Reply 16
For most guys including me, who are often surrounded by beautiful girls and therefore have many opportunities, these can be really tempting. I love my girlfriend and I would never want to cheat on her but must admit that sometimes it has been hard to resist, especially if other hot girls actively seduce you.
Reply 17
Original post by Giveme45
For most guys including me, who are often surrounded by beautiful girls and therefore have many opportunities, these can be really tempting. I love my girlfriend and I would never want to cheat on her but must admit that sometimes it has been hard to resist, especially if other hot girls actively seduce you.

its not the girls being active tho, its him!!
Reply 18
its not the girls being active tho, its him!!

Well are they surely not flirty to him as well?
Reply 19
Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

It's not healthy to want to check all the time, but if they say no then that's just an admission there's something on there they don't want you to see. In my personal experience anyway.

As for why people cheat? Generally there's a problem in the relationship, whether it's physical or mental. It's different for different types of cheating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending