The Student Room Group

South East Asia travelling January/February 2014

I'd really like to go to south East Asia particularly Thailand for the full/half moon party in January for a couple of months. I've looked around all the websites and everything is either too expensive or not worth it. The best company I've found is real gap as it's the cheapest option. But what I'd really like to do is go it alone, but not on my own, so I'm looking for people to go with? Even if it's just for the first leg of the trip?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey,

You will always pay a premium to go through Real Gap or any other company. Some like it because it is convenient and a very easy way to meet people while away (you could quite literally end up in the same boat!), or, because they are tight for time and want to see everything quickly.

It sounds to me like you aren't particularly pressed for time and that you are budget conscious so I definitely don't think you should feel the need to book any long travel tour or experience. However, perhaps a short tour on arrival could be worthwhile (especially if this is your first big trip away) - to allow you to get acquainted with the area and to meet some people initially. Even if they are off to other places or on different areas you'll probably hear from them about places they've been that you'll then want to visit yourself! If you stay in hostels thereafter there will be plenty of people you'll meet, I'm sure there will be great people you will meet who will want to travel in roughly the same direction.

I think the main thing is to be flexible and open minded. Even if you find people on here and decide to travel with them, perhaps plan out the first couple of weeks and keep an open mind as to where you'll all move on from there. Once you travel with someone or a group for a couple of weeks you may want to branch off and do your own thing!

I've been doing a fair bit of research myself about Thailand/SE Asia as I'm also heading there myself in the new year. I've not been to the region before but have done a bit of travelling before so let me know if you have any questions!

Quick Reply

Latest