The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi...
Glad to see this post! Even I will be traveling from India and will reach there by sunday late Evening. Hope I dont miss much of the Freshers events!

I ve been given an Accomodation in Friarscroft. Can you tell me a little more about the place?
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Friarscroft is just beside the campus, about 5-10mins walk from most of the main buildings, but also just beside the main road to Stirling.

The building itself is pretty nice/traditional looking on the outside and you'll be sharing exclusively with other postgrads.

Hope this helps.
Hi I have a few questions.

How many modules can you take in total?
Online enrolement opened on the 27th but it says i can't do it yet. Any ideas as to why? I'm going to study psychology if that helps.
If I am going to study psychology would taking "introduction to psychology" help or would it be a waste of a module.

Thank for any you can answer
Reply 43
Original post by James Fitzsimons

Online enrolement opened on the 27th but it says i can't do it yet. Any ideas as to why? I'm going to study psychology if that helps.
If I am going to study psychology would taking "introduction to psychology" help or would it be a waste of a module.

You take 3 modules each semester, if you have passed all your modules so far then you have the opportunity to take only 2 modules in one of the second year semesters.

I am not sure why you are unable to do it yet, try contacting the admissions department by phone or email.

I would imagine that the module will be compulsory for you.
Reply 44
It sure did! Thanks for the reply..I d also like to know if this place is crowded or on an average how many people live here.

Cos I dont see many people who chose to live there! Is there anyone with me?
Reply 45

Enrolment opens on 27th August
Original post by Airstrip1
Enrolment opens on 27th August

....oh...well now i just feel silly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by swaditya
It sure did! Thanks for the reply..I d also like to know if this place is crowded or on an average how many people live here.

Cos I dont see many people who chose to live there! Is there anyone with me?

It is a small place and not many people live there. As it only postgrads then you won't see so many of them on here talking about where they will be staying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
....oh...well now i just feel silly

Posted from TSR Mobile

The welcome pack thing says you can register modules from the 1st August and administrative enrolment is the 27th. I think you can only register modules when it's an unconditional offer though. See here http://www.stir.ac.uk/induction/first-week/undergraduate-enrolment/
I have question. It says you are provided with a duvet and pillow but you have to leave them when you leave, so I take it this means they are not new. Would it be a better idea to buy your own duvet and pillow? Also would it be a good idea to buy a mattress topper?
Original post by alfalimaindia
I have question. It says you are provided with a duvet and pillow but you have to leave them when you leave, so I take it this means they are not new. Would it be a better idea to buy your own duvet and pillow? Also would it be a good idea to buy a mattress topper?

I was also wondering this. So will be help full someone could answer. Really wouldnt like to sleep with a duvet and pillow if someone the year before has used it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51

Original post by ryanomara2012
I was also wondering this. So will be help full someone could answer. Really wouldnt like to sleep with a duvet and pillow if someone the year before has used it.

In my first year, they were used and looked horrible. I returned them straight away to reception and used my own all year.

In my second year, they were actually brand new but as I had brought my own, I didn't use them much (only for guests). The duvet cover and pillow cases that you get will be brand new. The provided duvets/covers will all be polyester so if you are used to Cotton/feather then you won't like that.

As for a mattress topper, not really necessary, if you have one already then bring it but if not then maybe wait and see and then buy one if you decide you need it.
Original post by Stirling2014
In my first year, they were used and looked horrible. I returned them straight away to reception and used my own all year.

In my second year, they were actually brand new but as I had brought my own, I didn't use them much (only for guests). The duvet cover and pillow cases that you get will be brand new. The provided duvets/covers will all be polyester so if you are used to Cotton/feather then you won't like that.

As for a mattress topper, not really necessary, if you have one already then bring it but if not then maybe wait and see and then buy one if you decide you need it.

Thanks :smile:, I think I'd rather have my own duvet anyway.

So are the mattresses reasonably new then? I might see how much mattress toppers are first then decide.
Reply 53
Can anyone help me?! I'm reallyyyyy freaking out!!!!

I'm a UK student so don't apply for accommodation, hence, I am unaware of when I move in. I'm planning on going on holiday the 31st August- 3rd September, but then I realised the semester is meant to start 9th September says the Stirling website, but on my UCAS it says start date is the 14th? So what is the actual move in date? As in, when would I pack my bags and be on my way to Scotland?? I also read the whole everyone moves in a week before the semester starts, which would mean the 2nd, and I would still be on holiday. AHHHHHH HELPP!
Reply 54
Original post by Ella490

I'm a UK student so don't apply for accommodation, hence, I am unaware of when I move in. I'm planning on going on holiday the 31st August- 3rd September, but then I realised the semester is meant to start 9th September says the Stirling website, but on my UCAS it says start date is the 14th? So what is the actual move in date? As in, when would I pack my bags and be on my way to Scotland?? I also read the whole everyone moves in a week before the semester starts, which would mean the 2nd, and I would still be on holiday. AHHHHHH HELPP!

You should arrive at the accommodation on the Saturday for the freshers events which is the 7th. The earliest you can get into your accommodation at Stirling is 10am. As far as I know lessons start on the Tuesday (10th). My UCAS is wrong as well, but the website is 100 per cent right! :smile: Enjoy your holiday! :biggrin:
Reply 55
Original post by Ella490

Wait what do you mean by you don't apply for accommodation? You mean you haven't yet applied? :-)
Reply 56
Oh its going to be quite a place ( ;-) ) then!!

Thanks again!
Reply 57
Thanks :smile:, I think I'd rather have my own duvet anyway.

So are the mattresses reasonably new then? I might see how much mattress toppers are first then decide.

Almost all rooms had a new mattress this time last year so unless you are in a room where it had very heavy usage for some reason then it should be in good condition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
I have a question about the "flexibility" of the degrees; so let's say I applied to study psychology with french. If I realized that psychology is not my thing at the beginning of the course, could I change my degree or do I have to wait until the second year? I hope this makes sense :smile:

Also, how do exams work in Scotland? Is it just essays, or what?
Thank you for your help! :tongue:
Original post by pb94
I have a question about the "flexibility" of the degrees; so let's say I applied to study psychology with french. If I realized that psychology is not my thing at the beginning of the course, could I change my degree or do I have to wait until the second year? I hope this makes sense :smile:

Also, how do exams work in Scotland? Is it just essays, or what?
Thank you for your help! :tongue:

First, re: exams - most subjects/modules will have a mix of coursework (essays/in class tests/online assessments/practicals) and a final exam. The contribution of each of these, to your final grade will vary. Some modules have no final exam, but I'm unaware of any module that doesn't include any coursework.
Re: flexibility - it depends what you want to change to. In your example, if you wanted to change your degree programme to French, that would be very easy, because you would already have done the required French modules. If you decided to switch to marine biology, you would have to do this at the start of second year and complete the necessary first year biology modules at the same time as you were doing your 2nd year classes. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest