The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Ask our Admissions Team

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am thinking to apply to Lancaster University to do Financial Mathematics next year. I am currently starting my A2 level, my As grades are:
Maths A, Further Maths A, Accounting B, Economics C.
As the entry requirement are AAA/AAB, can you give me advice which of the three subjects above i should keep and which one should I drop in my second year, because i think doing those four is a bit too much for me and i prefer having 3 good grades than 4s are not as good as those 3s
I really like four subjects but as my economics grade was too low so i worry about it for second year, but i find the subject very useful and interesting.
I definitely doing the maths and further maths, so my consider is between economics and accounting. I just wonder which one is better to take in order to do financial mathematics at your university.
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
What are you looking for in an English Literature personal statement?
Do you still make offers if an applicants predicted grades are one grade lower than the entry requirements of their chosen course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much for your reply May I know whether you will look at my Chinese A level results even if i am a native speaker?
Many thanks!
Hello!

I am interested in studying Theatre and Creative Writing. Do I have to have taken English Literature at As or A level to do so? I have taken A level English Language, Theatre Studies and History, with an As in Geography, would this be sufficient for application?
Original post by faoba
hey,
i will like to know if the university provides the textbooks or i have to buy the book myself if i a doing law
thank you

The majority of text books recommended for a course would be available in the library, with larger numbers of copies for popular titles. However these are shared resources. A number of students do find it useful to buy copies of certain textbooks that they can then reference at any point, it is often possible to buy a book second hand from students who studied the course previously.

Alice Harpley | Undergraduate Admissions Officer
Lancaster University
E: [email protected]
Original post by Katie Bui
Hello, I am thinking to apply to Lancaster University to do Financial Mathematics next year. I am currently starting my A2 level, my As grades are:
Maths A, Further Maths A, Accounting B, Economics C.
As the entry requirement are AAA/AAB, can you give me advice which of the three subjects above i should keep and which one should I drop in my second year, because i think doing those four is a bit too much for me and i prefer having 3 good grades than 4s are not as good as those 3s
I really like four subjects but as my economics grade was too low so i worry about it for second year, but i find the subject very useful and interesting.
I definitely doing the maths and further maths, so my consider is between economics and accounting. I just wonder which one is better to take in order to do financial mathematics at your university.
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

I recommend that you continue with the subjects that you find most interesting and feel best able to achieve highly in. In taking Mathematics you meet the subject specific requirement for the course.

Lancaster University
Original post by abbie369
Do you still make offers if an applicants predicted grades are one grade lower than the entry requirements of their chosen course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

Predicted grades are only one element of an application that is taken into consideration; previous study, the personal statement and the academic reference are also considered. As a result it is certainly possible and quite likely that an offer could be made where an applicant has predicted grades that fall narrowly below the stated entry requirements.

Lancaster University
Original post by mint_chocolate
Thank you very much for your reply May I know whether you will look at my Chinese A level results even if i am a native speaker?
Many thanks!

The Law School may consider a native language A Level if it is studied alongside three other academic subjects.

Lancaster University
Original post by Freya-Frey
Hello!

I am interested in studying Theatre and Creative Writing. Do I have to have taken English Literature at As or A level to do so? I have taken A level English Language, Theatre Studies and History, with an As in Geography, would this be sufficient for application?

Hello!

No, you do not have to have taken English Literature A Level to study this course. All students are required to have studied at least one of the following English subjects: English Language, English Literature, English Language & Literature Combined, Creative Writing.

Lancaster University
Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me about the design interactions course? There isn't a lot of information on the website.

Thanks Harry
Original post by harry sayers
Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me about the design interactions course? There isn't a lot of information on the website.

Thanks Harry

Hello Harry,

I would contact The Design Department within the Lancaster Institute for the Contemporary Arts (LICA). You can get in touch with the admissions tutor via [email protected]. The Admissions Tutor would be happy to answer any specific questions you have and give you a more detailed overview of the whole course.

Lancaster University
Hello, do you offer unconditional offers to any English Literature applicants? If so, what is the process?
Original post by emilyhaighjacobs
Hello, do you offer unconditional offers to any English Literature applicants? If so, what is the process?

Hello Emily,

The English Literature and Creative Writing department are participating in the unconditional offer scheme this year. There is no additional application and all applicants will be considered, however, an interview may also form part of the unconditional offer making process. A number of applicants would then be offered an unconditional offer should they make Lancaster University their firm choice.

Lancaster University
Sorry if this has been answered before - but does doing an EPQ help your chances at all? Specifically I'm looking to do either English Literature & Creative Writing, or Sociology! Many thanks :smile:
Original post by mughushed
Sorry if this has been answered before - but does doing an EPQ help your chances at all? Specifically I'm looking to do either English Literature & Creative Writing, or Sociology! Many thanks :smile:

Hello,

The English Literature and Creative Writing department certainly value the EPQ as a qualification. Typically the standard offer for English Literature is A (English Literature/Language & Literature combined) AB. However applicants taking the EPQ will receive an additional dual offer, typically, A (English Literature/Language & Literature combined) BB plus A in the EPQ.

Sociology also value the qualification but it would not typically be included in any offer made.

I hope this helps.

Lancaster University
Reply 816
Hello,

I am hoping to apply for the Computer Science Bachelors. On your entry criteria it says that you accept applicants with BTEC qualifications.

Does the BTEC have to be relevant to the degree? I am currently studying an Extended Diploma in Public Services, which is not the typical route for one hoping to pursue Computer Science.

Thank you,

Melissa
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by melgee
Hello,

I am hoping to apply for the Computer Science Bachelors. On your entry criteria it says that you accept applicants with BTEC qualifications.

Does the BTEC have to be relevant to the degree? I am currently studying an Extended Diploma in Public Services, which is not the typical route for one hoping to pursue Computer Science.

Thank you,

Melissa

Hello Melissa,

Typically it would be expected that the BTEC is in a related subject (Computing or ICT). Should you apply with an alternative subject your application would be considered; the admissions office would pay further attention to your GCSEs, with a particular focus on physical sciences, and look for a strong performance overall. Unfortunately it is not possible to guarantee any kind of offer before reviewing a UCAS application.

Lancaster University
Hi,

I am interested in two courses at Lancaster (Environmental Chemistry and Earth and Environmental Science), but I would like to know a bit more information about these courses.

How many people apply for Environmental Chemistry each year? I am wondering because whatuni.com says only 7 people applied in 2013, and I am wondering if I am more likely to be made an offer if this number remains this low each year.

Also, the Earth and Environmental Science course requires only one science at A-Level, and I am wondering if the offer for the course would be lower if I were to apply with more than one science at A2?

Thanks for your time! Lancaster is likely to be my firm choice if I receive a reasonable offer, so I look forward to studying there!
Hello,

I have applied for Politics and International Relations at Lancaster. I have two questions I was hoping I could have help with. Firstly, what is your average offer time in terms of responding to an application? Secondly, do you offer unconditional s on this course?

Thank you,
PF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending