The Student Room Group

Top PGCE Uni's

Thinking of doing a primary PGCE after i've finished my degree. The two places i'm most interested in are Bath Spa and Edinburgh. Can anyone tell me where these rank or link me to a list of rankings for PGCE.

Many thanks
Original post by wkd
Thinking of doing a primary PGCE after i've finished my degree. The two places i'm most interested in are Bath Spa and Edinburgh. Can anyone tell me where these rank or link me to a list of rankings for PGCE.

Many thanks

It doesn't matter at all. Schools don't care where you train. You would be best advised to head for the part of the country where you would ultimately like to work as you will make local contacts that may help you to secure a job at the end of the course.
Reply 2
Original post by wkd

Many thanks

They're rated by Ofsted ratings, which are freely available online. But really it doesn't matter. Go for the place that suits you best geographically, thats what most people tend to do.
Reply 3
Universities that rank quite low in undergraduate league tables and that you might instinctively turn your nose up if you went to a higher-ranked university are the biggest providers of teacher training, usually with outstanding Ofsted accreditation to boot. Historically teacher training was not provided by universities which is why it is the old polytechnics/teaching colleges which are still the centre of teacher training.

Some Russell Group and 1994 group universities do offer teacher training but the cohorts are often smaller and therefore more competitive - and as Mr M has said this doesn't really translate into an increased chance of getting a job. Most teachers in their 40s or above (i.e. the ones doing the hiring) went to the ex-polytechnics/teaching colleges for their training - and if it was good enough for them... is the thinking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending