The Student Room Group

Maths Secondary PGCE interview

Hi folks,

I've got my interview at IOE soon and just wanted to know if anyone has information on how the interview is. It'll be even better if you went for an interview at IOE :smile:.

My mathematics knowledge is so poor I'm scared they might reject me and they're my first choice. I think I'l definitely have to complete an enhancement course.

Thanks!
My interview day at Nottingham Trent included a maths test with standard GCSE level stuff - bit of data analysis, proving trig identities etc. I assume that if you're going for a Maths course then you probably have a degree under your belt for it so you can't be that bad.

The interview itself won't focus on your subject knowledge. Pretty much every interview for various PGCE courses I've had asked me questions like what kind of teacher I wanted to be, why I want to be a teacher etc - also a scenario question, for me it was how would I teach adding of fractions to a low ability class with low motivation on a rainy wednesday afternoon.

If you have experience in schools they'll ask you about that to see what you've learnt from it, if not then they'll ask you things like how you think schools work and what the job role is to see how much you have looked into teaching as a career and what you know about it.
Reply 2
Hi there,

I have my PGCE Secondary Maths interview tomorrow.
I am terrified! Apart from the interview part and the presentation I have no idea if I have to sit an exam?
Does anybody know about this at all?
I only have a Maths A level and an English degree so I definitely have to do the enhancement course
Reply 3
Don't panic - they wouldn't be wasting their time in interviewing you if they didn't think you were good enough! A few tips from me: Be very positive and smiley, always try to input into a group situation in a friendly manner, try to use one example from your observation experience (i.e. when I had my mini-teach I used a 'countdown' and then explained this is something I saw sued well in a classroom setting).
Reply 4
Thanks guys! I have an A-Level in Maths and a degree in Accounting so it's been a while since I've done any Maths and during my experience at a school there's a lot of GCSE questions I hadn't learnt so it's pretty intimidating. @lemanie_pie good luck with your interview and let me know how it goes so I can hopefully take pointers of how yours was :smile:
Original post by lemanie_pie
Hi there,

I am terrified! Apart from the interview part and the presentation I have no idea if I have to sit an exam?
I only have a Maths A level and an English degree so I definitely have to do the enhancement course

Was about to reply to this but then I noticed you are probably in your interview right now. How did it go?

Original post by MusAhm
Thanks guys! I have an A-Level in Maths and a degree in Accounting so it's been a while since I've done any Maths and during my experience at a school there's a lot of GCSE questions I hadn't learnt so it's pretty intimidating. @lemanie_pie good luck with your interview and let me know how it goes so I can hopefully take pointers of how yours was :smile:

GCSE Bytesize website and a Maths GCSE textbook should help.
Reply 6
Original post by lemanie_pie
Hi there,

Hey how did your interview go? I had mine a couple of days ago it was okay don't think I've got the place but was a good experience nonetheless.
Reply 7
I don't know .i have an PGCE maths interview and test next week?do not have any idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending