The Student Room Group

Cambridge or Oxford for Medicine?

What's the difference between applying to Cambridge and applying to Oxford for medicine? Surely they both have the same academic prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Apply to London met, better than both.
Reply 2
Flava you are an idiot.

OP have a look at both websites and see if there are any obvious differences, but under my knowledge there's limited differences apart from what happens when you get to the practical sides of things
Original post by MissMedicine
What's the difference between applying to Cambridge and applying to Oxford for medicine? Surely they both have the same academic prestige?

They both require you to have done the BMAT
Oxford's requirements are strongly based on GCSE performance, whereas Cambridge values high AS UMS
Both give a standard offer of A*AA

Oxford students have to do a BA in Medical science whereas Cambridge offers more flexibility with the choice of BA subject
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4

They do, in terms of world ranking it changes yearly between Cambridge, Oxford and Harvard.

I applied to Cambridge simply on the grounds that I like it more and it's closer to home. There's virtually no difference in terms of academic prestige.
Reply 5
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit

I tried giving you ratings, but it's saying you have to give another member rating first... LOOOOOOL
Foreaaaaaaal, London mets the one!
Academic prestige? Both as good as each other. Quality at teaching clinical medicine? Equal to every UK medical school. Course structure? More similarities than differences, but look them up - how much do you want to do full body dissection for example. Awesomeness? Clearly Cambridge wins.
Original post by Rob da Mop

Just to clarify, Rob is biased. However, he is correct :biggrin:.
Reply 8

London Met jokes again, Classic:rofl:
Reply 9
Living in different cities? Pretty big difference :tongue:

Seriously though, the courses are quite similar; main differences are within the 3rd year BA degree (Cambridge course has more choices, more variation), Oxford does prosecution, Cambridge does full-body dissection. Otherwise, the courses are really similar and their teaching is of equal standard :biggrin:
Original post by iano101
Flava you are an idiot.

OP have a look at both websites and see if there are any obvious differences, but under my knowledge there's limited differences apart from what happens when you get to the practical sides of things

And you're an idiot if you didn't realise I was joking...
Reply 11
No such thing as a best medical school.

Therefore pick the one which favours you most socially and perhaps teaching style (if you can get info on this from fellow tsr members).
(edited 10 years ago)

:jerry:

:rofl:
Reply 13

Oxford seem to have a lot fewer places than camb for medicine
Original post by CasualSoul
:jerry:

:rofl:

I've got comebacks :u:
I've got comebacks :u:

"Flava you are an idiot."

lmao :rofl3:
Doesn't matter where you study medicine in the UK as long as you like the course/ place.
Reply 17

I was kidding, so it seems you are the idiot if you did not realise that I knew that you were joking so gave you a half witted response of equal value to your joke. It's cool apology accepted. :borat:
Reply 18
All medical schools technically have the same prestige so it doesnt matter if you go to Oxbridge or somewhere like Leeds, Plymouth.
Reply 19
Oxford has the best medical school in the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending