The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Few questions to current students..

I am hoping to start Kent university this September and was wondering if anyone currently studying there would be able to help me.

I am buying a new laptop and was wondering if it was worth buying the Microsoft Office software. It is just so expensive and I was just asking if I would be able to survive on the free software OpenOffice (I'm hopefully doing a History degree if that makes a difference).

Also I was wondering if there are any mobile networks to avoid as the signal is bad on campus. I think this may have been asked before but it was a while ago.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1
I'm not at kent but can answer your question about office. As a uni student you'll be eligible to buy the student's version of Office. Office 365 university is currently £53 on Amazon and has a 4 year licence and allows installation on two computers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00A2ILXOC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi jane7,

I just recently graduated. The mobile signal tends to be fine around campus, I'm on O2 and I never tend to have problems except in the basement of the library. If you're looking to save the money Open Office should be fine; I have survived three years without ever having Microsoft Office on my own laptop. Usually I type work up in Open Office (make sure to mark your references for later editing) and then I save it as a .doc and email it to myself. This means I can then edit it on a university PC (they all have Office and there are lots of them even if the library is full) but also allows me to have a backup copy should anything happen to my laptop.

I hope this helps!
Reply 3
Thank you both so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending