The Student Room Group

Improving my Application

Hey guys,

So I'm going into Year 12 right now and my GCSE scores were a little mediocre (2A*s in Maths and History, 7As in Spanish, English Language, Bio, Chem, Physics, English Literature and Art, and 1B in French :s-smilie:) My results are good but they're not brilliant, especially considering I go to a Grammar School.
I'm taking Bio, Chem, Maths, History and General Studies for AS and will probably be dropping Maths and General Studies at A2. I'm obviously aiming for 4/5 As at the end of AS and all As at least at the end of A2. I've identified what I did wrong at GCSE (NOT ENOUGH REVISION :biggrin:) and plan to work much harder at A Level from the first lesson.
I volunteer once a week in the small Chapel at my local Hospital, transporting patients from their ward to the Chapel and also volunteer regularly at one of the small shops in the same Hospital which raises money for the Hospital (last year they raised aprox. £100,000)
I've also volunteered at a GP for one week and spent one week at 6 six different departments at a Hospital (ranging from A&E to Radiology to Surgery- It was Great!) I also do a lot of extra curricular activities at my school, ranging from Debate Club to Head of School Council) I speak 3 different languages fluently, not including English, two of which I taught myself (even though my first language is English) and I have been altar serving for the past nine years.

My current Uni choices are
1. UCL (first choice)
2. Either Cambridge or Barts
3. Bristol
4. Leicester

Even though, whilst typing all of this out, I was thinking 'Wow, I've done quite a bit of stuff', I know how competitive Medicine is, especially at UCL which is where I've been dreaming to go for as long as I can remember.

I know my GCSEs put me at a disadvantage, but if there is even the slightest way to improve my Application, could you please please reply to this post.
Even if you don't have anything to contribute, you can PM me or quote me on advice on how to get Work Experience, Voluntary Work or anything else, I'm researched a lot of Med School Unis quite extensively, it's actually a little embarrassing.

Please Note: That I'm not trying to brag or 'show off' on what I have done so far or trying to belittle anyone; I'm literally so worried that I'm not going to be good enough for UCL, or any medical school, and I'm not here to ask if I am either, but I would just like to know how I can improve my Application.
Anything will be helpful; thank you! :smile:
My first reaction to your post: You are crazy!

Your application is very very competetive right now and can be even stronger with a high UKCAT score. You certainly have enough work experience and voluntary work considering that you did all that stuff whilst you were studying 5 AS Levels. All you need to do is make sure you use the activities well in your PS.
As for your GCSE grades, I believe they are very strong and you shouldnt worry about them. All your choices would regard those GCSE's as strong, but I wouldnt know about Cambridge.

You application is strong and makes mine feel weak lol
Reply 2
get good ukcat scores and do well in your a levels + get more work experience and you will be fine
Original post by TheRedPineapple
My first reaction to your post: You are crazy!

Your application is very very competetive right now and can be even stronger with a high UKCAT score. You certainly have enough work experience and voluntary work considering that you did all that stuff whilst you were studying 5 AS Levels. All you need to do is make sure you use the activities well in your PS.
As for your GCSE grades, I believe they are very strong and you shouldnt worry about them. All your choices would regard those GCSE's as strong, but I wouldnt know about Cambridge.

You application is strong and makes mine feel weak lol

Thank you so much! I honestly feel the same way as you, all the people in TSR are getting mostly offers and their GCSE/AS Grades are crazy good, like all A*s good. Your reasurrance has brightened my day, and gave me motivation to get through my A Levels.
Thank you! :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smd4std
get good ukcat scores and do well in your a levels + get more work experience and you will be fine

Hi, thanks for the reply! What additonal work experience would you suggest would be beneficial? And do you have any tips to getting great A Level grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by WannabeDoctor03
Hi, thanks for the reply! What additonal work experience would you suggest would be beneficial? And do you have any tips to getting great A Level grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

-shadowing a gp
-working in a care home (helping old people)
-work experience at a hospital
-first aid training
-disability centres
-pharmacy

also the only way to get great a level grades is to organise and timetable well and study a lot! practice your exam techniques, do past papers and make sure you are able to finish the papers without going over time etc. just practice practice practice

take a look at this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Work_Experience
Original post by smd4std
-shadowing a gp
-working in a care home (helping old people)
-work experience at a hospital
-first aid training
-disability centres
-pharmacy

also the only way to get great a level grades is to organise and timetable well and study a lot! practice your exam techniques, do past papers and make sure you are able to finish the papers without going over time etc. just practice practice practice

take a look at this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Work_Experience

I'm scheduled to begin a couple of shifts as a Healthcare Assistant in a couple of months. Would that be sufficient?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by WannabeDoctor03
I'm scheduled to begin a couple of shifts as a Healthcare Assistant in a couple of months. Would that be sufficient?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending