The Student Room Group

Can I apply for both foundation and degree courses?

Can I apply for both art & design foundation AND BA degree courses? Someone said it's possible but can someone please tell me if this means that my five uni choices should include both foundation and degree? Or can I put my five choices for graphic design BA course, and apply for foundation too? My art teachers are really not helping us with this stuff so I have no idea..
Original post by jc20
Can I apply for both art & design foundation AND BA degree courses? Someone said it's possible but can someone please tell me if this means that my five uni choices should include both foundation and degree? Or can I put my five choices for graphic design BA course, and apply for foundation too? My art teachers are really not helping us with this stuff so I have no idea..

You apply to art foundation courses directly to the college, not via Ucas, and you can apply for as many as you like. If you are also applying to university then you still have your 5 spaces on the Ucas form to fill. Be aware, though, that most of the best art degrees will expect you to have done a foundation and although you can be accepted directly onto a degree course, in practice you will be competing against a majority of applicants who have done one.
Reply 2
Thank you! Your answer was very helpful! :smile: Yeah I know that it's a risk going to do degree course straight away, but some universities that I've looked at (Winchester School of Art and Reading) don't require you to have a foundation done.
Original post by jc20
Thank you! Your answer was very helpful! :smile: Yeah I know that it's a risk going to do degree course straight away, but some universities that I've looked at (Winchester School of Art and Reading) don't require you to have a foundation done.

Well, as long as it's somewhere you would have chosen to go anyway, rather than that you are just picking places because they don't want a foundation, then you have nothing to lose.
Reply 4
Yes definitely! I am going to pick them anyway but it's great that it's not required. It's just because I really don't want to have to foundation as I don't want an extra year and I already know what type of design I want to go into.
Original post by jc20
Yes definitely! I am going to pick them anyway but it's great that it's not required. It's just because I really don't want to have to foundation as I don't want an extra year and I already know what type of design I want to go into.

It's a useful year to build up a good portfolio, and you will be competing with people whose foundation year has enabled them to build a very impressive and targeted portfolio, but it's entirely up to you, of course.
Reply 6
Yeah that is what I'm really worried about and why I'm thinking of applying to both in case I don't get in to the BA course. Do you know any good colleges that do good foundation courses?
Original post by jc20
Yeah that is what I'm really worried about and why I'm thinking of applying to both in case I don't get in to the BA course. Do you know any good colleges that do good foundation courses?

It's very much a local thing. It doesn't really matter much where you do your foundation, although it's nice to do it somewhere with good facilities, but really it's just a means to an end. So many people have told me it was the best year of their life.

Quick Reply

Latest