The Student Room Group

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Staceyc1990
Wetherspoons piss me off cos of their stupid licence, me and my friend got ID'd once for a toastie and a juice. Just because you have to be accompanied by a adult if your under a certain age. Its kinda ridiculous for that kind of thing but just the rules i suppose and if I dont like it i could stop going but i dont

it isn't the company's fault. their specific pub licence will not allow people under 18 past a certain time (usually 8/9pm). if you can't prove you're 18+ past that time then you have to leave!
What does annoy me is I happened to be food shopping with my younger brother, at the time I was 20 he was 17. He was just generally accompanying me to have a chat about things when I added a single bottle of alcohol to my weekly shop.

I was asked for ID at the checkout, absolutely no problem and I provided it. They then asked to see my brothers ID and I explained he didn't have any, they got more 'pissy' - I tried explaining he wasn't 18 but all the shopping was for me. They refused to process the alcohol because they believed I was buying it on his behalf. No idea what gave them that impression in the slightest. I left the rest of my shopping at the checkout and refused to pay, walked out and went to another store.
Yeah, we've all been there and it's frustrating, but at the end of the day, people have no right take it out on those doing their job, just because they're too lazy to have/carry ID.
Your fault. Don't complain, she was legal as she said and you got it wrong. Should have asked someone who is obviously more capable than you before causing this woman to get annoyed and calling her a liar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
She sounds like an idiot.
I still get IDd now at almost 25 (even for things you have to be 16 to buy/do sometimes) and yeah I get a bit frustrated and embarrassed, but I'd never get angry. I used to work in a shop so know that it's just for precaution!
Original post by slappyhours
it isn't the company's fault. their specific pub licence will not allow people under 18 past a certain time (usually 8/9pm). if you can't prove you're 18+ past that time then you have to leave!

We got asked for ID at 1pm on a Sunday when with my parents. We were only allowed in because my parents promised we wouldn't drink alcohol (even though you are allowed with a meal from a younger age aren't you?)
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't mind. It's part of their job and they say anyone who looks up to 25 will get ID'd.
The only time I got pissed is when I showed my italian ID - didn't have a passport back then - and the cashier throw a massive scene saying it was a fake ID cause she couldn't read italian (honestly "15/12/1990" sounds pretty international to me). Apart from this one episode anyway I'm usually more than happy to be ID'd :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
I work at a bookmakers, so I'm one of the people who has to ID young-looking people.

This guy who looks about 18 came in recently and I asked him for ID (we challenge 21), his mate was fine and he said he had none on him. He then asked me how old I was and without really thinking I gave him my age (21) and he started to get annoyed and was saying "well I'm older than you blahblahblah".

People seem to think if they're over the age we challenge they shouldn't be getting ID'd. I'm sorry but if you look like you could still be at school or college you're getting ID'd, carry it on you for christ sake.
If she forgot her ID then that is her problem not yours. You just did your job and it seems like she wasn't old enough, you do reserve the right to ask customers for ID, and people don't like getting their own way. Forger about her and you did nothing wrong...
I'm 23 and I very rarely get ID'd anymore.

The only time it used to bug me is when I'd go in the local shop wherever I was living at the time and I'd get asked for ID regularly by the same staff that had ID'd me several times before and recognised me! I'd chat to them when I was in there but they still wanted to see my ID. I just had a laugh about it though and told them that I'm unlikely to get any younger in between each visit.
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that

She seems like a right ********, I never understood people acting like that anyway
1) you're just doing your job and you're a risk of loosing your licence if you get caught serving an minor
2) how is throwing a tantrum and acting like a spoilt 12 year old going to prove to anyone that you're of age

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending