The Student Room Group

Imperial Medicine Applicants-2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by palmandal
It depends on whether UCL are sympathetic with people missing their offers - so if you were to get AAB at A level would UCL still take you on - in which case it would be a good choice as an insurance! You could have a look into that! Otherwise, if you know you're def not going there, I would withdraw if I were you - you don't need the interview and someone else might love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right. I think I'll speak with my teachers and decide accordingly. Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 981
Good luck! Really can't stress how LOVELY they are, they actually tell you you're doing well as you answer so don't be nervous! Also the current students are really nice and helpful, as are the candidates! If you read up on recent issues and know your PS you'll be abs fine! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I just hope I'm not one of the few that misses out on an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 982
Is this a joke?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly, nobody's stupid enough to ONLY get 13A*
Mine was last Wednesday! Are you firming it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so, I really like Imperial. I'll think on it more but yeah I'll probably firm it.
Reply 984
I will apply for Medicine at Imperial next year, what kind of activities did you guys do to get offers? As in how much work experience, volunteering and other commitments. Please also say whether you're from a state , grammer or private school
Original post by bossun
I will apply for Medicine at Imperial next year, what kind of activities did you guys do to get offers? As in how much work experience, volunteering and other commitments. Please also say whether you're from a state , grammer or private school

Well, I'm an international student so it might be a little bit different from your situation. I did some internship at a neuroscience research facility, work experience in a private clinic, and volunteer work in care centres for polio patients. I took my gap year, and that certainly took up a major part of my preparation for interview (but they never asked anything about it).
Original post by bossun

Hi, I went to an independent school and arranged the following work experience (by calling up 148 hospitals, gp practises, alcoholic Anonymous, you name it, I've probably called them up!)
>3 weeks medical work experience in various departments (medical and surgical) out of which 1 week was in India (paeds)
>3 years volunteering at a care home
1 week in rehab centre, 2 weeks in a pharmacy
D of e gold, peer mentor, prefect, run a biosoc, went to a med summer school

In terms of work experience, it's how you reflect on it that matters!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 987
Original post by KanKan
Loool is that all? Surprised you even got called for interview :colone:

haha me too!! what are the odds??
Reply 988
Original post by habs10
Clearly, nobody's stupid enough to ONLY get 13A*

Its not a joke, why would I joke about getting a place to study medicine? I did 21 gcses, and only got 13 A*s when really i should have got 18 or 19. I am an international student and we take education very seriously in my school.
Reply 989
Original post by Donswagz
Its not a joke, why would I joke about getting a place to study medicine? I did 21 gcses, and only got 13 A*s when really i should have got 18 or 19. I am an international student and we take education very seriously in my school.

lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 990
Original post by Donswagz

nice effort mate
Reply 991
Original post by cocochannel1
AHH SAME! Has interview on 5th feb and just got an offer!! :biggrin:

Congratulations! I also got an offer :biggrin:(AAAC) on 13/02/14 and was interviewed last Wednesday (05/02/14)!!! I may have seen you guys - I was the short Indian guy in the black suit, I went on the tour and had my interview at 2pm.
This is my first offer, but I have 2 more interviews coming up at Barts and UCL. If I get a UCL offer I'm not sure if I would firm Imperial or UCL. Also not sure about my Barts interview - should I decline it as I prefer Imperial and UCL or take it as potential insurance as I only have one offer.

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks and good luck to everyone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 992
Original post by StephenNaulls
nice effort mate

Yes well done obviously it was a joke, my name's donswagz....
Reply 993
Original post by Semanresu
Congratulations! I also got an offer :biggrin:(AAAC) on 13/02/14 and was interviewed last Wednesday (05/02/14)!!! I may have seen you guys - I was the short Indian guy in the black suit, I went on the tour and had my interview at 2pm.
This is my first offer, but I have 2 more interviews coming up at Barts and UCL. If I get a UCL offer I'm not sure if I would firm Imperial or UCL. Also not sure about my Barts interview - should I decline it as I prefer Imperial and UCL or take it as potential insurance as I only have one offer.

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

what are your GCSE results?
Reply 994
Original post by monisj1
what are your GCSE results?

GCSEs: 6.5 A*s, 3 As, 0.5 Bs
A-Levels: Predicted 4 A*s
BMAT: 6.5, 5.5, 4A

How is your application going?
Good luck!
Reply 995
Original post by bossun

I'm from a state school and my work exp was a week in a hospital, and volunteering weekly at a local hospice for the past year (also did a few days in a GP practice, but that was after I applied so it wasn't on my PS), I wish I had done a bit more though because it's so good for getting a realistic idea of medicine. Good luck!
Reply 996
Hello
Reply 997
Hi, sorry about the above posting.

I am a GP practicing in Singapore. Thought I will post something for the International students applying ...
My daughter (she's Singaporean) had her interview on 29 Feb, offer came exactly 2 weeks later on 13 Feb.

Her stats :
IGCSE : 9A* 1B (for 1st Language Chinese)
Predicted IB (exams in May ) : 45/45
BMAT : 6.5, 5.5, 5A
ECAs: LCLT (violin)
Grade 8 (piano)
Singapore National Youth Orchestra 1s Violins, x 6years
Concert Master, High School Orchestra
Double-Diamonds Black slope skiing
School Badminton team
President, Medical Society
President of 2 other societies

Did a lot of internships in Singapore (hospitals, clinics), Myanmar border area (orphanage), Bangkok, Malaysia. She also volunteered for 2 hours weekly x FOUR years in a community hospital. She is extremely passionate about medicine and I think this passion clearly comes though in al her interviews.
Interview Tuesday and bricking it... Advice?? Being calm is my main issue because nerves get to me :frown:
Reply 999
Original post by Dandaman9999
Interview Tuesday and bricking it... Advice?? Being calm is my main issue because nerves get to me :frown:

I know this is a lot easier said than done but DON'T BE! I used to get very nervous but I just kept practising, and also I found that videoing my practise interviews and watching them back was a (cringey but) good way to identify what I needed to focus on to improve.

The questions themselves aren't hard, and they do vary a little from interview to interview - for example I wasn't given an ethical scenario. (There are three or four interview panels on the day I think.) I would say just make sure you know what you want to cover for the standard motivational/personal qualities questions. Some of my friends draw mindmaps of their experiences and stuff which might help because then you'll be ready for anything and hopefully not so nervous! The interviewers are so lovely, they encourage you as you go along so you never really feel unsure of your answers, and in my interview they asked further questions if they wanted more info.

Hope that helps :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending