The Student Room Group

Investment banking intern background checks!

can someone please explain what the process is , what they look for, what things would result in termination of contract. DO they even contact you ? Does anyone know if barcap and jp morgan run background checks on interns?
Reply 1
DB used a firm called first advantage who sent me a few emails asking for me to fill out a form but it wasnt very detailed. They definitely didnt contact some of my ex employers so I think it was mainly a Uni check for graded etc.
Reply 2
cheers for the reply, how long after u accepted the offer did they contact u ?
Reply 3
They should be running background checks on everyone they employ, I'd be a bit worried if they weren't.

If you haven't lied about your qualifications, inflated your salary etc then you have nothing to worry about. They are just checking you haven't lied to them and have no criminal record that they should be worried about.

As an intern your employment history should be basic - College, Uni, Part-time job - Internship. You'll have the same checks when you're older and the process gets a bit more complicated. Make sure you keep any original certificates, payslips et al.
Reply 4
thats fine then, I'm worrying for no reason then .
The only thing I can think is that I worked for a small takeaway place when i was 15-16 which I did list. Will they ask for a refrence from those guys, I think the place has changed hands a few times and even then it one that avoided paper work as such. One of those realy crappy east London places.

I also listed year 10 work experience, will they check that?
Reply 5
Original post by raylewis
thats fine then, I'm worrying for no reason then .
The only thing I can think is that I worked for a small takeaway place when i was 15-16 which I did list. Will they ask for a refrence from those guys, I think the place has changed hands a few times and even then it one that avoided paper work as such. One of those realy crappy east London places.

I also listed year 10 work experience, will they check that?

Work experience - probably not

Takeaway place - yes. Give them the contact details you have, if that doesn't work then you have to provide payslips/other proof (can someone verify you worked there?). If you have no proof then it's a bit awkward, but considering it's just a crappy, irrelevant, **** job when you're a kid they'll probably ignore it - Depends on how strict the company is. I don't think it'll be an issue.
Reply 6
Original post by Izzyeviel
Work experience - probably not

Takeaway place - yes. Give them the contact details you have, if that doesn't work then you have to provide payslips/other proof (can someone verify you worked there?). If you have no proof then it's a bit awkward, but considering it's just a crappy, irrelevant, **** job when you're a kid they'll probably ignore it - Depends on how strict the company is. I don't think it'll be an issue.

thanks mate, Yh they paid in cash, guess I'l have to contact the employer and ask him.
Reply 7
thanks mate, Yh they paid in cash, guess I'l have to contact the employer and ask him.

I would be amazed if they bothered to be honest. A background check is more art than science in that they'll pick and choose what to investigate. I had some work experience as a research assistant that was unpaid, no way were they ever ever going to check that because a)its a lot of hassle and b)its not worth lying about anyway. But if you had for example a couple of weeks at another bank, that would be very easy to check.

Mainly university related for interns and of course a Criminal checks.
Original post by Zürich
DB used a firm called first advantage who sent me a few emails asking for me to fill out a form but it wasnt very detailed. They definitely didnt contact some of my ex employers so I think it was mainly a Uni check for graded etc.

What division? I am gonna be in tech.
Reply 9
Original post by diracdeltafunc
What division? I am gonna be in tech.

s&t.

All divisions will have the same check anyway as its all outsourced. If you said you worked during your gap year at a well known firm they'll probably ask for pay slips etc. But if you just have a few weeks here and there unpayed like most people they probably wont even check.

Mainly about uni stuff and grades which is very easy to check.
Original post by Zürich
s&t.

All divisions will have the same check anyway as its all outsourced. If you said you worked during your gap year at a well known firm they'll probably ask for pay slips etc. But if you just have a few weeks here and there unpayed like most people they probably wont even check.

Mainly about uni stuff and grades which is very easy to check.

I see. I filled mine in ages ago. They didnt ask for any payslips or anything. Did i miss something here?
Original post by diracdeltafunc
I see. I filled mine in ages ago. They didnt ask for any payslips or anything. Did i miss something here?

never asked me either but the point is they could ask for these things if it seems relevant. I never provided contact details for my 'employers' either and I assume they just werent interested in my very limited work experience.

you wont hear from them again I'd bet
Original post by Zürich
never asked me either but the point is they could ask for these things if it seems relevant. I never provided contact details for my 'employers' either and I assume they just werent interested in my very limited work experience.

you wont hear from them again I'd bet

I see. You got me worried there haha!

I am surprised you say that with such confidence. The weirdest thing is that once i submitted my stuff on their website, I couldnt event log back in to it?!
Reply 13
Guys quick question, First advantage have contacted me asking for my certificates and previous employeer contact details etc. Looking through my certificates for gcse it seems ive made a huge **** up. I put down that I had a gcse grade B for PE when in fact it wasnt a gcse qualification we were doing in it. It was some messed up equivulent to a half of a gcse crap. Will this be an issue becuase it looks like Ive lied stating I have a gcse when I dont have it. Is there some big database where they check or will they just look at certificates I send them. If that is the case then I can send them the others and say I havent got my gcse pe one ....?
Im such a bloody idiot I should have checked this all properly. Could really use some advice, the last thing I want is to be kicked out of this internship before it starts , it means the world to me :frown:
anyone heard back about the background check yet?
sent mine off about 3 weeks ago, how long does it usually take?
thanks for your help guys
Guys quick question, First advantage have contacted me asking for my certificates and previous employeer contact details etc. Looking through my certificates for gcse it seems ive made a huge **** up. I put down that I had a gcse grade B for PE when in fact it wasnt a gcse qualification we were doing in it. It was some messed up equivulent to a half of a gcse crap. Will this be an issue becuase it looks like Ive lied stating I have a gcse when I dont have it. Is there some big database where they check or will they just look at certificates I send them. If that is the case then I can send them the others and say I havent got my gcse pe one ....?
Im such a bloody idiot I should have checked this all properly. Could really use some advice, the last thing I want is to be kicked out of this internship before it starts , it means the world to me :frown:

You need to give FA what you've got and explain to them and your recruiter what's happened. Be apologetic and honest. Don't presume just because it's PE it won't matter. You should be fine, but employers can be fussy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey, anyone heard back from their background checks yet? completed mine a month ago and still haven't heard anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending