The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Change to law

Hi everyone , my BA degree is business studies with finance , I wonder if there's any chance for me to apply MA in Law in Soas , if there's , which Law subject I can go for applying ? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Yunyunyun
Hi everyone , my BA degree is business studies with finance , I wonder if there's any chance for me to apply MA in Law in Soas , if there's , which Law subject I can go for applying ? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on whether you wish to do an LLM or simply an MA. With regards to doing an LLM, the short answer is no as you are required to have completed a first degree in law. If you really wanted to do an LLM in something related to your first degree like international economic law you could always just contact the admissions tutor and ask them since its always worth confirming whether or not they would be flexible. It certainly would not hurt to ask.

If you wish to do an MA in law there is no problem at all. You can usually get in with a 2.1 degree in any social science though it is preferrable for it to be in a 'relevant' social science to whichever MA law program you are applying for. In your case, since you are asking which to apply for, the closest to your BA are 'International and Comparative Commercial Law' and 'Law, Development and Globalisation'.

Hope that helps!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by iberz
It depends on whether you wish to do an LLM or simply an MA. With regards to doing an LLM, the short answer is no as you are required to have completed a first degree in law. If you really wanted to do an LLM in something related to your first degree like international economic law you could always just contact the admissions tutor and ask them since its always worth confirming whether or not they would be flexible. It certainly would not hurt to ask.

If you wish to do an MA in law there is no problem at all. You can usually get in with a 2.1 degree in any social science though it is preferrable for it to be in a 'relevant' social science to whichever MA law program you are applying for. In your case, since you are asking which to apply for, the closest to your BA are 'International and Comparative Commercial Law' and 'Law, Development and Globalisation'.

Hope that helps!

What's the difference between an LLM and a MA?
Reply 3
Original post by peter12345
What's the difference between an LLM and a MA?

Content wise the two can end being very similar since you are often doing the same courses, the overall details are different though like the way your classification is decided and also the requirements to fulfill the program. The key thing though is that an MA is never a component for someone who wishes to practise whereas the LLM is often part a route for people who wish to practise, though I may add its also not enough if unaccompanied with other qualifications. To be honest the whole route to become qualified to practise really confuses me as someone not interested in a legal career so you could find out more about that from someone more qualified. But thats a really rudimentary and basic distinction.
Reply 4
Original post by iberz

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your advice , I don't think LLM will take me because my BA is not Law , so I think I will go for MA . But if I get MA in law , can I still work as a Lawyer after I graduate ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending