The Student Room Group

Is sending UCAS on the deadline too late...?

I am doing an art foundation, and the uni want to send the UCAS on the last deadline, 15th of January I believe (but don't hold me to it xD). I have nearly finished my statement, and choices are pretty much decided. I want to do animation.

I thought a lot of the unis give interviews by January, and feel confused about why my foundation course is doing it that way. I realise they have to do a reference though. The reason I am panicking about it is because at my sixth form last year, they sent them way before the deadline, and had multiple 'deadlines' of when they would send batches of people's applications off (most I think were done before the end of December). This uni wants to do all of us together I guess.

What should I do? Is this deadline too late or am I just worrying too much? Or am I missing something and my uni is doing it a good way?

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
If you are doing an Art foundation you tend to apply direct to the University, not through UCAS. I've applied for Falmouth and CSM for example for Art foundation courses, and I have to fill out separate forms and get references myself.
Original post by cfath123
If you are doing an Art foundation you tend to apply direct to the University, not through UCAS. I've applied for Falmouth and CSM for example for Art foundation courses, and I have to fill out separate forms and get references myself.

OP is already ON the foundation course, i.e. a year ahead of you.

OP, from my son's experience of applying during his foundation year, it seems universities do tend to leave it until the last minute (his went off on Jan 11th) and they do seem to know what they are doing, but ask your tutor and explain your anxieties just to put your mind at rest.
Reply 3
Original post by carnationlilyrose
OP is already ON the foundation course, i.e. a year ahead of you.

OP, from my son's experience of applying during his foundation year, it seems universities do tend to leave it until the last minute (his went off on Jan 11th) and they do seem to know what they are doing, but ask your tutor and explain your anxieties just to put your mind at rest.

Hi, thanks for replying. My tutor said that I can now pay and send if I think I've done everything, but that the uni still wouldn't send them off until the deadline in January. I assume ucas will ask them for a reference after I've sent it?
Original post by beabird
Hi, thanks for replying. My tutor said that I can now pay and send if I think I've done everything, but that the uni still wouldn't send them off until the deadline in January. I assume ucas will ask them for a reference after I've sent it?

No, you can't send it without a reference. Your tutor means you can do all your bit now and they will sit on it until their date for sending them off and attach the reference as it goes off. If you are ready, do it now and get it out of the way. If anything happens to change your mind, your tutor can still send it back to you for changes until the uni sends it off.
Reply 5
Hi, thanks for replying. I saw this a while ago and have just got caught up with it all since! Basically, I talked to my tutor and they changed their minds about how they were doing it. So my UCAS was sent at the end of December, but the tutor didn't see it on the list, so sent it early January, before the deadline. I have one interview so far though! So that's good.
Thanks for helping me earlier :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, Don't worry. Ucas says continue to apply after the deadline. If in doubt, contact the university's admissions team. Good luck.
Original post by roy.tam
Hi, Don't worry. Ucas says continue to apply after the deadline. If in doubt, contact the university's admissions team. Good luck.

OP has sent it before the deadline, as you can see from the post above yours.

Quick Reply

Latest