The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

The Velocampus (Bike Hire) Scheme

Hey guys,

For any past or current students. Have you used this scheme to hire bikes from the Uni?

What are the bikes like? Do they usually come in a decent condition?

I was thinking of buying a new bike to bring with me but since I'm only there for a year it makes sense to just hire one for £50. Do people usually get their deposits back okay?
Reply 1
Ibidi-bodibi-bump.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Hi there, I don't know much about this but I'd like to find out, could you give me some information on it?
Reply 3
I never hired one as a student but I bought one of the ex hire ones when they sold them off, it's a giant expression and as an all round bike they're pretty good. It seems to have been maintained fairly well and the guys in the bike hub are always helpful when i've popped in.
Paying to hire a bike always seemed like a false economy to me but for what you pay they're decent bikes, when I looked them up it was a £350 bike if you went out to buy one...
Reply 4
I hired a bike last year for £50 and it was great. Get there as early as you can in the term because you'll have the biggest choice of bikes and they usually run out. My bike was great - brand new, value £350.

The best thing about it is that the Bike Hub is open throughout the term. The team there is really friendly and you can take your bike down there if you need to do any repairs, cleaning etc. They also offer proficiency courses if you've not been on the road for a while. Only downside is that the opening times are a bit inconvenient: Tue-Thu 12-4 (unless they've changed), but you get a hell of a lot for your £50.
Reply 5
Cheers guys. Your advice has been really useful. I'll think I'll definitely hire a bike for the year.

Quick Reply

Latest