The Student Room Group

Suits and Sub-fusc - black?

Just wondering.

Do most people at oxford wear black suits? Or am I just seeing it that way due to the black subfusc?

I heard you're allowed to wear any dark (except brown) suit - so black, dark navy, dark shad of grey etc. But when I see matriculation images and videos, everyone are invariably wearing black. I admit that black looks better with the black subfusc than say navy or grey, but is this a rule? Or do people just choose to go for black?

I was just wondering because full black suit looks dull under bright sunlight and I thought most people prefer dark navy or gray over black, but all Oxonians seemed to wear black :/
Reply 1
Original post by SPark9625
Just wondering.

Do most people at oxford wear black suits? Or am I just seeing it that way due to the black subfusc?

I heard you're allowed to wear any dark (except brown) suit - so black, dark navy, dark shad of grey etc. But when I see matriculation images and videos, everyone are invariably wearing black. I admit that black looks better with the black subfusc than say navy or grey, but is this a rule? Or do people just choose to go for black?

I was just wondering because full black suit looks dull under bright sunlight and I thought most people prefer dark navy or gray over black, but all Oxonians seemed to wear black :/

You absolutely do not have to wear a black suit. Go for dark grey or navy lots of people do, even if the pictures you've seen don't seem to bear this out.
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
You absolutely do not have to wear a black suit. Go for dark grey or navy lots of people do, even if the pictures you've seen don't seem to bear this out.

Haha I like how you just assumed that I am one of the freshers this year :biggrin:
Repped you cuz you're nice :biggrin:

I'm a 2014 applicant, and have a long way to go yet, but searching for oxford stuff keeps me motivated, so yeah :smile: I wish I could stand next to all oxonians next year :colondollar:

But about the suits again, I already have a total black (its color code would be #000000 I'm sure :/) suit, and I always regretted getting it because I thought I would use it only on funerals. But if it is frequently worn at oxford, well another reason to go for Oxford :biggrin:!
Original post by legalreality
What about for exams? (I don't actually know the answer to this- I'd just always assumed black was the rule and you'd probably know seeing as you're a guy!) :smile:

That includes exams.

Personally I slightly regret having a dark grey suit, but it's definitely allowed.
Reply 4
Original post by fluteflute
That includes exams.

Personally I slightly regret having a dark grey suit, but it's definitely allowed.

Why do you regret it if I may ask? Is black better in your opinion?
Original post by SPark9625
Why do you regret it if I may ask? Is black better in your opinion?

Because the gowns are black, a black suit may look a tad better. It's all minor though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending