The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduate Applicants entry 2014

Following on from last year with a separate thread for postgraduates, who else is applying to Durham for next years Postgraduate entry?

I'm considering applying to the MA Early Modern History or the MA Social and Economic History (Research Methods). I haven't yet decided, but I'm leaning towards the research MA.

Would be nice to see how the application process goes for others, and, I do wish everyone the best of luck. May we all (hopefully) be accepted to our chosen course :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there.I am applying for English and American Studies next year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I applied for a PhD in Government and International Affairs. Not super hopeful about it though.
Reply 3
I applied for a MA in philosophy, and I am an American student. Hopefully will hear back soon, it seems like a great alternative to Oxbridge and I really like the college system (spent the summer at Oriel College Oxford).
Reply 4
I applied for LLM and got an email that they recommended my application to the college for their consideration... Have no idea what that means really... Can anyone explain the college system to me please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by bell12
I applied for LLM and got an email that they recommended my application to the college for their consideration... Have no idea what that means really... Can anyone explain the college system to me please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It means your application might me considered for them to make an offer.
Reply 6
Hello! I'm an American student and recently got an offer for the MSc in Developmental Psychopathology :smile:. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but I think I'm going to be attending Durham in the fall!
I applied for the MSc Medical Anthropology the other day :smile:

I'm a current undergrad at Durham though so in some ways I would quite like the change of scenery somewhere else, but it's a great course and department so thought I should apply anyway.
Reply 8
I got an offer today for a PhD! Yay! However, there is no news about funding. Does anyone know if Durham has a decent amount of funding? Or is it likely that I will get nothing?
Reply 9
Just got an offer for MSc Diplomacy, Defence and Development - looking forward to next September, good luck everyone!
Reply 10
Original post by katiegud
I got an offer today for a PhD! Yay! However, there is no news about funding. Does anyone know if Durham has a decent amount of funding? Or is it likely that I will get nothing?

Depends on where you are from. I am an international student and we are being offered just have departmental bursaries for English Studies master's. UK/EU applicants have more options though.
Reply 11
Original post by ritu_21
Depends on where you are from. I am an international student and we are being offered just have departmental bursaries for English Studies master's. UK/EU applicants have more options though.

I'm from the US, so that doesn't bode well for me.
Reply 12
Original post by katiegud
I'm from the US, so that doesn't bode well for me.

I think there are scholarships for US students specifically.Check their website.:smile:
Reply 13
One of my referee,she cannot open her institutional web mail and hence cannot submit a reference for me. I don't have anyone else who can provide reference. Any suggestions,what should I do?
I have already submitted my application so should I mail them a written scanned copy?
The uni is closed till 2nd jan btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi everybody!
I'm going to apply for an MA in Translation Studies at Durham.
I've got various other options, of course, but Durham is my most favourite. Perhaps, I'm being a bit too ambitious, but dreaming is never a bad thing. :-)
I'm having a little bit of a hard time trying to figure out how the college system works and which college is best for my subject and needs. Before starting hte application procedure, I actually had never taken colleges into consideration.
Original post by Keytarraio
Hi everybody!
I'm going to apply for an MA in Translation Studies at Durham.
I've got various other options, of course, but Durham is my most favourite. Perhaps, I'm being a bit too ambitious, but dreaming is never a bad thing. :-)
I'm having a little bit of a hard time trying to figure out how the college system works and which college is best for my subject and needs. Before starting hte application procedure, I actually had never taken colleges into consideration.

Hey,

You don't have to worry about the college system just yet. First, submit your application to the University - they will forward it to your prospective department for consideration. If you are accepted, then the university will send you an application to the college of your choice. Additionally, you are guaranteed a spot at a college, as all enrolled students at Durham must consecutively be enrolled at one of their colleges.

Some of the colleges are more traditional than others. I'm assuming as a postgraduate that if you do not state a preference, they will lump you into the large postgraduate college, Ustinov. From what I gather, it's not as traditional and structured like the more traditional, gown at dinner colleges (University, St. John's, St. Mary's, St. Chad's, Hatfield .

I hope this helps a bit!
Reply 16
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Original post by californiahist
You don't have to worry about the college system just yet. First, submit your application to the University - they will forward it to your prospective department for consideration. If you are accepted, then the university will send you an application to the college of your choice.

Actually, I worry about this aspect because the application form includes questions about college preference and accommodation. So, I thought this was going to be decided from my answer in the application form.
Original post by sko127
Hello! I'm an American student and recently got an offer for the MSc in Developmental Psychopathology :smile:. I'm still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but I think I'm going to be attending Durham in the fall!

Cool! I'm an American who recently received an offer to study International Studies at Durham next year.
I am a final semester undergraduate foreign student, I am applying for the MSc Internet and Distributed Systems Technologies program in Durham. How long does it really take to get a response from them?
Reply 19
I'm a Canadian student with an offer for the MA Medieval and Early Modern Studies. I haven't officially accepted yet, but I plan to :smile:

Expensivestephen - I think it differs depending on the course that you've applied for as the applications are considered by the department, but I submitted my application on Saturday Jan. 25 and got my offer on Wednesday Feb. 5. Good luck!

Latest