The Student Room Group

Misread the text in CIE iGCSE English reading paper?

Did anyone else take this exam today? I'm worried because the extract was about a ship that collided with a "sea monster" which turned out to be a submarine, and the protagonist was thrown overboard. There was a bit where he discussed with somebody else who had also been thrown overboard that the ship's propeller had stopped working, but I misread it and thought this meant the ship had sunk, and I referred to the ship sinking in my answer even though it actually didn't. I'm not sure how many times I actually used the words "the ship sunk", but I think it might have been at least two and I know definitely at least once. The question was divided into three parts, one of which was an account of what happened, so I wrote in that bit that the ship sunk but the other two bits may be ok. I'm really worried that writing this will significantly lower my grade though because it's out of 20 marks, 15 for thorough reading and 5 for writing, and although I think my writing was fine, if I wrote that it sunk then I clearly didn't read it properly... I'm aiming for an A* in English and I know I did well in my speaking and listening. I have the writing paper on Friday, so I'll have to do really well in that. How badly do you think this stupid error will affect my grade? The exam number/type was 0522, first language English.
Oh and this question was one of three, the other two combined are worth 30 marks and this question is worth 20. Hopefully I did ok on the other two, but I'm really worried now I won't be able to get an A* and English is one of my best subjects.
I gave that same paper, and yeah the passage was a but confusing. I had to read it like thrice before I started. Tomorrow you'll have to do really well in paper 3 to make up for it, but don't worry, you'll surely get like 10 marks for it at least. Try not to think about it while writing your next paper.
Original post by iamnotme
Did anyone else take this exam today? I'm worried because the extract was about a ship that collided with a "sea monster" which turned out to be a submarine, and the protagonist was thrown overboard. There was a bit where he discussed with somebody else who had also been thrown overboard that the ship's propeller had stopped working, but I misread it and thought this meant the ship had sunk, and I referred to the ship sinking in my answer even though it actually didn't. I'm not sure how many times I actually used the words "the ship sunk", but I think it might have been at least two and I know definitely at least once. The question was divided into three parts, one of which was an account of what happened, so I wrote in that bit that the ship sunk but the other two bits may be ok. I'm really worried that writing this will significantly lower my grade though because it's out of 20 marks, 15 for thorough reading and 5 for writing, and although I think my writing was fine, if I wrote that it sunk then I clearly didn't read it properly... I'm aiming for an A* in English and I know I did well in my speaking and listening. I have the writing paper on Friday, so I'll have to do really well in that. How badly do you think this stupid error will affect my grade? The exam number/type was 0522, first language English.
Oh and this question was one of three, the other two combined are worth 30 marks and this question is worth 20. Hopefully I did ok on the other two, but I'm really worried now I won't be able to get an A* and English is one of my best subjects.
. I done this paper and I didn't have a clue who the captain was that was the most annoying thing also tommorw we will be doing a writting paper what come up in writing paper for example :inform, persaude,script help I don't know does these thing come up
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey!

I did the same paper as you and I also did the writing paper today. After having spoken to lots of people who did the exam, loads of people misread the text in different ways. I know some students who thought the submarine WAS a whale, and had written about that for the full exam. I'm sure you'll do fine, there were 3 bullet points as you mentioned and I'm sure some of the content in your first bullet point will still be relevant to what it says in the text.
My take and teacher's take on the exam:

Question 1 I understand wasn't answered assuredly across the board; I didn't talk to anyone whom knew for sure who the 'captain' was; I read the passage thoroughly too. I came to an opinion that it was his friend (not Ned) who was demanding help, however most others said it was the captain of the submarine (although why would he be concerned about him?). It wasn't made clear but you'll still still receive partial credit for understanding. It was also quite a complicated passage to comprehend; as stated above, a number of actually quite intelligent people didn't realise that the 'whale' was actually a submarine. I wouldn't have thought this will recieve any credit at all for understanding and seriously compromises their mark for Q1 and Q2.

The question 2 was typical, although some of the vocabulary was rather perplexing and it was quite metaphorical. Simply choosing 2-3 points per paragraph and well evaluated (which shows understanding of language and it's effect on the reader) will receive a good mark, although some people didn't choose to evaluate paragraph 11 which limits their maximum mark on that question to 6/10 and it was stressed that you had to choose points about the SEA and the SUBMARINE - irrelevant comments won't be penalised but equally won't be credited.

I gather that Question 3 was answered better, however many failed to understand what 'attractions' meant in passage 2. There was even one person in my year who made the assumption before reading the passage that the professor had drowned and so shows little understanding of the text. But summarising the main points and encapsulating your answer using sophisticated vocabulary will be what is required for full marks.

Overall, 35/50 generally gets an A* with 30 for A and I don't think this year will be any exception; in comparison quite a tough paper but don't worry about it. Many will have slipped up in different areas and like yourself, I'm sure I have too. I hope my C/W marks and S+L marks will compensate.
Reply 5
Your answer to question 1 is meant to be
Hello Athmikas; I just want to reiterate that it is the quality of your communication and the content of your answers which pick up marks.

Firstly, the captain aspect of question 1 takes up a little proportion of the 20 marks in Q1. These marks will be awarded as to how well you communicate the knowledge you've picked up in the passage; strictly speaking, the bullets are guides and each year are always inferred by candidates differently. IGCSE I'm sure have been deliberately vague as they always are and it enables them to differentiate particularly between A / A* candidates.

Question 2 marks you as to how LANGUAGE creates EFFECTS; this is marked on how well candidates understand language. Boundary 4 (5-6 marks) states that this band may be for those who have analysed more language on one paragraph than another. But, it clearly states: Full marks can be still awarded for candidates who have shown excellent understanding of language through a low number of points. So do not worry about it... even though it could have been better! (For every one).
Ah, I remember the CIE IGCSE. I took it last year and got an A, which absolutely took me by surprise - I hardly finished any of my answers and I didn't think even a D was achievable!
Hello everyone
I am really worrried about the igcse english exam :frown:
I read the first text completely wrong I thought the captin was NED !
Will this affect my mark by a significant amount?
Please heeelp :frown:
Original post by athmikas
Hey I did the same thing ! :frown:
Are you sure that it is wrong though ? As far as I know nobody knows who the captain is for sure.

apparently the captain was on the submarine :L
Reply 10
Hello :tongue:, I did the exam too and I am anxiously anticipating results in Jan
I think it does make sense that the captain asked about is the captain of the submarine, and that is what I wrote in the exam.
Does anyone remember what the second bullet point was?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Oh no that isn't what I meant :P
I mean the captain of the submarine, worded my sentence badly.
What about the third?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending