The Student Room Group

"You're like a son/daughter to me" - boss

There was a situation in my prior office where the boss liked the work (and/or the attitude) of the employee so much the they said, "You're like a son/daughter to me".

Now, we (some of the employees who overheard it) were discussing whether that statement would actually promote pseudo-nepotism (it's pseudo because they are not actually related) or favouritism. The employee told us that he was uncomfortable when the boss said that because he just wanted to remain professional and didn't like being known as what had been mentioned.

What's your take on this? Would this promote pseudo-nepotism or favouritism?

There are of course situations where the employer likes the employee so much that preferential treatment is given or sometimes, emotional blackmail would occur.
Reply 1
You guys sound incredibly jealous. Bosses may not always allude as to which employees they prefer, but you can bet the majority do harbour preferences. The only difference is, your boss actually said it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ras17

You guys sound incredibly jealous. Bosses may not always allude as to which employees they prefer, but you can bet the majority do harbour preferences. The only difference is, your boss actually said it.

No; no. We weren't jealous at all. We were just discussing whether it would promote the things that were mentioned.
Reply 3
Original post by kka25
No; no. We weren't jealous at all. We were just discussing whether it would promote the things that were mentioned.

It might. That's always going to be a possibility. But like I said, whether your boss said it out loud, or didn't, those would've been his/her preferences. It's like that in every work place, not just yours. The only difference is that you guys just know his/her preference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending