The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cataclysm
and exam boards need it as well.

Which is pretty harsh when you think about it because 2 B grade students who both missed an exam due to illness and got awarded their predictions could end up with different grades even though they would have performed equally well had they done the exam. One could have been predicted an A to encourage them and the other a C to make them work harder.
Reply 21
I found that it all depends on the exam - sometimes they are too easy or too hard destroying the point of grade predictions. For RE everyone got at least a grade higher than expected and at least a grade lower for History. It all depends.

Also, for mocks in particularly - who revises? Without revision it will be harded to achieve the predicted grade.
Reply 22
Jon_TOTW
Also, for mocks in particularly - who revises? Without revision it will be harded to achieve the predicted grade.

I do (as do a lot of other people ^o))
Daydreams
I do (as do a lot of other people ^o))

Same...:rolleyes:
The accuracy of predicted grades really do vary. But you should know yourself what you are capable of if you really think about it. I was predicted 7 A*s and 6 As in year 10, 9 A*s and 4 As in year 11 and in the end I achieved 11 A*s and 2 As so I guess they were pretty accurate.
Reply 25
it depend sreally on how much effort you have been putting in at the time that they make the targets in some of my subjects i was putting in little effort (RE) and so wads predicted a C but ended up with an A as i did some work so it depends if you think that you are working as best you can at the time of the predictions thery will be closer to you actual grades that you recieve
i was predicted 2A's 6B's and 2C's and in the end i came out with 3A*'s 6A's and 1B so it really does depend on how you work and whether your coursework has been accounted for as well
ZanyZanny
i was predicted 2A's 6B's and 2C's and in the end i came out with 3A*'s 6A's and 1B so it really does depend on how you work and whether your coursework has been accounted for as well

That's a very sweet improvement - raising, on average, a grade in every subject :biggrin:
Reply 27
calcium878
That's a very sweet improvement - raising, on average, a grade in every subject :biggrin:

i know i was very impressed with myself:biggrin:
Reply 28
Do people generally get LOWER than predicted? Just because I was predicted 9A*s and 1 A and don't think I'll be getting them. Being ill during the exams didn't exactly help, but still....... I would be disappointed if I did much worse.
Reply 29
I was predicted 4 C's, and managed to get 6 C's and 1 B, which is helluva lot better than my prediction.

I think GCSE results are generally accurate, though there are many occasions when they are not so accurate, as in my case.
Reply 30
i think a predicted grade could be an accurate indicator if it's been predicted by a teacher who has a good idea of your academic ability. Of course you can always do better and prove them wrong, or not put in enough revsion before the exam/ have a bad paper so go down.

I think the worst form of predicted grades are target grades based on national statistics that state sixth form colleges use. They look at your GCSE grades and the subjects you're doing- and give you a set of grades that someone with similar GCSE grades and doing the same subjects would achieve. I think this is a poor way of determining target grades as people may be stronger in certain subjects than others which is not reflected in these target grades. For example at GCSE I got an A in geography (which I have always found difficult) and an A* in French (which was my best subject). Then my target AS grades- based on national statistics- were an A for geography and a B for French. I am more likely to get an A in French than in geography- that is highly unlikely!
sax gal
For example at GCSE I got an A in geography (which I have always found difficult) and an A* in French (which was my best subject). Then my target AS grades- based on national statistics- were an A for geography and a B for French. I am more likely to get an A in French than in geography- that is highly unlikely!

That sounds very similar to my situation. At GCSE I got an A* in French and an A in English lit, yet my AS target grades were an A in English lit and a B in French :confused: And guess what? I ended up with an A in French and a B in English lit :rolleyes: Just because on average, more people get As in English lit than French (I assume that's the reason behind it) they should still take into account individual performance.

Latest

Trending

Trending