The Student Room Group

Interesting article on cheapest cars to insure for teenagers

This just popped up on my screen.
Might be worth those of you thinking about getting your first car to have a look?

http://cars.uk.msn.com/insurance/cheapest-cars-to-insure-for-17-18-year-olds#image=1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure about this. I only paid £760 for my first year of insurance last year.

The cheapest car I found on insurance was actually the Vauxhall Corsa B 1 litre. Yet it's not even on the list?

There's also other things to consider like you may be able to get a citroen slightly cheaper on insurance than say a Yaris but you're going to lose any savings when it goes wrong. Also fuel economy should be taken into consideration.
Original post by Camoxide
Not sure about this. I only paid £760 for my first year of insurance last year.

The cheapest car I found on insurance was actually the Vauxhall Corsa B 1 litre. Yet it's not even on the list?

There's also other things to consider like you may be able to get a citroen slightly cheaper on insurance than say a Yaris but you're going to lose any savings when it goes wrong. Also fuel economy should be taken into consideration.

This. It's cheaper for me to insure a Vauxhall Astra (Diesel), and the fuel economy is almost par on par, but mine is *just* cheaper to run if driving through London, because of no congestion charges, it devalues a lot better, it's bigger, and it's more reliable

You have to consider tax as well. For instance, whilst a Vauxhall astra diesel costs around £100 or so less to insure, it's also costlier to tax (I pay £30 instead of £120/£140) Cars like the Peugeot 107 for instance cost £30 or less to tax (and are VERY fuel efficient, if a bit small and low powered)

I think it also depends from area to area. Weirdly, what's cheap to insure in one area might be more expensive than other cars in another area. Im taking two examples out of thin air

Say in one area a Vauxhall astra is cheaper to insure than a vauxhall corsa. In another area, it might be the other way around.

For me, the second cheapest vehicle I could find to insure was a Toyota Yaris. The absolute cheapest car to insure are the Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1

What I like about the 107/C1 is that they are both made by Toyota in the Czech Republic, so everything below the bonnet is Toyota

I've also learnt to take insurance group numbers with a pinch of salt. For instance, the Toyota Yaris and Fiat Punto are both in group 5 for insurance. My Honda Civic (hybrid) is in group 15(?) and the civic, is cheaper to insure than the punto, despite my Civic being more powerful, larger (and also more fuel efficient :smile: )

How many boy racers do you see in hybrids and how many do you see in puntos? So I think part of the car's insurance premium is to do with the "image" of the car

That being said, my Honda civic hybrid is more expensive to insure than the Toyota Yaris

EDIT: The Ford Ka also looks a bit girly for my liking
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by de_monies
This. It's cheaper for me to insure a Vauxhall Astra (Diesel), and the fuel economy is almost par on par, but mine is *just* cheaper to run if driving through London, because of no congestion charges, it devalues a lot better, it's bigger, and it's more reliable

You have to consider tax as well. For instance, whilst a Vauxhall astra diesel costs around £100 or so less to insure, it's also costlier to tax (I pay £30 instead of £120/£140) Cars like the Peugeot 107 for instance cost £30 or less to tax (and are VERY fuel efficient, if a bit small and low powered)

I think it also depends from area to area. Weirdly, what's cheap to insure in one area might be more expensive than other cars in another area. Im taking two examples out of thin air

Say in one area a Vauxhall astra is cheaper to insure than a vauxhall corsa. In another area, it might be the other way around.

For me, the second cheapest vehicle I could find to insure was a Toyota Yaris. The absolute cheapest car to insure are the Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1

What I like about the 107/C1 is that they are both made by Toyota in the Czech Republic, so everything below the bonnet is Toyota

I've also learnt to take insurance group numbers with a pinch of salt. For instance, the Toyota Yaris and Fiat Punto are both in group 5 for insurance. My Honda Civic (hybrid) is in group 15(?) and the civic, is cheaper to insure than the punto, despite my Civic being more powerful, larger (and also more fuel efficient :smile: )

How many boy racers do you see in hybrids and how many do you see in puntos? So I think part of the car's insurance premium is to do with the "image" of the car

That being said, my Honda civic hybrid is more expensive to insure than the Toyota Yaris

I think the image plays a big part in the insurance as well.

My MG ZR is, what %95 a Rover 25 yet was over £100 more on the insurance despite being almost the same car.
Reply 4
I must admit my experience has always proved that something physically bigger with a reasonable sized engine is cheaper than the equivelent small car. Not withstanding the fact that mid sized saloons depreciate quicker than their smaller siblings so you end up getting a lot more car for the same money if you go for the slightly bigger car.

Still, it might prove a useful article and provoke some useful discussion for those folk that want a little car as their first vehicle.
Ironically I was looking at VW Lupo's yesterday. Not bad cars, but I want one with 5 doors.

The Ka is a ridiculously, bad looking car.
Reply 7

Problem with Ka's (old shape) is that they offer next to no crash protection really.

I tell you what though, I was shocked at how much difference having a years' no claims makes - just for the ****s and giggles I had a look at how much an '11 plate Audi A1 would cost to insure and Confused reckons it's only £600 fully comp! If only I had £10k sitting around to buy one :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by James A
The Ka is a ridiculously, bad looking car.

VERY simple engineering though and cheap as chips to repair and maintain?
Original post by wibletg
Problem with Ka's (old shape) is that they offer next to no crash protection really.

I tell you what though, I was shocked at how much difference having a years' no claims makes - just for the ****s and giggles I had a look at how much an '11 plate Audi A1 would cost to insure and Confused reckons it's only £600 fully comp! If only I had £10k sitting around to buy one :redface:

Yeah one year NCB is more than being 21 or 25, or having experience. It's pretty ridiculous tbf
Reply 10
hmm, What would the insurance be for a Honda Civic hatchback from the 90s?
Reply 11
Yeah one year NCB is more than being 21 or 25, or having experience. It's pretty ridiculous tbf

This :tongue:

Though I suppose having a year no claims counts as SOME experience (despite only really using the car during the Summer for work).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by xAres
hmm, What would the insurance be for a Honda Civic hatchback from the 90s?

My 1998 Civic cost me just over £1600 to insure. I'm 22 and live in outer London, first car so no NCB. I'm always told that Hondas are expensive to insure but when I was comparing insurance on potential cars I had more expensive quotes on Fiestas, Polos and Micras of around the same age.
Reply 13
Original post by moregano
My 1998 Civic cost me just over £1600 to insure. I'm 22 and live in outer London, first car so no NCB. I'm always told that Hondas are expensive to insure but when I was comparing insurance on potential cars I had more expensive quotes on Fiestas, Polos and Micras of around the same age.

Ahh, not bad. I want that as my first car because of my love for 90s Japanese cars and i like the look of the Civic.
Reply 14
I like how they get your hopes up prior to reading the text with a picture of the C2 VTR and Lupo GTI :rolleyes:
Original post by James A
Ironically I was looking at VW Lupo's yesterday. Not bad cars, but I want one with 5 doors.

If you are looking at Lupo's be sure to check the pedal box they have a tendency to break.
Insurance is just a joke nowadays. Sometime much more powerful and older cars are far cheaper to insure.

I was insured on a '89 BMW 325i Sport when I was 19 for £750.... almost 200 BHP, and people are trying to insure 60 BHP KAs for £2K !
Original post by AgentSushi
If you are looking at Lupo's be sure to check the pedal box they have a tendency to break.

Yeah this, depending on the model there's a few common faults although my lupo has never missed a beat. Dirt cheap to run and insure
Original post by JC.
VERY simple engineering though and cheap as chips to repair and maintain?

Yeah, ka's are cheap to buy and maintain as there are so many about and spares are easy to get, but they suffer terribly from rust. And they dont just rust, they go rotten. And the places they rust most (round the filler cap for example), you cant really do much about, as apparently (so im told) they rust from the inside out. The guy who runs the garage where i brought my last car said that he wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.

Insurance wise- location has a lot to do with it. In some areas, its really cheap to insure your car, and in other areas, its ridiculously expensive to insure your car. It all depends where you live.
Reply 19
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah, ka's are cheap to buy and maintain as there are so many about and spares are easy to get, but they suffer terribly from rust. And they dont just rust, they go rotten. And the places they rust most (round the filler cap for example), you cant really do much about, as apparently (so im told) they rust from the inside out. The guy who runs the garage where i brought my last car said that he wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.

Insurance wise- location has a lot to do with it. In some areas, its really cheap to insure your car, and in other areas, its ridiculously expensive to insure your car. It all depends where you live.

Petrol cap and sills are the favorite rot areas.
Yes, you are right they are particularly prone to becoming "rotten" rather than "rusty".
I predict that in 40 years time they will be quite expensive. Find a P or an R plate that isn't rotten. There are cars out there hiding in old peoples garages.
A bit like looking for a Volvo V70 or an older Porsche 911 with low miles - you've got to be REALLY patient!

I've driven a couple of KA's and they aren't that bad. Very basic but if you just want something cheap and cheerful to get about in they aren't too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending