The Student Room Group

Is a 2:2 good enough to apply for PG courses?

I want to do some kind of PG course and could have relevant experience outside of education but not much. However, my last UG course I graduated from in 2010 didn't go as well as planned and a 2:2 is not really worth the paper it is written on.

Is it worth bothering applying to unis?
no
Original post by Legendairy
no

If you cannot answer properly, then keep schtum.

I have spent the last 2 years getting experience in the field I want to study in. Although it was independent stuff, and not employment.

I think that experience could make up for a lack of qualifications?

I have had 2-3 years break and now want to get back into formal education.
Reply 3
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Is it worth bothering applying to unis?

Yes, but you'll need to research and shop around.

Some unis/courses allow you to do a PGDip with a 2:2. This is the first two terms of a taught Masters. After that, some (but not all) will allow you to progress to the dissertation and graduate with a full Masters *if* your coursework/exam marks are good.

So you need to start looking around for courses which appeal, then contacting the Course Leaders to ask. Sometimes the PGDip route isn't particularly well publicised. With a 2:2, you'll need to ensure that your academic references are strong.

A couple of my former undergrad colleagues with 2:2s went that route and both now have a full Masters.

Good luck.
Reply 4

I have spent the last 2 years getting experience in the field I want to study in. Although it was independent stuff, and not employment.

As usual, the answer is it depends on what course you are interested in and you want from it. You could almost certainly find a course that will take you but it may not help you get a job.

I didn't get any of that

His answer was a full sentence and an appropriate response to your enquiry.

Is it worth bothering? Between your attitude and your qualifications, nope.
Original post by Klix88

So you need to start looking around for courses which appeal, then contacting the Course Leaders to ask. Sometimes the PGDip route isn't particularly well publicised. With a 2:2, you'll need to ensure that your academic references are strong.

Good luck.

Nobody at my previous uni knows me anymore, so all I will get is a generic reference which states that I was there between X and X.
Reply 8
If your degree was in a decent subject and you have good references and a good personal statement etc.. then yes it's worth applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending