The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Questions

Hello, I'm a current (third year) Stirling student and as I'm procrastinating from revision, feel free to ask here if you've got any question about Stirling that I might be able to answer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, thanks for starting this thread :smile: My question is a simple one, what were the mattresses like in your accommodation? Seems like an odd one I know, its just that in my last accommodation the mattress was basically sponge, horrible to sleep on.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Original post by Trosh
Hey, thanks for starting this thread :smile: My question is a simple one, what were the mattresses like in your accommodation? Seems like an odd one I know, its just that in my last accommodation the mattress was basically sponge, horrible to sleep on.

No problem.

They actually replaced all the mattresses last summer so they are all pretty good.

for the new accommodation (Willow Court and Alexander Court Town houses) there will be new mattresses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
hey whats it like living there? what goes on on campus?
Reply 4
Original post by WeeGuy
hey whats it like living there? what goes on on campus?

Well in your first year, both a lot and nothing goes on. It feels like a lot because you sit around with friends doing nothing all day.

In the first week you have all the furore of freshers and everyone going to the union and then after that you and your flat mates will probably be going out a couple of times a week to either dusk or Fubar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, a more scholastic question: What would a timetable look like for a 1st year student in a normal week? (:
At some unis you only seem to attend few lectures and others you have a full schedule 8 am - 4 pm, maybe with a single day without lectures. What it is like at Stirling? (:
Reply 6
Original post by MatildeDamsbo
Okay, a more scholastic question: What would a timetable look like for a 1st year student in a normal week? (:
At some unis you only seem to attend few lectures and others you have a full schedule 8 am - 4 pm, maybe with a single day without lectures. What it is like at Stirling? (:

You will do 3 modules per semester. Most modules have 3 hours contract time generally split into 2 lectures and one seminar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the rules on guests do you know? Is there a limit to the amount of people you can have stay or a sign in system?
A lot of my friends from home will be visiting scotland in september so they were wondering how many of them can do visit at once

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by James Fitzsimons
What are the rules on guests do you know? Is there a limit to the amount of people you can have stay or a sign in system?
A lot of my friends from home will be visiting scotland in september so they were wondering how many of them can do visit at once

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are staying in halls (AKD, Geddes, ASH) you aren't allowed any guests in Freshers week or in exam season. Any other time you are allowed a maximum of two guests who you must sign in to the building before 1am.

If you are in flats then you can do whatever you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I know this sounds sad, but when would I get my reading list out? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Lmhenry1
I know this sounds sad, but when would I get my reading list out? :smile:

Hi, I believe there is a general book list somewhere that you get pointed to as part of your induction pack.

If you check the individual departments websites then you'll be able to find stuff there though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do many come from Ireland to Stirling each year?
Reply 12
Original post by James Fitzsimons
Do many come from Ireland to Stirling each year?

Loads come from Northern Ireland because of the close proximity and the limited number of universities there. A sizeable number but not all that many cone from the republic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Tam1
Was wondering where you would advise to stay?
Still to apply for my accommodation, not sure where to apply ?

I'd advise AKD.

Geddes court is a dump.

Willow Court is full and ridiculously over priced anyway.

ASH is no better than AKD apart from the ensuite and that isn't worth the extra grand or so in price - you have about 4 people to a shower in AKD which is a perfectly acceptable ratio and I should know having managed in Murray Hall with 18 to a shower.

The flats are great but they suit second year upwards so much better. You only get the opportunity to live in halls in your first year and I don't think you should let that chance slip by.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I have a question about the layout of Muirhead flats. How close are flats such as 1/3/2 and 2/3/1? I know that the first number is the stair number, the second number is the level and the last number is the flat, but how far apart are the stairs? Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Pippin96
I have a question about the layout of Muirhead flats. How close are flats such as 1/3/2 and 2/3/1? I know that the first number is the stair number, the second number is the level and the last number is the flat, but how far apart are the stairs? Thanks very much :smile:

They are really close, about 15m. For visiting people, you haven't got far to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Tam1
Was thinking of applying to flats instead of halls so was wondering if there would be much difference?
Do people tend to go for same or mixed sex flats? Just not wanting to be unlucky if i go for mixed and i end up the only guy or make no friends haha,
Anyone any advice ?

Most people go for mixed, there are very few single sex flats. Boys and girls can be friends so you will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, um, first post ever. Hello to everyone! =)

I'll be joining the MLitt in Publishing Studies in September. Can anyone give me an idea about graduate accommodation, please? I haven't yet received an accommodation mail, so I don't know which places still have seats, since this is quite late. I've also never really lived communally. My previous university was in my home city so I lived at home, and I've been working for a year in a different city, where I have my own tiny flat.

I'd like an ensuite room, if possible. I'll also probably stay in and have to write a lot all year, so a quiet-ish location will be nice, but I'd also like to meet different kinds of people... so that. Um, and I'm Indian, but I wouldn't want to live with only other Indians/Asians (been doing that all my life), as long as the other people are friendly. What would you suggest?
Original post by Julychildren
Hey, um, first post ever. Hello to everyone! =)

I'll be joining the MLitt in Publishing Studies in September. Can anyone give me an idea about graduate accommodation, please? I haven't yet received an accommodation mail, so I don't know which places still have seats, since this is quite late. I've also never really lived communally. My previous university was in my home city so I lived at home, and I've been working for a year in a different city, where I have my own tiny flat.

I'd like an ensuite room, if possible. I'll also probably stay in and have to write a lot all year, so a quiet-ish location will be nice, but I'd also like to meet different kinds of people... so that. Um, and I'm Indian, but I wouldn't want to live with only other Indians/Asians (been doing that all my life), as long as the other people are friendly. What would you suggest?

Hi, you should check out this link, if you haven't already done so.

http://www.stir.ac.uk/campus-life/accommodation/postgraduates/

I don't know a huge amount about some of the residences, but I'll tell you what I can:
Alexander Court Townhouses will be brand new this year, located on campus but 7/8 minutes walk from the bulk of the buildings. This tends to be a quiet area.
John Forty’s Court (Ensuite) located half-way between campus and Stirling city center, there are also undergraduate flats in the same compound. These have a decent sized kitchen/living area.
Thistle Chambers are right in the heart of the city, handy for nightlife and shopping. Noisier than most of the other options.*
Friarscroft located just off campus, a 5 minute walk from the main buildings.*
Alangrange is another compound that is located just next to the campus. In a fairly quiet area.
Lyon Crescent is a bit further from campus, about a 15/20 minute walk or 5 minutes by bus. The flats are fairly self-contained and quiet.
Union Street, Bridge of Allan 15 minutes from campus, but handy for local shops in Bridge of Allan.
How bad is geddes compared to AKD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest