The Student Room Group

"How do I calculate my UCAS points? ANYONE?"

Hey guys,
Anyone got some helpful tools or stuff to calculate UCAS points for AS results?
Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello shahida07,

You can use this UCAS calculator to help you calculate how many UCAS points you have gained for A-level or AS.
Includes other qualifications such as BTEC or music.

LINK: http://alan.co.uk/ucas

You can access this calculator (above) on your browser, and on the link above, you can download the Android/iOS (iPhone/iPad) application versions of it so you can calculate your UCAS points on the go!

You can also compare your UCAS points with other UK universities there.

Should help fix your confusion up!

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shahida07
Hey guys,
Anyone got some helpful tools or stuff to calculate UCAS points for AS results?
Thanks

It's actually very simple, AS levels are worth HALF the UCAS points of a full A-level. See below...

AS level UCAS points:

A - 60
B - 50
C - 40
D - 30
E - 20

A-level (AS + A2) UCAS points:

A* - 140
A - 120
B - 100
C - 80
D - 60
E - 40

So, if you had ABB at A-level plus a grade C in an AS subject you would have 360 UCAS points. It's important to note that if you have a full A-level at grade A then it is 120 points, not 120 points plus the grade you got at AS - this is a common mistake. Points at AS are only used when you have not taken the subject to A2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LukeyJB
It's actually very simple, AS levels are worth HALF the UCAS points of a full A-level. See below...

AS level UCAS points:

A - 60
B - 50
C - 40
D - 30
E - 20

A-level (AS + A2) UCAS points:

A* - 140
A - 120
B - 100
C - 80
D - 60
E - 40

So, if you had ABB at A-level plus a grade C in an AS subject you would have 360 UCAS points. It's important to note that if you have a full A-level at grade A then it is 120 points, not 120 points plus the grade you got at AS - this is a common mistake. Points at AS are only used when you have not taken the subject to A2.

Nicely explained. Thumbs up for you!
Edit: Nevermind! "You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!". Still, that could not be explained better, well done.
Reply 5

Great resource, haha!
Reply 6
Original post by Sayonara
Hello shahida07,

You can use this UCAS calculator to help you calculate how many UCAS points you have gained for A-level or AS.
Includes other qualifications such as BTEC or music.

LINK: http://alan.co.uk/ucas

You can access this calculate (above) on your browser, and on the link above, you can download the Android/iOS (iPhone/iPad) application versions of it so you can calculate your UCAS points on the go!

You can also compare your UCAS points with other UK universities there.

Should help fix your confusion up!

Good luck!

I wouldn't trust the university list. It's claiming my UCAS points wont get me into two places which I got into. A bit misleading, and worrying haha
Reply 7
Original post by CoolCat94
I wouldn't trust the university list. It's claiming my UCAS points wont get me into two places which I got into. A bit misleading, and worrying haha

Not once did my application claim that you wouldn't get into these places.

The university list isn't incorrect as of last year. My application just states whether your UCAS points are lower or at least equal to the average UCAS points achieved by other people that got in. Obviously there would be people going into these universities with lower UCAS points than their averages. For instance, the average income of a UK household is about £21,000 - but that doesn't mean all households in the UK earn at least £21,000.00, some households earn much lower than that - some households have an income of £100,000+ while some household incomes are < £1,337.

Edit: I don't feel it is misleading, but if you really do find it misleading (strangely), I may put a note stating "Some people can get into these universities with lower UCAS points than the averages." to remind people that these are averages and not requirements.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
The only oddity is the EPQ which is commonly thought to be an AS level. However, it is actually half a full A level and therefore an A* grade, worth 70 points (half of 140) is possible.
Reply 9
Original post by pepperthecat
The only oddity is the EPQ which is commonly thought to be an AS level. However, it is actually half a full A level and therefore an A* grade, worth 70 points (half of 140) is possible.

Ahh, I didn't know that! Thanks, this information has helped me!
Original post by Sayonara
Not once did my application claim that you wouldn't get into these places.

The university list isn't incorrect as of last year. My application just states whether your UCAS points are lower or at least equal to the average UCAS points achieved by other people that got in. Obviously there would be people going into these universities with lower UCAS points than their averages. For instance, the average income of a UK household is about £21,000 - but that doesn't mean all households in the UK earn at least £21,000.00, some households earn much lower than that - some households have an income of £100,000+ while some household incomes are < £1,337.

Edit: I don't feel it is misleading, but if you really do find it misleading (strangely), I may put a note stating "Some people can get into these universities with lower UCAS points than the averages." to remind people that these are averages and not requirements.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Relax, I wasn't negatively criticising the points system, I just felt that since it was saying the average, this would be what you need to enter, on average, rather than being what the average student gets, which of course could be higher than the requirements themselves.

When it tells you that you are 100 UCAS points under the average it gives you the impression that you would not meet the requirements. I was only giving feedback. It's a good system, I just gave my input on how I felt, there's no need to be snappy and say that my opinion is strange. You created a very helpful application, and I'm just a website visitor providing input, as a visitor. It's only feedback.

Edit: just an idea, maybe you could put the "average UCAS points achieved by students in this centre" or something of similar effect, so that it's clear that it is being measured against other student's UCAS points, rather than the UCAS points the university requires. I think that would be more helpful, but just a suggestion :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by CoolCat94
Relax, I wasn't negatively criticising the points system, I just felt that since it was saying the average, this would be what you need to enter, on average, rather than being what the average student gets, which of course could be higher than the requirements themselves.

When it tells you that you are 100 UCAS points under the average it gives you the impression that you would not meet the requirements. I was only giving feedback. It's a good system, I just gave my input on how I felt, there's no need to be snappy and say that my opinion is strange. You created a very helpful application, and I'm just a website visitor providing input, as a visitor. It's only feedback.

Edit: just an idea, maybe you could put the "average UCAS points achieved by students in this centre" or something of similar effect, so that it's clear that it is being measured against other student's UCAS points, rather than the UCAS points the university requires. I think that would be more helpful, but just a suggestion :smile:

Sorry if my reply seemed very blunt. Thanks for the feedback, I will genuinely consider displaying a sentence or two in my application to prevent people from being misleaded. :smile:
What if I get an A for AS (so 60 UCAS points) but an E overall in A-level? Do I keep my 60 UCAS points or will that reduce to 40 UCAS points?
Reply 13
Original post by Konnichiwa
What if I get an A for AS (so 60 UCAS points) but an E overall in A-level? Do I keep my 60 UCAS points or will that reduce to 40 UCAS points?

Yes, your AS UCAS points are only valid if you did not take the subject to A2, a lot of universities don't consider AS UCAS points either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending