The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leodis vs. James Baillie Park

Scroll to see replies

I did chemistry, maths and geography. I'm doing a human geography degree now, so the development stuff is pretty interesting to me. What are you wanting to study next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Original post by frangoddard
I did chemistry, maths and geography. I'm doing a human geography degree now, so the development stuff is pretty interesting to me. What are you wanting to study next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've firmed to do maths haha, get a few strange looks when I tell people. :P
Original post by RyanAGTerry
I've firmed to do maths haha, get a few strange looks when I tell people. :P

maths is a great degree, everything needs a mathematician :P
i got weird looks when i said i was going to do chemistry, no idea why, someone actually told me it was unemployable haha
Reply 23
Original post by frangoddard
maths is a great degree, everything needs a mathematician :P
i got weird looks when i said i was going to do chemistry, no idea why, someone actually told me it was unemployable haha

I have two friends going to do chem at Leeds and one at Hull. :smile: And I love maths haha
Reply 24
Original post by RyanAGTerry
Recently been to look at accommodation, and loved James Baillie, but now my friends who visited Leodis, which I didn't get chance to visit, are saying that it was really nice there, and from looking at pictures and things I agree with them. However, I know that the pictures on the accommodation website have to be taken with a pinch of salt because of the angles they use, and they also only show one half of the room, and there are no pictures of the kitchens. And thinking back now I can't really remember what James Baillie was like and I realise now that there's really a lot of things that I should have asked on the visiting day. However, if there is anyone who has stayed at either of these two places and has any pictures of them, including kitchen I would be grateful. Also, I have a few questions I'd like to ask, if you wouldn't mind answering:

1) Bedroom storage. Is there enough space to store everything, such as clothes, books, stationary, games, DVD's, etc.. How big are the wardrobes, how many drawers are there and is there under bed storage? If there is, is it closed off, or open? Like does it have a door that you slide open and its actually inside the bed, or do you lift up the mattress? Or is it just literally underneath the bed and not actually inside it?
2) Kitchen storage. How many cupboards are there? How many fridges and how many freezers? How many people share the kitchen? I'm intending to save money, time and effort by cooking meals and freezing some portions of it, so freezer space will be quite important to me.
3) What kitchen appliances are included? ie. microwave, toaster..
4) How big is the shower? My shower at the moment is pretty small, so that's not too much of an issue.
5) Location. I know they're both pretty much the same distance (about 10-15 mins walk) away from campus. How close is the nearest supermarket? How far away are the closest pubs and nightclubs? Also how about things like hairdressers and book/video game shops? Know I won't be able to afford things like that but it's nice to look. :tongue:
6) Communal areas. How busy do the laundry rooms and the common room become? Is it worth ever visiting the common room or is it just too packed for it to be worth it? I mean I know it's a good place to meet people in the first few weeks, but after that?
7) Is there enough room to have laptop, TV and games console, as well as using it for work, or would I have to setup my Xbox each time I wanted to use it?:s-smilie:
8) Finally, how hard is it to get into them? I've heard that JBP is normally oversubscribed, but I've heard nothing about Leodis. I know Leodis has more rooms so would it be better to apply there and gear my important factors towards JBP?:confused::rolleyes:

Thanks, it would be so helpful if people who have lived in each of the halls could give me some information and/or pictures to help me make my decision it would be much appreciated! Thanks. :smile::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest