The Student Room Group

Help! Scared about starting Physics AS... Is it too difficult?

My GCSE results were: a*aaabbbbb
I have just confirmed my AS Levels : Maths,Hist,Economics and.... Physics!
But I'm super scared about starting Physics:frown:
I couldn't decide between a humanity based subject like English Lit or Philosophy or a scientific subject - Physics!
I find Physics highly interesting and am willing to put in 110% effort as soon as I begin the course. However, my dad strongly advised against it since it would be too difficult. I also visited a tuition center with my dad and the principal there warned me against Physics too, saying that the highest anyone has gotten was a C in his center... I'm really nervous that I have made the wrong choice! The teachers told me I should consider more social sciences seeing as I got an A and A* in both English courses at GCSE but I don't know.. I don't really find English that interesting.....
In future I would really like to go into Finance!

Scroll to see replies

If you put in the work, inside and outside of college, then AS Physics should not be too hard. However, the fact that the principal is saying that nobody has gotten more than a C suggests to me that the teaching may be below par.

One of the main things to consider is whether you enjoy or are interested in the subjects. You certainly seem interested in physics, and combining it with maths should aid you in your journey towards working in finance.
Reply 2
Original post by MelonSponge
If you put in the work, inside and outside of college, then AS Physics should not be too hard. However, the fact that the principal is saying that nobody has gotten more than a C suggests to me that the teaching may be below par.

One of the main things to consider is whether you enjoy or are interested in the subjects. You certainly seem interested in physics, and combining it with maths should aid you in your journey towards working in finance.

Ok, thanks! Can you please give me some tips on getting a really good mark in the ISA?
I've also confirmed my a-level choices but I am not sure if I can change them now... ****.
I'm also taking AS level Physics this year, and I had some really in-depth talks with my GCSE Physics teacher about it because I was slightly worried about taking it. He said that Physics is basically applied maths, and it is quite a step-up from GCSE to AS level but if you work really hard then it should be absolutely fine. You say that you find Physics interesting, and you're much more likely to do well in a subject you're interested in as you'll be willing to put in extra work outside of school :biggrin: so I would say go for it! Try not to worry about it too much though, because if you worry and start panicking you won't do as well in ISAs and exams.

Physics is probably better for finance than a social science, it's more highly respected by prospective universities, and if you start it and are struggling you should be able to switch to another subject within the first few weeks - the majority of schools have that policy.
Reply 5
I'hv just finished AS physics and its is terribly hard. i mean i found it really hard because AS physics is the biggest jump ever from GCSE.
I don't mean to scare you but if you put in A LOT of work in it then i guess you will surely succeed but it is hard the first time. Gets easier as you go along.
Also depends which exam board ure doing. OCR is way harder then AQA is. so depends on a lot of things i guess. AS physics is good tho, a very challenging subject worth doing i guess. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
I've also confirmed my a-level choices but I am not sure if I can change them now... ****.

I'm pretty sure you can still change them once you start school, just tell your teachers ASAP.

Original post by LeFailFish
I'm also taking AS level Physics this year, and I had some really in-depth talks with my GCSE Physics teacher about it because I was slightly worried about taking it. He said that Physics is basically applied maths, and it is quite a step-up from GCSE to AS level but if you work really hard then it should be absolutely fine. You say that you find Physics interesting, and you're much more likely to do well in a subject you're interested in as you'll be willing to put in extra work outside of school :biggrin: so I would say go for it! Try not to worry about it too much though, because if you worry and start panicking you won't do as well in ISAs and exams.

Physics is probably better for finance than a social science, it's more highly respected by prospective universities, and if you start it and are struggling you should be able to switch to another subject within the first few weeks - the majority of schools have that policy.

Thanks! This was really helpful :smile:

Original post by DdosetDaram
I'hv just finished AS physics and its is terribly hard. i mean i found it really hard because AS physics is the biggest jump ever from GCSE.
I don't mean to scare you but if you put in A LOT of work in it then i guess you will surely succeed but it is hard the first time. Gets easier as you go along.
Also depends which exam board ure doing. OCR is way harder then AQA is. so depends on a lot of things i guess. AS physics is good tho, a very challenging subject worth doing i guess. :smile:

I am doing AQA and yeah, its definitely worth doing.
I am still a bit scared by what you said but I guess I just need to work really hard and stay on top of my work.
What grade did you get? Also, can you please give me some tips on how to do well in the ISA? :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

The college has to make a timetable for me and if i change on the first day, they would have to change it again right? Or should i phone up asap before college starts to avoid hassle?
Yo mate take my advise and don't do what I did. My teacher wasnt very good hence no one was able to get an a at AS.
So basically what I did was up until march I just go to into lessons and come out not knowing what the beep was going on. And thats fine.. As long as I asked the teacher for extra help, but i didnt think it would be useful. So anyways I got into april and I was like crap how am I gona get an a now...
So i worked my ass off and managed to get a b.

So just make sure you understand what is going on in class.. Most people think they do but they they actually don't.
Reply 9
I just got an A in A level physics (AQA too), feel free to PM me if you are worried or want any advice, like with most things if you put in the effort you should be fine.
Physics AS is actually not as challenging as everyone makes it out to be - it's basically just maths with common sense. If you did well at maths GCSE (preferably grade a or above, although with a b it should still be possible) and you keep on top of the work then it should be fairly simple. The key is to try to UNDERSTAND the topics rather than just memorising the equations - this makes the exams so much easier since they are all about applying your maths + physics skills to different situations. Do loads of practice papers and ask your teacher for help if you are at all confused on any topic. With a bit of work, it is definitely possible to achieve top grades, even if you don't think that physics is your strongest subject at the moment. Doing maths AS will definitely help as well :smile:
Original post by isabella224
I couldn't decide between a humanity based subject like English Lit or Philosophy or a scientific subject - Physics!
I find Physics highly interesting and am willing to put in 110% effort as soon as I begin the course. However, my dad strongly advised against it since it would be too difficult. I also visited a tuition center with my dad and the principal there warned me against Physics too, saying that the highest anyone has gotten was a C in his center... I'm really nervous that I have made the wrong choice! The teachers told me I should consider more social sciences seeing as I got an A and A* in both English courses at GCSE but I don't know.. I don't really find English that interesting.....

Go for it! I gave up after january, so didn't do any work for it but still got a high C. It's not too hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm in the same position :frown:
Reply 13
I have just finished AS Physics! I don't think it is as bad as some people say it is :smile: As long as you find it interesting and are willing to do the work (there is quite a lot) you will be fine!
Reply 14
it's not that bad jheeeeze, i've looked at some past papers and to me it just looks like you need to apply maths to the question with your understanding. Chemistry is definitely a harder A level in my opinion and physics is actually interesting
Reply 15
I have finished the Physics A-Level and I did not find AS Physics too difficult if you also work outside the classroom to understand the concepts. It gets harder at A2. So if you do not like it at AS you can drop it.
Reply 16
Original post by sneakbo2
it's not that bad jheeeeze, i've looked at some past papers and to me it just looks like you need to apply maths to the question with your understanding. Chemistry is definitely a harder A level in my opinion and physics is actually interesting

YOUR OPINION IS NOT VALID YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT.

lolol jk.
How you beeeen tho :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only 1 topic out of the four for AS Level Physics is applied Maths which Is Mechanics, and even in this, you'll hardly use maths because Physics is just awkward and loves testing your reading off the calculator ability rather than Maths ability.

The other three Topics are Electricity/Particle Physics and Quantum Theory/Waves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isabella224

I did OCR physics AS this year and thought I would get a B overall as during my unit 2 exam I ran out of time leaving 12% of the paper completely blank! Yet the UMS god was ridiculously kind and set it so that 85% raw marks gave you 100% UMS, so I ended up with a high A.
Not sure if this helps, but just my story.

Moral: UMS can carry you
(edited 10 years ago)

I've said this before in other threads, but I'll let you guys know too.

Physics at AS really looks more daunting than it actually is. The most difficult part of the maths is pretty much re-arranging equations, which really isn't hard at all when you've done it for a couple of months. Most of my class were able to get A-C grades. After a while of learning physics, you pretty much change how you think when presented with a problem, you learn how to break them down into manageable chunks and tackle them bit by bit. And my goodness it feels satisfying when you get a huge problem right by doing that! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest