The Student Room Group

Gap year website

Hi I'm currently on a gap year at the moment and over the summer I'm considering setting up a website to collate information, different options and opinions on a year out before further study.

Basically just a place for me to share my experiences and hopefully help others with the decision of whether or not to take a year out, and how to deal with the different roadblocks experienced throughout the year :smile:

It would initially be a blog format so that I can update articles to start with. When numbers grow I want to develop it into a forum, so people can discuss options, ideas, problems and share wisdom basically. This is already getting quite long winded but I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on this idea?

i hope people have questions so I can talk it through and hopefully get an inclination as to whether it is a good idea?

Thanks for reading! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Evilzeus94
Hi I'm currently on a gap year at the moment and over the summer I'm considering setting up a website to collate information, different options and opinions on a year out before further study.

Basically just a place for me to share my experiences and hopefully help others with the decision of whether or not to take a year out, and how to deal with the different roadblocks experienced throughout the year :smile:

It would initially be a blog format so that I can update articles to start with. When numbers grow I want to develop it into a forum, so people can discuss options, ideas, problems and share wisdom basically. This is already getting quite long winded but I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on this idea?

i hope people have questions so I can talk it through and hopefully get an inclination as to whether it is a good idea?

Hey,

Reading over this, I think it's an excellent idea! Most of the gap year websites out there are about promoting their own gap year schemes. It might be an idea to have one that's semi-impartial to this and I reckon that's where your website idea fits in.

Developing it from a blog, in the long term I reckon you could really develop this into a cross between the EuroBrussels website (check it out if you haven't already) and a sort of a gap year tsr forum. This way you have a dedicated section of the website talking about loads of different gap year schemes and then you have the more forum feel where practicalities are discussed between forumites. This could be things such as how they found a certain scheme or even more practical issues such as all the US expat gap year students meeting up somewhere in the US! This idea is very far stretched of course but with patience to see it through I reckon it could be a real winner!

Of course this is only a thought that has come into my head but consider it! Hope this helps

Big Fudge

PS if this turns into a multi million pound website please do remember my suggestion and give me a small stake in the website!
Original post by Evilzeus94

I agree totally with Big Fudge - great idea and not just focused on promoting a company.

Some questions: How would you categorise information - by country or activity?

Also, how would you gather information for blog posts, seeing as there are many more options available for a gap year than time to do it e.g. I could tell you loads about au pairing but not much else!

This is really irrelevant, but what are you up to on your Gap year? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest