The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The only thing that matters at the end of the day is our OBJECTIVE goal.

It's putting oneself in the circumstances which allow lowest risk of being raped/taken advantage of.

Pointless anger at perpetrators does NOTHING. Yes, rapists, and people who take advantage of drunks are in the wrong. This is already blindingly obvious. Your hatred and 'blame' of people who do this is just that. It achieves nothing beyond making yourself angry. In a fairytale pixie world, we would have a perfect judicial system and take measures to eradicate all people with corrupted minds who would do these things. In the real world, this is not possible.

What does this leave us with? Preventative measures and common sense. Don't get yourself so drunk that you make your self susceptible.

/thread.
Original post by MJ1012
People would most definitely tell your Gran to be remember to leave the window closed as it reduces the risk of burglary.
People make mistakes, but if you're drunk and jump into a car and kill a 5 year old because of it, you have to take responsibility.
If you're drunk and jump onto a dick, again you have to take responsibility.
Also, most people who mention the binge drinking do so because they don't like anything about it, whether it's sex, violence, illnesses. etc that stem from it. Just because a lot of people do binge drink, it doesn't mean people can't think it's stupid.
People want to point out that it is good to minimise risk of being a victim or culprit of a crime. People should be able to do this without the cries of "victim blaming"

Oh, so that makes the burglary OK?
Way to make a weird analogy that makes no sense...having sex with a bloke when you are drunk is the same as killing a 5 year old?
Of you should minimise the risk, but that doesn't make it your fault if someone takes advantage - and I wasn't taking about someone being drunk and 'jumping on dick', I'm talking about a girl being absolutely wasted to the point that consent is impossible, and the guy rapes her. What I'm saying is that she should not feel guilty, because although although it was stupid to get to that point, it is very easy to, and it is the bloke who has commited the crime, not her! I'm not against safety information in any way, everyone should know how to be safe and should look out for the friends they have come out with. What I have a problem with is the people that scream 'she deserves it' or 'it's all her fault', or try to defend the rapist in these situations. Sure it's a bit of a grey area at times, but if the girl is too drunk to coordinate herself properly, speak properly, walk properly, and you are sober or nearly sober, it is taking advantage, and YOU not the victim is in the wrong.
Reply 82
Original post by buchanan700
Oh, so that makes the burglary OK?
Way to make a weird analogy that makes no sense...having sex with a bloke when you are drunk is the same as killing a 5 year old?
Of you should minimise the risk, but that doesn't make it your fault if someone takes advantage - and I wasn't taking about someone being drunk and 'jumping on dick', I'm talking about a girl being absolutely wasted to the point that consent is impossible, and the guy rapes her. What I'm saying is that she should not feel guilty, because although although it was stupid to get to that point, it is very easy to, and it is the bloke who has commited the crime, not her! I'm not against safety information in any way, everyone should know how to be safe and should look out for the friends they have come out with. What I have a problem with is the people that scream 'she deserves it' or 'it's all her fault', or try to defend the rapist in these situations. Sure it's a bit of a grey area at times, but if the girl is too drunk to coordinate herself properly, speak properly, walk properly, and you are sober or nearly sober, it is taking advantage, and YOU not the victim is in the wrong.

1.I never said that, but you are more than welcome to show me where I did.
2. I don't think anyone is arguing this, what people are arguing about is how quickly people jump to a conclusion of rape instead of the simplicity of someone doing something (someone) that they wouldn't do sober and when someone questions it they are confronted by angry replies of "victim blaming, misogyny and many other things."

3. I think people in general don't take enough responsibility for getting themselves so pissed they can barely stand, that doesn't just mean because they could get raped but attacked, their body damaged, mugged etc. I think people that regularly and knowingly get themselves into that state need to stop.
Reply 83
Original post by MJ1012
1.I never said that, but you are more than welcome to show me where I did.
2. I don't think anyone is arguing this, what people are arguing about is how quickly people jump to a conclusion of rape instead of the simplicity of someone doing something (someone) that they wouldn't do sober and when someone questions it they are confronted by angry replies of "victim blaming, misogyny and many other things."

3. I think people in general don't take enough responsibility for getting themselves so pissed they can barely stand, that doesn't just mean because they could get raped but attacked, their body damaged, mugged etc. I think people that regularly and knowingly get themselves into that state need to stop.

It's so tiring how some people always assume "taking precautions" = Blaming the victim or making the crime less of a crime.
I don't know whether they are stupid or just can't read.
Reply 84
Original post by dada55
It's so tiring how some people always assume "taking precautions" = Blaming the victim or making the crime less of a crime.
I don't know whether they are stupid or just can't read.

I know. It is pretty much exclusive to rape/sexual assault you get this reaction though.
If I made a thread saying "I had my ipad stolen, I left it in on the drivers seat in my car with the window wound down and 8 hours later it was gone!" You know people will say "That was a pretty silly thing to do" and be in agreement. however no one is saying "well the guy who stole it isn't guilty because you made it so easy for him."
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
No, I'm sorry (actually, I'm not), but you're simply not right. Quite a few people in this thread have said that it's the woman's own fault for getting so drunk in the first place.

Oh, and if the defendant reasonably believed the woman to have consented, it's not rape. So what you said about "there are rapes and there are rapes" is utter crap. The difference is nothing like manslaughter and murder.

You know, if people who've been hit by cars hadn't left their houses, it wouldn't have happened.

Why do I read TSR, it's horrible. :frown: Disgusting people on here. Will rep.
Original post by illusionz
Woman at party gets drunk, gets with guy, goes upstairs, has sex, too drunk to remember in the morning, claims it was rape.

Woman walks home, attacked by masked man who drags her into a bush and rapes her.

Do you seriously think those two offences are equal? One is quite obviously more serious, and thankfully, is taken as such by our courts.

If you leave your door open and get burgled, its partially your fault. If you leave your laptop on your car seat, and it gets stolen, its partially your fault. If you get drunk and get with someone then have sex but can't remember, it's partially your fault.

If you are so drunk, you cannot consent because you don't know what is going on, that is rape. It is having sex with someone who doesn't have the capacity to consent. It is the same reason it is illegal to have sex with a fourteen your old even if they are bodily developed.

Original post by thatrollingstone
Nearly all the female responses in this thread have been illogical and emotionally tainted. Please try not to be so dramatic.

Lol, I'm a disgusting human being? I treat my women with more equality and respect than most guys.

And since when did this become purely a man raping woman issue? This kind of scenario could go in any direction; be it man taking advantage of Man, women taking advantage of man etc. The fact that you've automatically focused this on the one subset says a lot about your own biased mindset.

Do you want a medal?
Reply 88
Original post by MJ1012
I know. It is pretty much exclusive to rape/sexual assault you get this reaction though.
If I made a thread saying "I had my ipad stolen, I left it in on the drivers seat in my car with the window wound down and 8 hours later it was gone!" You know people will say "That was a pretty silly thing to do" and be in agreement. however no one is saying "well the guy who stole it isn't guilty because you made it so easy for him."

I can understand its a tough subject and sometimes in the heat of the moment you could go over your limits. But just like with many things in life, one careless mistake/ lack of responsibility could be disastrous. We live in a world where there are all sorts of people so people need to be cautious. If you truly want to get drunk, make sure you have a trustworthy sober friend that will stay with you for the whole night etc.
Reply 89
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

If you are so drunk, you cannot consent because you don't know what is going on, that is rape. It is having sex with someone who doesn't have the capacity to consent. It is the same reason it is illegal to have sex with a fourteen your old even if they are bodily developed.

Everyone knows that, the problem is the line of being too drunk to consent is not clear at all...
Original post by MJ1012
Everyone knows that, the problem is the line of being too drunk to consent is not clear at all...

Rule of thumb don't bang drunk people!
Reply 91
Original post by dada55
I can understand its a tough subject and sometimes in the heat of the moment you could go over your limits. But just like with many things in life, one careless mistake/ lack of responsibility could be disastrous. We live in a world where there are all sorts of people so people need to be cautious. If you truly want to get drunk, make sure you have a trustworthy sober friend that will stay with you for the whole night etc.

Agree with that a lot, other people that make a careless mistake could be the death of someone. Pretty ****ty though to think "I'll go out, get myself in a position where I can't look after myself but I'll bring someone to look after me so they can't enjoy their night."
Reply 92

Not really, a lot of sex has had alcohol involved, it is very common in our culture. Rule of thumb, drink sensibly.
Reply 93

Define being drunk?
There was already a post in here that very rationally explained that you can't always know when someone is drunk.
P.S. Making your post in bold and with big letters does not make it more valid/important. Just makes you look silly.
Do you want a medal?

This is such an inane and utterly useless comment that I don't even understand why you would even bother replying.
Original post by MJ1012
Not really, a lot of sex has had alcohol involved, it is very common in our culture. Rule of thumb, drink sensibly.

Thee's a difference between being tipsy and drunk. If someone's tipsy, fine, if they're drunk, no.

But it's not illegal to "bang drunk people" which causes the ambiguity that MJ1012 is describing.

The thing is though alcohol has different effects on people. How do you know when someone is too drunk to consent? What happens if a girl is really drunk but can hold herself together well and can still walk and talk, consents to sex then wakes up in the morning regretting it and can't remember consenting? What if the guy was equally drunk so his judgement was impaired? Would that guy be a rapist? I think the resounding answer would be no and he is guilty of nothing, whereas lots of girls seem to think that he should be castrated.
Original post by dada55
Define being drunk?
There was already a post in here that very rationally explained that you can't always know when someone is drunk.
P.S. Making your post in bold and with big letters does not make it more valid/important. Just makes you look silly.

Not being aware of what is going on. Drunk people, while it may not be apparent how dunk they are, do not look sober. So if you're not sure how drunk someone is, dont bang them

It was in response to a stupid comment.

Original post by thatrollingstone
This is such an inane and utterly useless comment that I don't even understand why you would even bother replying.

Guess you know how I feel about you whole argument.
Reply 99

I can't quite read that. Has something odd happened to your text? :wink:

I agree though. The caveat being that if they have drunk to the point where their thinking is obviously shattered (the body usually follows soon after), you don't have sex with. Tipsy however? Fair game.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending