The Student Room Group

Help + Subject Choice

Hi, I've just finished 5th year at school and need to choose what subjects to study in 6th year. I've just sat highers in English, Maths, History, Business Management and Chemistry and at the moment have picked Adv. higher Business Management, higher Modern Studies, and Intermediate 2 Computing and Media Studies. After 6th year I would like to go to university (although I'm starting to wish I'd applied to go this year!), however I'm starting to think I'll be wasting time doing the subjects I've picked and universities will look down on them. :redface: I've always liked the idea of being a journalist although I'm not entirely sure and would definitely consider other careers.
Any advice on what subjects I should do? (although bear in mind that my school's rather **** and my choice is limited!)
Thanks and sorry for the long post! :biggrin:
Reply 1
What do you want to study at University?
Reply 2
I'm not exactly sure, maybe English or a social science
Reply 3
I would suggest removing one of those subjects and putting in a more traditional subject. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with your subject choice, but there is evidence that Unis like you to have at least one more traditional subject (ignore people who say all 4 need to be!). I would suggest dropping maybe Modern Studies for English, especially if you're considering studying English at Uni or being a journalist - it shows consistency in your interest, while giving you a more traditional subject and one which will continue building on your analytical skills.
Reply 4
I know nothing about highers etc. but wouldn't you be able to do English, Business, Maths and History? You will have 3 traditional academic subjects which would pretty much open doors for any degree English/Social science related and Business which you wanted to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending