The Student Room Group

The Sunderland A.F.C Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Good news: Carver to stay at Newcastle! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32582358

Waiting for the 8 year contract pahaha
Rumours of Coloccini and Krul being involved in a fight on the team bus, too! Madness.
I really think you're going to win today ffs.
Please win today, Newcastle can end the weekend in the relegation zone and if that happens they aren't getting out...
I want Sunderland to win. I know it inconveniences us, but I am precisely 108.44% sure we will stay up now.
Defensively, Sunderland has been decent so far and Pantilimon super solid once again. Hopefully you guys can grab a win with a little bit of luck!
Original post by Wilfred Little
I want Sunderland to win. I know it inconveniences us, but I am precisely 108.44% sure we will stay up now.

Villa fan? Damn in 09-10 u finished 6th or something and next season again in the top 10 if I remember right and for the next 4 seasons you couldn't finish higher than 15th. Was Young THAT important? :P I mean it's sad for a club with a fan base that big!
Original post by theo1jinx
Villa fan? Damn in 09-10 u finished 6th or something and next season again in the top 10 if I remember right and for the next 4 seasons you couldn't finish higher than 15th. Was Young THAT important? :P I mean it's sad for a club with a fan base that big!

We'll be back.
Sunderland leads! that's the beauty of football
2-0 Sunderland :biggrin:

Mental end to the game, they've been battered here and nicked another one :biggrin:

Unreal pressure from Everton.
Now let's hope albion beats the magpies! never liked 'em and their disrespectful fans
(edited 8 years ago)
Two big deflections - but when your luck is in, your luck is in. Great result for you lot, and fabulous to see Defoe back on the scoresheet. I'm still massively torn over the Adam Johnson issue, and simply don't think he should be playing, but you can't deny his impact today. I thought he linked up with the front-line exceptionally - and got his just rewards for the assist for the second.

The only decent players for Everton were McCarthy and Coleman and they were surrounded by players who never turned up or were completely off form, in particular a clueless midfield.
Oh you little beauties.
That meeting Advocaat had after the Palace game seems to have worked wonders. Seven points from nine isn't it? He's hailing great work ethic on the training ground, but it has been a remarkable transition from relegation threat to possibly being within one win of staying up.
If Sunderland stay up, Pantilimon should get huge credit... Solid all season long, would've concede much less if it wasn't for the defenders. Definitely one of the top 6 premier league goalkeepers for me
(edited 8 years ago)
If Sunderland stay up, Pantilimon should get huge credit... Solid all season long, would've concede much less if it wasn't for the defenders. Definitely one of the top 6 premier league goalkeepers for me

Disagree completely. He's better than Mannone for sure, but he doesn't come close to DDG, Lloris, Cech, Courtois, Ospina, Krul, Begovic, Forster etc. I'd even rate Adrian, Heaton, Schmeichel and Mignolet above him too.
Original post by Mackay
Disagree completely. He's better than Mannone for sure, but he doesn't come close to DDG, Lloris, Cech, Courtois, Ospina, Krul, Begovic, Forster etc. I'd even rate Adrian, Heaton, Schmeichel and Mignolet above him too.

Ok I agree top 6 might have been a little far fetched, I was just really glad for his performance last night. But Heaton, Krul and Schmeichel higher than Pantilimon? Come on! He has 9/26 clean sheets while they have 8/36 8/27 and 4/21 respectively and their teams are about in the same position in the league :tongue:. This must mean something! Krul made some serious mistakes lately.. On pure talent there are better goalkeepers than him, but he is really solid and has a good mentality during his games. On the worst case a top 10 goalie
(edited 8 years ago)
WE'RE Blooody Staying up. Yesterday was beautiful with our luck, never felt we were losing it but neither winning it
Ok I agree top 6 might have been a little far fetched, I was just really glad for his performance last night. But Heaton, Krul and Schmeichel higher than Pantilimon? Come on! He has 9/26 clean sheets while they have 8/36 8/27 and 4/21 respectively and their teams are about in the same position in the league :tongue:. This must mean something! Krul made some serious mistakes lately.. On pure talent there are better goalkeepers than him, but he is really solid and has a good mentality during his games. On the worst case a top 10 goalie

Fair play, but I think Schmeichel is an altogether better all-round goalkeeper than Pantillimon. I'm not saying Pantillimon lacks quality - quite the opposite, in fact - but I'd definitely choose around ten PL goalkeepers ahead of him quite comfortably.

I find it refreshing that back-up goalkeepers move to bottom-half clubs for games, though. It must be easy to do a Richard Wright and Stuart Taylor and go through your career picking up cheques not doing anything, but plenty don't enjoy it. Fair play to them.
Original post by Mackay
Fair play, but I think Schmeichel is an altogether better all-round goalkeeper than Pantillimon. I'm not saying Pantillimon lacks quality - quite the opposite, in fact - but I'd definitely choose around ten PL goalkeepers ahead of him quite comfortably.

I find it refreshing that back-up goalkeepers move to bottom-half clubs for games, though. It must be easy to do a Richard Wright and Stuart Taylor and go through your career picking up cheques not doing anything, but plenty don't enjoy it. Fair play to them.

Yeah Fabianski too, was back up for the Gunners for 5-6 years? and had quite a solid season in Swansea this year, fair play
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest