The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Access to leeds psychology 2013

Hey, just thought i'd create this thread to see who else is hoping to do psychology at Leeds University this September, and whose going to be completing the A2L module for psychology. And how people are finding it?!

I decided to leave it until after exams were over but now i'm really worrying and i just can't seem to make a good start on the essay :frown: The other assignment seemed dead straight forward and i just got on with it but can't seem to do it with this one :/ Hoping that people will reply to this thread and that discussing it will be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

I'm also doing the A2L psychology assignment and finding it a bit difficult!

Is your question "Can conditioning theories still be considered general explanations of learning?"?
I think it's a pretty confusing question because you have to directly link the theories to 'learning' specifically and not just behaviour, right?

Also, has the tutor person emailed you yet? He hasn't emailed me and I've still to give in a first draft... :frown:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
_hj
OP
Original post by SAHUSSAIN
Hey,

I'm also doing the A2L psychology assignment and finding it a bit difficult!

Is your question "Can conditioning theories still be considered general explanations of learning?"?
I think it's a pretty confusing question because you have to directly link the theories to 'learning' specifically and not just behaviour, right?

Also, has the tutor person emailed you yet? He hasn't emailed me and I've still to give in a first draft... :frown:

Yeah mines the same questions, I had such a hard time trying to get it started.
I've managed to send in a draft and they said I'm on the right lines, I just need to make a few changes to "change the emphasis" so it relates fully to the question.

I didn't get an email either so I just emailed them using the contact details given on the assignment sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by _hj
Yeah mines the same questions, I had such a hard time trying to get it started.
I've managed to send in a draft and they said I'm on the right lines, I just need to make a few changes to "change the emphasis" so it relates fully to the question.

I didn't get an email either so I just emailed them using the contact details given on the assignment sheet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm the same with getting it started... just don't feel it's really making much sense. How long did it take them to get back to you?

And what have you talked about, if you don't mind me asking? Like what conditioning theories are and how they're used in learning? Also, how did you include the sources (all of them?), they're very detailed.
Reply 4
_hj
OP
Yeah, I'm the same with getting it started... just don't feel it's really making much sense. How long did it take them to get back to you?

And what have you talked about, if you don't mind me asking? Like what conditioning theories are and how they're used in learning? Also, how did you include the sources (all of them?), they're very detailed.

I started off explaining what conditioning theories are, and mentioned that they were a behaviourist approach so called a bit about the strengths/weakness of behaviourism, and then I went on about limitations of conditioning as a learning theory and biological constraints. As for the references, I used the one that has 'retrospect and prospect' in the title and then mostly found my own because I didn't like the ones they gave us, but now I'm making some changes to it I think I'm gonna try and use them more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
_hj
OP

Also, forgot to say, he got back to me really fast, as in, the same day. Was probably within two hours to be honest :smile: which I thought was really good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by _hj
I started off explaining what conditioning theories are, and mentioned that they were a behaviourist approach so called a bit about the strengths/weakness of behaviourism, and then I went on about limitations of conditioning as a learning theory and biological constraints. As for the references, I used the one that has 'retrospect and prospect' in the title and then mostly found my own because I didn't like the ones they gave us, but now I'm making some changes to it I think I'm gonna try and use them more
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, I've explained what the theories are and a few strengths and weaknesses... what are your biological constraints? My main difficulty with it is just linking it to learning like the limitations, how would you link them to learning?

Yeah I think I might try digging up some of my own references too, but I thought we had to use the ones they gave us at least once?

Wow, that's really good that he replied within a day! I'm hopefully going to send my first draft tomorrow. :smile:
Reply 7
_hj
OP
This is a bit cheeky but, do you know of any instances where conditioning theory cannot explain learning? I briefly mentioned that it's unlikely to be able to account for a acquisition of language but i can't seem to find enough material on that or any others to really back that up in my essay and make some good points.

I'm not expecting you tell my everything if you do know, just if you had an idea and could point me in the right direction, i'm just sick of typing 'learning not accounted for by conditioning theory' into google and looking in textbooks and finding nothing! :frown: I don't know if its just me not looking properly, because surely there must be loads of material out there, i'm just not looking in the right places perhaps
Reply 8
_hj
OP
Oh yeah, I've explained what the theories are and a few strengths and weaknesses... what are your biological constraints? My main difficulty with it is just linking it to learning like the limitations, how would you link them to learning?

Yeah I think I might try digging up some of my own references too, but I thought we had to use the ones they gave us at least once?

Wow, that's really good that he replied within a day! I'm hopefully going to send my first draft tomorrow. :smile:

I've managed to use the references they gave us twice now, but still struggling a bit to really link many more in.

And for biological constraints I looked at any limitations on learning between different species? :s-smilie: So i looked into studies into different animals.

Have you managed to send in a draft yet?
Reply 9
Original post by _hj
This is a bit cheeky but, do you know of any instances where conditioning theory cannot explain learning? I briefly mentioned that it's unlikely to be able to account for a acquisition of language but i can't seem to find enough material on that or any others to really back that up in my essay and make some good points.

I'm not expecting you tell my everything if you do know, just if you had an idea and could point me in the right direction, i'm just sick of typing 'learning not accounted for by conditioning theory' into google and looking in textbooks and finding nothing! :frown: I don't know if its just me not looking properly, because surely there must be loads of material out there, i'm just not looking in the right places perhaps

Erm, I'm not sure if it's right but I talked about how conditioning theories only look at nurture so if maybe a learning disability like Autism affected learning, conditioning wouldn't be able to explain it as it's nature... not 100% sure! I'm the same with that though, that's like the only thing I could talk about!
Reply 10
Original post by _hj
I've managed to use the references they gave us twice now, but still struggling a bit to really link many more in.

And for biological constraints I looked at any limitations on learning between different species? :s-smilie: So i looked into studies into different animals.

Have you managed to send in a draft yet?

So you've used two of the references? I've used one of theirs but they're so extensive!!! Haha.

Yeah the different species thing is what I added (hoping it's right!) What different animals studies did you look at? If you don't mind me asking!

Nooo :frown: something always keeps popping up but definitely sending it tomorrow!
Reply 11
Hi, I am really struggling with this too, I was told I would be assigned my tutor in may and he never contacted me so I emailed him asking advice and he has not replied to my email so now im starting to panic! What have you wrpte about for the limitations on what can be paired with what? and also have you explained what operant and classical conditioning was? :smile:
Reply 12
_hj
OP
Original post by ssayer
Hi, I am really struggling with this too, I was told I would be assigned my tutor in may and he never contacted me so I emailed him asking advice and he has not replied to my email so now im starting to panic! What have you wrpte about for the limitations on what can be paired with what? and also have you explained what operant and classical conditioning was? :smile:

Hey, when did you email him? That's really bad he hasn't replied to you :frown: hopefully he will soon!

Yeah I explained what the two types of conditioning were, and for what can be paired with what i put that there is no limit on what stimuli can be paired with what - I asked the tutor and he said this was right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
oh right :smile: thank you! i havent even submitted a draft :frown: where did you find the other sources for like differences in learning betweeen different species? just looked at studies of different animals?
Reply 14
and what weaknesses did you write about for the conditioning theories? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ssayer
oh right :smile: thank you! i havent even submitted a draft :frown: where did you find the other sources for like differences in learning betweeen different species? just looked at studies of different animals?

I emailed him yesterday with my first draft but he said it was too late so he couldn't give me feedback! :frown: So I'm just gonna do what I can now and hope for the best when I submit it!
I was waiting for his email before I sent a draft into him. I guess I won't be doing that now :frown: I'm really struggling and panicking!!!
Reply 17
Original post by FrankieStanford
I was waiting for his email before I sent a draft into him. I guess I won't be doing that now :frown: I'm really struggling and panicking!!!

Me too! Especially with the reading they've given us... I can't include it and I've just read that we should aim to put in some of our own sources from books but I've got no time left for that! :s-smilie:

What are you struggling with?
Me too! Especially with the reading they've given us... I can't include it and I've just read that we should aim to put in some of our own sources from books but I've got no time left for that! :s-smilie:

What are you struggling with?

Just the essay in general; I don't really get the suggestions for what to write in relation to the reading given to us... I'm trying but it's just really hard!!:frown:
Reply 19
Original post by FrankieStanford
Just the essay in general; I don't really get the suggestions for what to write in relation to the reading given to us... I'm trying but it's just really hard!!:frown:

Yeah I get what you mean, it's quite vague and the reading is so detailed which makes it harder to relate it to the essay, that's why I'm struggling with that part so much... :/

I think as long as you've stuck to the title and discussed it like what conditioning theories are, limitations like using animals etc, you should be fine! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest