The Student Room Group

Condoms

I was quite surprised to read that condoms are far less effective than I thought and i also didn't realise you're actually meant to do more than just put it on and roll it back. With imperfect use they're apparently only 82-90 percent effective but is it still only the case that you need to worry if it actually splits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure what you mean about how to use them, but yes, you only need to worry if it splits. If the cum is retained in the condom, there's nothing to be concerned about.
They are very effective with "perfect usage" ie. used exactly as recommended. I imagine 82-90% is for "typical usage" ie. how people normally use them.
its something like 99% with perfect usage

so even with perfect usage there's that 1% risk...

luckily the chance of aids unprotected is something like 1 in 1000
so with a condom the chance of aids is like 0.00001%!
Reply 4
Original post by Treeroy
Not sure what you mean about how to use them, but yes, you only need to worry if it splits. If the cum is retained in the condom, there's nothing to be concerned about.

I've just recently found out there's 'perfect' use and 'typical' use so there must be differences

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Metropolis
its something like 99% with perfect usage

so even with perfect usage there's that 1% risk...

luckily the chance of aids unprotected is something like 1 in 1000
so with a condom the chance of aids is like 0.00001%!

I was more concerned about pregnancy than HIV

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
OP, the original figure you quoted was like you say for "imperfect" use, or rather, the typical

When being used correctly, Id personally say they are the higher end of 99% in terms of effectiveness (in terms of pregnancy).

Take one out the packet, and try to pierce it with your nails, it takes a considerable amount of force, I cant see the amount of force required ever being exerted during intercourse unless the partner in question has stone walled genitalia,

Blowing it up will give you a good idea of how much they will stretch without breaking, which is very big, again its unlikely it would break this way,

If they're used correctly and still getting females pregnant, then my guess would be the boys playing some nasty practical jokes and putting pins through them. :cool:

Either way, they're much more effective than other means of contraception,
Taking the chances of them breaking and chances of getting the female pregnant anyway, its pretty slim
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Gary23
OP, the original figure you quoted was like you say for "imperfect" use, or rather, the typical

When being used correctly, Id personally say they are the higher end of 99% in terms of effectiveness (in terms of pregnancy).

Take one out the packet, and try to pierce it with your nails, it takes a considerable amount of force, I cant see the amount of force required ever being exerted during intercourse unless the partner in question has stone walled genitalia,

Blowing it up will give you a good idea of how much they will stretch without breaking, which is very big, again its unlikely it would break this way,

If they're used correctly and still getting females pregnant, then my guess would be the boys playing some nasty practical jokes and putting pins through them. :cool:

Taking the chances of them breaking and chances of getting the female pregnant anyway, its pretty slim

The combined pill, ring, patch, implant, depo injection and both types of the coil are all more effective at preventing pregnancy than condoms (all of these are over 99% effective with perfect use, condoms are 98% according to the NHS).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by gemmam
The combined pill, ring, patch, implant, depo injection and both types of the coil are all more effective at preventing pregnancy than condoms (all of these are over 99% effective with perfect use, condoms are 98% according to the NHS).

Was about to point this out, you beat me to it. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Gary23

I've broken one before, not sure how it happened the condom wasn't out of date.

I wasn't scared away from having sex it just came as a bit of surprise (pardon the pun) that they're not that effective and if you're not using them perfectly they're not that safe when you consider the risk. I'm not really sure what the difference is between perfect and imperfect use

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by gemmam

I wouldn't consider the expense and inconvenience of the above being effective.
The cost of all them combined must be proportionally bigger than a pack of condoms. I understand the combination will likely prove better in terms of preventing pregnancy but surely that doesn't make it more effective in general.

I bet if I calculated the chance of my partner not being pregnant purely by use of contraception, after 4-5 years, very active and using condoms only, then that would make it more likely me being infertile, you've got me worried!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HarryJames
I was more concerned about pregnancy than HIV

Posted from TSR Mobile

well now you've got two things to screw you over.
Reply 12
Original post by Gary23
I wouldn't consider the expense and inconvenience of the above being effective.
The cost of all them combined must be proportionally bigger than a pack of condoms. I understand the combination will likely prove better in terms of preventing pregnancy but surely that doesn't make it more effective in general.

I bet if I calculated the chance of my partner not being pregnant purely by use of contraception, after 4-5 years, very active and using condoms only, then that would make it more likely me being infertile, you've got me worried!

I think you've gotten confused. The combined pill is a type of contraceptive pill which uses two hormones instead of one (the one which uses only one hormone is the mini pill which is less effective). I didn't mean the use of all of those methods together (I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be safe anyway). All the contraceptive methods I mentioned in my previous post are individually more effective at preventing pregnancy than condoms are. They're also all available for free on the NHS.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by gemmam
I think you've gotten confused. The combined pill is a type of contraceptive pill which uses two hormones instead of one (the one which uses only one hormone is the mini pill which is less effective). I didn't mean the use of all of those methods together (I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be safe anyway). All the contraceptive methods I mentioned in my previous post are individually more effective at preventing pregnancy than condoms are. They're also all available for free on the NHS.

Looking at statistics from the NHS then, you are right in the fact they appear to be 99% effective.

I have heard of a lot of people getting pregnant with the patch and implant but never with condom, not using them correctly or the persons in question lie it must be,
Reply 14
Original post by Gary23
Looking at statistics from the NHS then, you are right in the fact they appear to be 99% effective.

I have heard of a lot of people getting pregnant with the patch and implant but never with condom, not using them correctly or the persons in question lie it must be,

I've heard the implant is even more than 99% effective, the NHS website says that less than 1 in 1000 women get pregnant while using it so you know some very unlucky people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Gary23

I know of quite a few women who got pregnant using condoms alone, whether or not they were used correctly I don't know.
Reply 16
I've heard the implant is even more than 99% effective, the NHS website says that less than 1 in 1000 women get pregnant while using it so you know some very unlucky people

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't provide statistics but there is nothing stopping people from lying like I said, hence I did not expect the NHS statistics to be higher with implant and patch.

Looking at the figures I think I might want to changed methods of contraception!
Reply 17
Original post by gemmam

Its pointless using most of those together anyway since they do the same thing - the mini pill, patch, coil & implant all use progesterone so itd be pointless using them all (plus you'd end up with hormone imbalances).

Its more of a personal thing. I know lots of girls who can't use oestrogen or progesterone contraceptives (either medical or practical reasons), they use condoms and are fine. Yes statistically they are lowest, probably caused by splitting of them, but most people wont have that problem many time and if they do (with or without morning after pill) its very unlikely that anyone gets pregnant.
I was quite surprised to read that condoms are far less effective than I thought and i also didn't realise you're actually meant to do more than just put it on and roll it back. With imperfect use they're apparently only 82-90 percent effective but is it still only the case that you need to worry if it actually splits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contraceptive Success Stats are normally based on a group of 1000 women over 1 year of being sexually active.

So when a method of contraceptive is reported as 90% - it means that over 1 year 10 out of 1000 women would fall pregnant.

Condoms are not 100% - but no contraception is 100%

Currently the implant and the copper coil are the best options (both about 99.4%) - so 6 in 1000 fall pregnant.

The Pill is about 92 % - so 80 of out 1000 fall pregnant per year.
Reply 19
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Contraceptive Success Stats are normally based on a group of 1000 women over 1 year of being sexually active.

So when a method of contraceptive is reported as 90% - it means that over 1 year 10 out of 1000 women would fall pregnant.

Condoms are not 100% - but no contraception is 100%

Currently the implant and the copper coil are the best options (both about 99.4%) - so 6 in 1000 fall pregnant.

The Pill is about 92 % - so 80 of out 1000 fall pregnant per year.

As I said the NHS reports that less than 1 in 1000 women get pregnant with the implant so that'd be over 99.9% effective. I'm not sure where your statistics come from but I'd say the NHS is pretty reliable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending