The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

UCL = 28th place THES World Rankings.
UNSW = 40th place THES World Rankings.
tigtag
I have offer to read Law/Commerce from University of New South Wales and straight Economics from UCL.

Which one you think is better?

No brainer at all. Surely the sacrifice of cost is worth it just to be at UCL.
Obviously UCL unless you plan to work and live in AUS for the rest of your life.
Reply 4
fuglyduckling
Obviously UCL unless you plan to work and live in AUS for the rest of your life.

Not really. A lot of my friends parents have degrees from unsw/usyd and have been posted to locations in the EU for IBanking.
Reply 5
loooooooooooool UNSW...UCL rocks
I know nothing about UNSW, so I can't really say. Then again, I'm surprised how apparently 'in the know' some of you are...
Reply 7
President_Ben
I know nothing about UNSW, so I can't really say. Then again, I'm surprised how apparently 'in the know' some of you are...

good opinion
With UNSW u have the advantage of availability of combined degrees....with often adds value to ur course.....for example, in most aussie unis u can get the combined LLB and BComm in 5 yrs.....which saves u 2 yrs over doing LLB and Bachelor of commerce seprately.....(LLB = 4yrs, B.Commerce = 3 yrs).

However, commerce is not a particularly strong point for UNSW.....UNSW rankes much better in the world rankings for engineering and technology (16th worldwide for eng. and technology).

If u r interested in aussie unis, UNSW is a good choice, but University of Melbourne or Monash r better options.
Reply 9
AhmadMujtaba
With UNSW u have the advantage of availability of combined degrees....with often adds value to ur course.....for example, in most aussie unis u can get the combined LLB and BComm in 5 yrs.....which saves u 2 yrs over doing LLB and Bachelor of commerce seprately.....(LLB = 4yrs, B.Commerce = 3 yrs).

However, commerce is not a particularly strong point for UNSW.....UNSW rankes much better in the world rankings for engineering and technology (16th worldwide for eng. and technology).

If u r interested in aussie unis, UNSW is a good choice, but University of Melbourne or Monash r better options.

Sorry, but in australia (where he would probably be employed) UNSW and uni melb are regarded as the best universities for commerce. UNSW is possibly a little worse at Law than USYD/Uni Melb, but its commerce course is the strongest.

Ben, most people in here are stupid enough to go by ranking tables alone.
bally

Ben, most people in here are stupid enough to go by ranking tables alone.

Well if you assume that because the original poster has posted on a British forum and has applied and been accepted at a British university, that he/she is interested in a career in IB here in London then its an easy choice of going for UCL. No doubt that UNSW has a reputation (never heard of it before but from what peolpe are saying on this forum), but London offices of banks know a lot better the strengths and abilities of UCL economists and so it makes the job for your average lazy HR person a lot more easier in judging suitability. Its not stupidity, its common sense.
Reply 11
Thank you for all advices
Frankly, I really want to have a career in IB in London, rather than in Sydney. However, some of my friends say it is very hard for a foreigner to find a decent job here, especially IB. Can anybody tell me how likely I will find a decent job say front office at GS after graduation with economics degree from UCL? 
depends on the part of the globe youd like to work in in the future. i'd say UCL is probably seen as the more prestigious uni in most countries except australia (or maybe even australia?) i mean, australia does not seem as famous for academics as UK. perhaps U of Melb would be better though
Reply 13
tigtag
Can anybody tell me how likely I will find a decent job say front office at GS after graduation with economics degree from UCL? 

Depends on how good you are! A UCL Econ degree alone wont get you the job.
Reply 14
tigtag
I have offer to read Law/Commerce from University of New South Wales and straight Economics from UCL.

Which one you think is better?

Stay clear of any degree that has the word 'commerce' in it. It's such an old-fashioned term. As for your question I think my comment sums it up. UCL ecnomics is one of the very few degrees offered by the institution which require straight As at A-Level and carries a lot of prestige. Aussie unis are nowhere near the likes of the top London schools, for both career prospects and academic might.
Can anybody tell me how likely I will find a decent job say front office at GS after graduation with economics degree from UCL? 

Specifically in Goldman Sachs? Your odds are in the region of about 5% (which is better than the average of 'less than 1%' by the way). But then, Goldman Sachs isn't the only bank in the City.
Reply 16
el_capitan
Stay clear of any degree that has the word 'commerce' in it. It's such an old-fashioned term. As for your question I think my comment sums it up. UCL ecnomics is one of the very few degrees offered by the institution which require straight As at A-Level and carries a lot of prestige. Aussie unis are nowhere near the likes of the top London schools, for both career prospects and academic might.

Excellent advice:rolleyes:
bally
Excellent advise:rolleyes:

Advise is a verb.
Reply 18
PrinceOfCats
Advise is a verb.

Apologies it was a typo, its 11pm here and I have had a long day.:rolleyes:

Post edited.
bally
Apologies it was a typo, its 11pm here and I have had a long day.:rolleyes:

Post edited.

What I am picking on is that I don't see how it is any more useful to the OP to roll your eyes than it is to give bad advice. According to your profile, you should be 'in the know'; so why don't you actually share this knowledge...

Latest

Trending

Trending