The Student Room Group

Course choosing

I am going into year 13 in September and I still have no idea what I want to do at university. I'm doing Biology, chemistry and maths next year.
I have ruled out medicine as I don't have the work experience or voluntary work for it.
I'm considering dentistry and I'm organising work experience for that at the moment.
However I am still considering both Physiotherapy and Optometry. Could someone give me a general idea what the job prospects of these careers are? And there salary potentials?
Finally are there any other degrees that I could apply for with the subjects I'm studying that have decent job prospects, a good salary and are relatively interesting?
Thanks
Reply 1
bump
My advice would be dont choose a career on what the salary or the job prospects are.
Choose what you like doing and monetary success will follow.

Have as much experience as you can in each of the field you are considering so that you know what you are getting into: try an optician job, shadow a physiotherapist ... If at the end of the year you still dont know what you like, take a year out and experience !

It would be too bad to waste 9K,18K or 27K and end up in a job you hate and you'll be doing for 30+ years.
Dentistry, Optometry and Physiotherapy are VERY different
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
"My advice would be dont choose a career on what the salary or the job prospects are.
Choose what you like doing and monetary success will follow".

I don't necessarily agree with this advice. If you chose your course simply on what you enjoy, you could be stuck with a qualification that the market dosn't need.

I am starting Optometry in Sept after investing the last 12 years of my life in Aviation.
Original post by jamess115
"My advice would be dont choose a career on what the salary or the job prospects are.
Choose what you like doing and monetary success will follow".

I don't necessarily agree with this advice. If you chose your course simply on what you enjoy, you could be stuck with a qualification that the market dosn't need.

I am starting Optometry in Sept after investing the last 12 years of my life in Aviation.

Well I really hope you are choosing Optometry because you like the job, not for the career prospects or the earning potential, because I really doubt you will earn as much as what you did in your previous job.

So I still think that "do what you like" is best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending