The Student Room Group

Mum who drank 24 cans and seven pints a day begs to die at home - aged just 35

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joseon
You ignorant compassionless spiteful piece of ****.

Lol.

I DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU JUST SAID (though there's nothing factually incorrect within) SO I WILL NOW CALL YOU NAMES.
Reply 61
This thread is pretty depressing. And not just because of the article.

Original post by pane123
Is this a fact? If so, please let me see the evidence. Unless you are talking about people with full blown DTs, I very much doubt anyone is ever 'too far gone' to help.

Why DTs? That's temporary and recoverable.

Korsakoff's would be the example to give. Or death.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's all happening here in Sheffield lately, we're forever on the news for something!
Original post by maskofsanity
Lots of people have difficult lives, but not everyone takes the coward's way out by drinking themselves to death.

The cowards way out? Do bore off. If someone has a drinking problem it's incredibly hard for them to stop as with any addiction.
Reply 64
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Lol.

I DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU JUST SAID (though there's nothing factually incorrect within) SO I WILL NOW CALL YOU NAMES.

He makes out like alcoholism is a choice, it isn't, it's a disease; I think you'll find that constitutes a factual inaccuracy. Nobody wakes up one day and says "Today I think I'll become an alcoholic", it's a complex disorder with numerous genetic, socio-economic and psychological contributory factors. To reduce alcoholism to simply 'choosing' to drink too much betrays an utter lack of understanding.

In any case, if somebody show's a complete lack of compassion or sympathy for someone who is in a desperately sad situation then, in my view, they are a ****, and I'm perfectly at liberty to say so.
Original post by Kiss
I'm surprised she hasn't died sooner. But the real loss will be for her children and husband for raising a family. Whilst I support the right to die and euthanasia, I don't think she deserves to die if she's built that much commitment into a family that she's going to take an easy route out.

What? She's going to die anyway; it's not like the choice here is: Look after her children or to be allowed to die. The choice is: Die slowly and painfully, or die how you want to die. Either way she can't look after her children, it's gone way past that point.

If your argument is to say, well she shouldn't have done it in the first place and so has forfeited her right well then that's just sadistic. Firstly, alcoholism isn't something anyone chooses as a way of life, it's an addiction and a disease, so to want to serve further punishment is ludicrous. Secondly, why would you force a woman to go through a slow and painful death just to serve as some sick form of retribution anyway. She should be allowed to choose her own way to die.
Original post by dead101
No it's a selfish addiction that ruins lives of everyone and the alcoholic doesn't care because all they care about is drink. They make it worse themselves. Half the people on this forum have probably never even seen it happen so really you're in no position to tell people they are wrong for being angry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems you don't even really understand what you're saying yourself. Do you understand the concept of addiction?
Yes, the coward's way out.

If you have a family, it is incredibly easy to see where your obligations lie, and it's not with a can of beer.

Complete nonsense.
Original post by Quin87
I would never wish mental illness on anyone, and then I come on TSR and think actually no, maybe I would, so some of you would stop all your judgemental comments that are made of nothing more than pure ignorance.

Alcoholism isn't a choice. Yes, her first drink was a choice. Then her second. But mental illness isn't. We don't know what has gone on in her life. No one drinks alcohol to that excess because their lives are full of glitter and fairies and rainbow and ****. Clearly something pretty awful must have been going on, and she used alcohol as a coping mechanism to block out that, to numb the pain, to make her feel less sad for a while, to help her cope etc. It becomes an addiction, a crutch. Both physically and emotionally.

So please, go back to your happy little lives where you don't wake up every day hating yourself and feeling desperate and overwhelmed as you simply just don't know how you are going to get through it. Where you feel like you're completely broken, and in so much pain that nothing will fix it, but maybe just maybe that drink will fix it. Be grateful that all you have to worry about is your school work, or if your mummy will buy you the latest iPad, or what you're going to wear out on Saturday evening.

I've never been an alcoholic. I feel really sorry for this woman's children and her husband. I also have sympathy for her and feel she does deserve to die at home. And to the person that called her an "it", this doesn't particularly make you rate highly as a human being myself personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely agree. Comments on this thread are absolutely disgusting. Even if you assume that it was self-inflicted (I agree with everything you've said, I'm only arguing hypothetically) then it still remains that the majority of these comments which say things to the effect of 'well she deserves what she got' or saying what a horrible person she is demand such a complete an utter lack of empathy and regard for other people. She is still a person and should not be treated like trash to be thrown out. Such abhorrent people
Yes, the coward's way out.

If you have a family, it is incredibly easy to see where your obligations lie, and it's not with a can of beer.

I'm amazed that this story is provoking such a debate. This is basically the only correct response one can give.
Stop getting so emotional and excited for a second and consider the different perspectives. We do not know what caused her to turn to alcohol. We do know that many people have extremely difficult lives and almost all of them are not in her position. We also know that she has a family who have been relegated in favour of alcohol. No one is treating her like "trash" and no one is denying her of human rights. What people are saying is the truth - that they sympathise with her and her family for this dreadful situation but that the responsibility is on her.

Except numerous people have said they do not sympathise and that she does not deserve sympathy. Some people have even called her an 'it', going as far as to take away her humanity.

Besides, I fundamentally disagree that she is responsible. One cannot stop themselves from inheriting or developing a disease and one does not aspire to become an alcoholic. It is not a choice one makes. I will not get into it though because I know that arguing about it will be pointless and that we will never agree. Merely pointing out that many people have not been sympathetic in the slightest and that people have said things that they themselves would expect as basic rights, such as being able to die with family. So yes, I have every reason to call those people out in disgust of their comments.
Reply 71
If she wanted to go at home to kill herself or have her husband assist her suicide, then I'd agree. However, that doesn't seem to be what she is asking for, more that she wants to live at home with NHS care brought to her. If she wants NHS care, then she can accept it in the form that is easiest for the NHS to deliver.
Reply 72
Original post by nexttime
Why DTs? That's temporary and recoverable.

Korsakoff's would be the example to give. Or death.

Fair point. DTs, however, has a pretty high mortality rate without treatment.
Reply 73
She should be allowed. I honestly don't understand why assisted suicide is illegal
Reply 74
Stop getting so emotional and excited for a second and consider the different perspectives. We do not know what caused her to turn to alcohol. We do know that many people have extremely difficult lives and almost all of them are not in her position. We also know that she has a family who have been relegated in favour of alcohol. No one is treating her like "trash" and no one is denying her of human rights. What people are saying is the truth - that they sympathise with her and her family for this dreadful situation but that the responsibility is on her.

So presumably you also feel the same way about people with depression? They should just pull themselves together and look after their kids, right?
Reply 75
Original post by dead101
Family members dead because they refused to stop. They had support for so many years and family that loved them, got sober a few times but they did not care enough. This woman is clearly too far gone? Many others that have gotten in so far and are possibly old and just don't have it in them/have no desire/don't see the point to stop anymore - mentally or physically. Plus you've just said unless this type of person so that person is too far gone so there goes your anyone can do it statement, you just contradicted yourself.

This woman is too far gone because of an irreversible disease caused by drinking. I refuse to believe that anyone who could stop drinking and otherwise be reasonably healthy is beyond help. Nobody wants to drink themselves to death and doing so is far from easy.

When you are gripped with addiction, a family that loves you doesn't matter.
The fact that one apparently has freedom over everything, except ones own life has always annoyed me. If someone wants to die, let them.
Original post by scriggy
So presumably you also feel the same way about people with depression? They should just pull themselves together and look after their kids, right?

That's incomparable, I am talking about addiction - one doesn't taste a little of depression and then continually returns for more until becoming dependent. Quite the opposite.

I don't agree with viewing addiction as something that was thrust upon someone with no responsibility of their own. Same goes for other over-consumption such as obesity.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I get really annoyed when articles like this end with "I really think the Government should do more to...". No, how about take a little bit of ownership over your own actions. You're a parent for Christ's sake.

Exactly, people use the failure of individuals to take care of themselves as an excuse to exert oppressive power over the entire population. It's unacceptable and this attitude of government dependence must be challenged at all levels of society. We cannot sacrifice our freedom to pay for other people's mistakes in life.
Reply 79
That's incomparable, I am talking about addiction - one doesn't taste a little of depression and then continually returns for more until becoming dependent. Quite the opposite.

I don't agree with viewing addiction as something that was thrust upon someone with no responsibility of their own. Same goes for other over-consumption such as obesity.

No one decides to become an alcoholic in the same way no one chooses to become depressed. The two are very closely linked in any case. Some people with depression throw themselves off bridges, some throw 24 cans down their neck to self medicate. This just looks like a long drawn out suicide to me, and had she just straight up killed herself 10 years ago I doubt the responses on here would have been in the same vein.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending