The Student Room Group

Newwbie here! Help with English Language A2 AQA A!!!

Hey guys, I'm on new on here! So hi xD
I really like to know how's everyone revising for the English Language AQA A A2 exam.
I have a **** teacher & I'm seriously panicking!!! Anyone pls help!!!

All help appreciated :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Disha :P
Reply 2
Original post by Beauella
Hey guys, I'm on new on here! So hi xD
I really like to know how's everyone revising for the English Language AQA A A2 exam.
I have a **** teacher & I'm seriously panicking!!! Anyone pls help!!!

All help appreciated :biggrin:

Hi, what text is your exam on?
Reply 3
Original post by malisa
Hi, what text is your exam on?

Sorry, no entirely sure what u mean there...there are 2 parts to the exam: Language Change & variation (you have to pick one question of the the 2) and Language Discourses (compulsory).
Reply 4
Original post by Orenjichan
Hi Disha :P

LOL Kasia Hi xD :biggrin:
Reply 5
Sorry, no entirely sure what u mean there...there are 2 parts to the exam: Language Change & variation (you have to pick one question of the the 2) and Language Discourses (compulsory).

Im so sorry. I've only just realised I misread. I'm doing Language and Literature: Comparative Analysis and Text Adaptation.

Good luck though
Reply 6
Lol ok cool :smile: good luck to you too!
Reply 7
Hey,

I'm doing the as of rhis paper so cant offer any direct help. However you mentioned for one section you have a choice of two questions... I always select one of the two ahead of time and just revise for that one . That way you dont have to revise for so much and can focus better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thnx :smile: I know what you mean but the thing is that you have to know both sides to answer the compulsory :s-smilie:
Reply 9
does anyone have any language and ethnicity notes they'd like to share with me please?

I am seriously regretting doing A Level English Lang right now. I have always been good at English and still am, which is obviously good and gives me an advantage, but it genuinely bores me to tears. Also what doesn't help is that our teachers are crap. In my other 2 a level subjects i have really good teachers who show you the exam spec way before and teach you how to get really great marks. we had a bit of upheaval before christmas anyway as one of our teachers who was teaching us Language Variation left, have now found out that the only topic out of everything that could come up (ethnicity, world english, power etc) he was only going to teach us Gender. Makes me so angry because i need 3 As to get into uni and now feel like i've been put at a disadvantage.

Also, we barely get given any notes and i was told to buy the Revision Express textbook which doesn't even give you the names of the theories and theorists, and waters them down. omg, so annoyed. the only thing out of the entire exam that i feel vaguely comfortable with is gender :frown:

sorry about that, bit of a rant! back to the previous point, any notes anyone would be so kind to share with me? would be so appreciated. thank you!
Reply 10
OMG u just described my situationnnnnn!!!!! Tbh I haven't got any language & ethnicity notes, but I had done an essay for language variation & ethnicity came up. I used Milroy's open & closed network theory, which is pretty good in explaining ethnicity's influence on language.

Milroy's Closed + Open Network theory (this is my understanding/version of the theory, with added points): The theory suggests that a person whose personal contacts all know each other belong to a closed network. An individual whose contacts tend to not know each other, belong to an open network. So a person coming from a closed network, ethnicity being the central point, will have the capacity to enforce linguistic norms - depending on how closely-knit the group is. However, the individual may also belong to an open network, in which the individual is linked in several ways, i.e. jobs, leisure, etc. This is said to be a multiplex network, but of low network strength.

If ethnicity is central to a closed network group + if the network strength is high, pidgins + creoles might evolve. Consequently, will affect their use of English. If the creoles are spoken by the second generation of the closed network group, it will become a dialect, affecting the individual's sociology + idiolect.

I hope that was helpful, coz it it took me time to type this out.
Reply 11
^ nice, nice linking it to ethnicity. Might be worth mentioning the higher use of non standard English and vernacular forms when network strength is high. Other than that, sue foxs theory on MEYD briefly touches on ethnicity and there's stuff on black British English in the blue nelson thornes book I think. And pigins and Creoles obviously :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Orenjichan
^ nice, nice linking it to ethnicity. Might be worth mentioning the higher use of non standard English and vernacular forms when network strength is high. Other than that, sue foxs theory on MEYD briefly touches on ethnicity and there's stuff on black British English in the blue nelson thornes book I think. And pigins and Creoles obviously :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a lot of stuff for ENGA3 on the SFX Language blog. if you search the label cloud on the right, you'll find various topics like ethnicity, class and occupational variation, along with change topics.

I've out a lot of ENGA1 revision stuff on it over the last week, but plan is to do more ENGA3 material next week.
Anyone know what came up in the Jan 2013 paper?
Cant find it anywhere :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by lucybrown92

Hey! My teacher actually gave me this paper earlier today... I haven't looked at it properly yet though...
Reply 15

It was...

Section A
Language change texts - rugby match article from C19th and 2011 website
Language variation: email from Japanese woman to friend + article on World Englishes
Section B
Language discourses about American English
Original post by merkatron
It was...

Section A
Language change texts - rugby match article from C19th and 2011 website
Language variation: email from Japanese woman to friend + article on World Englishes
Section B
Language discourses about American English

Great! Thanks alot! :biggrin:

I guess having looked at the 'trend' (as it be) for ENGA3 papers for the last few years , a question 3 on Variation seems likely - and that's the hardest bit! :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Great! Thanks alot! :biggrin:

I guess having looked at the 'trend' (as it be) for ENGA3 papers for the last few years , a question 3 on Variation seems likely - and that's the hardest bit! :rolleyes:

You think so? Honestly variation is quite hard, but with discourses both change & variation link. But I see what you mean.....

How are you preparing for the exam? I'm having hard time remembering details of change, not to mention variation as well!
Reply 18
You think so? Honestly variation is quite hard, but with discourses both change & variation link. But I see what you mean.....

How are you preparing for the exam? I'm having hard time remembering details of change, not to mention variation as well!

OH dear, dont get me started on my revision - think i left it abit late. 10 days left and all I know is how new words are formed, nothing more!
Variation is tricky! So much theory to learn and yet the question may be worded in such a way that we might not need all of what I revised for variation.
Need serious help me, lol!
Im struggling! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending